Can a non nav 3.8 sedan use a stock nav unit?

Thread starter #1

Cgruber35

Hasn't posted much yet...
I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone knows if you can put a genesis sedan nav unit in a genesis sedan that did not come stock with nav? I don't know if the wiring harness is the same or what would have to be done. Also if you can, can u plug and play with the back up camra?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone knows if you can put a genesis sedan nav unit in a genesis sedan that did not come stock with nav? I don't know if the wiring harness is the same or what would have to be done. Also if you can, can u plug and play with the back up camra?
Not without replacing the dash and about $10K of other parts. There is a good after-market Nav unit that fits the Genesis Base Trim (not including 2015):
http://unavi-usa.com/index.php

There are quite a few threads about this in the forum.

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
I have not read anyone who has definitively researched this. If you look at the silver dash fascia round the nav/radio unit, it looks like they have radio-specific inserts. Furthermore, the Premium navigation system might be self-contained and nearly plug-and-play with the stock system. The DIS interface for the Tech system is more involved and would definitely have different wiring.

So, if you like a truly integrated OE system retrofit, then it is worth the research. There are a few online wiring diagram resources to get the start. I have done similar retrofits on other cars, and you can get about 95% of your answers just from the wiring diagrams and looking at pictures of parts on eBay. My hunch is that you would only need to swap the display unit and the CD/radio module below. You can get the parts for a few hundred dollars on eBay.

I am pondering an upgrade to the 2013/2014 Tech navigation system. I am torqued that my 2012 does not have BT streaming. Plus, the 2013 has a much better user interface. In my case, I bet that I only need to swap the CD/DVD unit below the HVAC controls. This kind of stuff is very fun and exciting.

Thread starter #4

Cgruber35

I have a 2013 3.8 and it looks like the oe nav unit would fit exactly in the whole that my stock radio has. That is why I'm asking. On some of the older models the radio looks like you would have to do some serious surgery mine just didn't so I figured if the oe is an option up from the base model it would make since that you would simply be able to plug and play.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I have a 2013 3.8 and it looks like the oe nav unit would fit exactly in the whole that my stock radio has. That is why I'm asking. On some of the older models the radio looks like you would have to do some serious surgery mine just didn't so I figured if the oe is an option up from the base model it would make since that you would simply be able to plug and play.
Yes, the opening is the same, but the sound system, amp in trunk, speakers, etc are different. I think you would crazy to try it. The UNAVI GPS system for Genesis Base Trim models (without GPS) is the way to go, if you can't live with a portable Garmin.

RWMissouri

Getting familiar with the group...
I am interested in this subject having the same issue. The Unavi system looks promising and so far as I know it also comes with the back-up camera. If not correct, please advise.

I don't really understand why the factory unit from a salvage vehicle wouldn't work but everything I have read on the subject says it will not work.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I don't really understand why the factory unit from a salvage vehicle wouldn't work but everything I have read on the subject says it will not work.
The GPS is not a stand-alone unit. It is integrated with the entire entertainment unit, which includes preamp (head unit), amp (in trunk), speakers, etc which are completely different from the Genesis Base Trim model. Also, the Premium Package GPS and Tech Package GPS are not the same and are not interchangeable.

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
The GPS is not a stand-alone unit. It is integrated with the entire entertainment unit, which includes preamp (head unit), amp (in trunk), speakers, etc which are completely different from the Genesis Base Trim model. Also, the Premium Package GPS and Tech Package GPS are not the same and are not interchangeable.
The system may be much more simple than that. Look at the pictures of the parts and their plugs on eBay. It appears that the entire brains of the system may be the CD/DVD unit below. If so, then the core of the A/V system is packaged and integrated with the nav already. The upper interface may just be a dumb screen and knob interface. Even for the Premium system, I suspect that the screen/knob/button unit may just be a dumb I/O unit. So, integration up front may be comprised of multiple parts, but there may only be one part that matters.

Regarding amp and speaker integration, it is not uncommon for the designers to make those somewhat stand-alone so that they can work with multiple front-end configurations. So, swapping out the head unit often works fine with the amp & speakers.

