Can smell outside smells too much in the cabin

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The G80 Sport is the 6th car I've owned. I've never had much of a problem with outside smells coming into the cabin of the car other than the once in a while skunk smell. With the G80 Sport, everyday I can smell outside smells like gas, brake smells, skunks/weed (weed is legal here), garbage trucks, factory smoke, etc. Not sure if anyone has this issue or maybe I need to check my cabin filter? I only have 10,000km on the car. My passengers who I occasionally carpool with have commented the same and when I carpool with them on the same route we don't have this issue, so I don't know what's going on.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'd change cabin filter first... then when you start smelling something you dont like tap the non circulating button on the dash to keep outside smells from coming in.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Checked the cabin filter and it's there. Not sure what the issue is, even when I spray my windshield with washer fluid, I can smell that in my car. Weird. I'll change the cabin filter next service.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I checked and the cabin filter is indeed there. It seemed to be installed correctly but I still took it and out and reinstalled it. It hasn't made a difference so I will try to change the filter and see if that helps. When I spray the windshield with washer fluid, it smells like it's making it inside the cabin which I never experienced with any other car. I'll definitely have my dealer check it out during the next service.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and help!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have noticed this on my 2018 G80 Sport. Burning smells (exhaust, paint burn off) when the vehicle was new were prevelant. I'd "kick my G80 in the arse" and soon afterward would notice the smell. The odor has decreased over time (@ 16K miles now) . I hypothesize this is caused by the fresh air intake being close to where fumes from the engine exit the vehicle.

Though unlikely, there is possibly an exhaust leak or loose/disconnected hose (i.e. EGR valve or vacuum hose). The 2018 G80 Sport with a twin turbochargers does run hotter in the engine compartment which may contribute to the smell.

Running the HVAC in recirculating mode is a stop gap measure to prevent this.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.