The other key to this is opening the dash and exploring the wiring. Another pattern that some manufacturers follow is that they have one main wiring harness for the car and pigtail sub-harnesses for the specific option components. So, look for an adapter harness up front with the specific plugs to fit the base system. If it has that, then hyundai likely has similar final sub-harnesses for the premium and Tech systems as well.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Regarding amp and speaker integration, it is not uncommon for the designers to make those somewhat stand-alone so that they can work with multiple front-end configurations. So, swapping out the head unit often works fine with the amp & speakers.
There are three different audio systems:
  • Base Trim - 7 Speakers stereo only
  • Premium Package - 14 Speakers - Synthesized Surround Sound (from stereo sources), or Stereo
  • Tech Package - 17 Speakers - Discrete 5.1 Surround Sound from DVD-A, Synthesized Surround Sound (from stereo sources), or Stereo
The number of channels being fed to the amp in the trunk is different for each. I am not even sure if Base Trim has amp in the trunk, or whether it is near head unit.

It should be noted that the UNAVI system mentioned above only works in a Base Trim Model, and cannot replace an existing Premium or Tech Package GPS system. If they cannot do it, I would be dubious as to whether anyone else could (unless a lot of very costly parts are replaced). If you want to try, go ahead, make my day.

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
There are three different audio systems...The number of channels being fed to the amp in the trunk is different for each. I am not even sure if Base Trim has amp in the trunk, or whether it is near head unit.
My point is that this takes a little research and the economics and practicality are up to each individual. The Unavi is very cool, and may be the right answer. However, I am not aware that anyone on our forum has researched a retrofit or upgrade using factory parts.

In very similarly architected systems I have seen, the trunk amp got the same channels regardless of the number of eventual outputs to speakers. And, all of the radio or head unit options could all feed into any of the potential amp (or no-amp) components. They typically feed a two-channel or four-channel signal back to the amp, and then the amp did the DSP pre-processing and then internally fed the audio signals to the discrete output amps. Becker, Alpine, and Harmon Kardon (same manufacturers as Hyundai, sans Alpine) were doing this with interchangeable parts back in 1995 and have been since, to my knowledge. So, it is probable that they continue to use the same system topology in the Genesis.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
My point is that this takes a little research and the economics and practicality are up to each individual. The Unavi is very cool, and may be the right answer. However, I am not aware that anyone on our forum has researched a retrofit or upgrade using factory parts.

In very similarly architected systems I have seen, the trunk amp got the same channels regardless of the number of eventual outputs to speakers. And, all of the radio or head unit options could all feed into any of the potential amp (or no-amp) components. They typically feed a two-channel or four-channel signal back to the amp, and then the amp did the DSP pre-processing and then internally fed the audio signals to the discrete output amps. Becker, Alpine, and Harmon Kardon (same manufacturers as Hyundai, sans Alpine) were doing this with interchangeable parts back in 1995 and have been since, to my knowledge. So, it is probable that they continue to use the same system topology in the Genesis.
I guess it is possible that the DSP processing is done in a unit combined with the amp in the trunk, but if that is the case, then there must be some kind of control signal (in addition to the line level from pre-amp to amp) to control the DSP, since it is highly adjustable.

In any case, this whole exercise seems extremely dubious. If you want to try it that is fine, but I don't think you should advise others to try it unless you know it works. For about $1200 the UNAVI system looks to be a bargain, or better yet use a Garmin.

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
I guess it is possible that the DSP processing is done in a unit combined with the amp in the trunk, but if that is the case, then there must be some kind of control signal (in addition to the line level from pre-amp to amp) to control the DSP, since it is highly adjustable.

In any case, this whole exercise seems extremely dubious. If you want to try it that is fine, but I don't think you should advise others to try it unless you know it works. For about $1200 the UNAVI system looks to be a bargain, or better yet use a Garmin.
Yep, that is exactly the way it worked with a radio manufactured by either Becker or Alpine (changed over time) and amps manufactured by both Lear and Harmon Kardon. The radio fed a 2-channel analog signal directly to the amp, and the CD player fed a 2-channel SPDIF digital signal directly to the amp. The amp did the DSP to convert the radio's audio feed to digital, then it did its magic to convert it back to a 12-channel output. The radio fed all of the controls to the amp via the CAN bus. The topology has remained mostly the same same that I have seen for almost 20 years. That is the basis for my hunch.

I totally get the perceptions of extreme dubiousness. I am not advising anyone to do it; I am advising people to research it and make a fully-informed decision. I am just trying to encourage some greater innovation within our forum. Your suspension upgrade is a great example, but we have not seen much else like that in the past few years. My hunch is that a retrofit with used parts would be about the same cost as the Unavi. So, if someone is creative, technically inclined, motivated, and prefers the factory system, then I would not want to discourage the research and experimentation. We can all benefit, and it really gets fun when the community rallies around a concept like this.

AuToMoSeS

Ok well without any research I procured a oe nav (pn. 96560-2m100vm5 mod# AVN-150bkls4vm5) radio to upgrade a non nav 2011 coupe. 1st step, I removed the stock radio. It had 3 rectangular multipin connectors on the left (Black,brown grey), they plug into the nav unit ok. The nav has 2 round pin antenna connectors. Yellow is XM which I have. Blue is GPS which I do not have and will have to procure. Now the nav unit has a double square grey connector, which I believe on to be the AM FM antenna and possible the other may be a back cam??? The non nav only has a single. Well at this point I powered it up. The display lit up and the speakers produced white noise, which was a good sign of life and compatibility. It was not able to tune in any stations because the antenna plug is not connected, but with a small mod I can adapt this. I turned on the Nav and it seem to function properly with the exception no GPS location due to no antenna. Well at this point I had to reinstall the stock radio because my wife had to go to work. As far as finish trim, the stock radio and HVAC share a one piece trim, The Nav has its own upper finish trim. 2 options, procure the factory trim or I may cut the upper radio trim off, it looks like this can be done cleanly and look factory. If any has any spare parts or sugestions, please let me know. I hope this helps those looking to due the swap. One mor thing, there are 2 more connections right of center a rectangular white 24 pin and a smaller black 4 pin. may be for amp and backup cam????

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Ok well without any research I procured a oe nav (pn. 96560-2m100vm5 mod# AVN-150bkls4vm5) radio to upgrade a non nav 2011 coupe. 1st step, I removed the stock radio. It had 3 rectangular multipin connectors on the left (Black,brown grey), they plug into the nav unit ok. The nav has 2 round pin antenna connectors. Yellow is XM which I have. Blue is GPS which I do not have and will have to procure. Now the nav unit has a double square grey connector, which I believe on to be the AM FM antenna and possible the other may be a back cam??? The non nav only has a single. Well at this point I powered it up. The display lit up and the speakers produced white noise, which was a good sign of life and compatibility. It was not able to tune in any stations because the antenna plug is not connected, but with a small mod I can adapt this. I turned on the Nav and it seem to function properly with the exception no GPS location due to no antenna. Well at this point I had to reinstall the stock radio because my wife had to go to work. As far as finish trim, the stock radio and HVAC share a one piece trim, The Nav has its own upper finish trim. 2 options, procure the factory trim or I may cut the upper radio trim off, it looks like this can be done cleanly and look factory. If any has any spare parts or sugestions, please let me know. I hope this helps those looking to due the swap. One mor thing, there are 2 more connections right of center a rectangular white 24 pin and a smaller black 4 pin. may be for amp and backup cam????
Whoooa!!!. This thread is about Genesis sedan, not Coupe. Just want to make sure everyone understands.

Genny1007

Thanks for taking the plunge. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

consilius

Registered Member
As far as the 3.8 model goes. Based on my experience with Hyundais. It should be plug and play as the 3.8 models do not use DIS and they are used with a touchscreen interface.

Display screen part number: 96563-3M850

Head Module part number: 96560-3M350N8

Hope this helps.

AuToMoSeS

Update: Remember, I'm working on a coupe!! My swap has been installed, I over came the cost of a complete new shark fin dual antenna and cables and amplifier that would have been factory installed and nearly $500 in new parts. I searched out a dash GPS antenna and found one listed for a GM product on ebay for about $13 it has the correct blue connector and a small 1 1/2" square flat antenna that sits on the dash. the number on the box is GPS-X2. The unit is installed and GPS working great,but there is definitely a sound quality issue, low volume and tinny. Also I get a battery voltage low, use with engine running message, even though its running. I need a wiring schematic to work out the current issues. If anybody has the pin-out or the chassis wiring diagram please let me know.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.