• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Can the power steering be adjusted?

Kon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I love everything about the Genesis except the steering, it's much heavier than every other car I've driven and makes driving needlessly difficult. I wouldn't mind heavy steering in a sports car where road feel and extremely precise control is important, but it makes no sense in a luxury sedan like this.

Is there any way to increase the power steering assistance so the wheel doesn't feel so heavy?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Kon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Heavy steering is usually the result of low tire pressure.

I don’t experience this in my 2018. In fact the steering in my g80 is a bit loose/light for my tastes. Better in sport mode but still not as tight as my RCF.
I double-checked the tire pressure yesterday. Dash was already saying 33 all around (increased a couple PSI after driving for a while) and I stopped at a gas station with a digital air pump just to be sure.

I've read that some vehicles like the Sonata have a service menu for adjusting power assist level, guess I'll give the dealer a call and see if the Genesis has anything similar.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Kon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Can't hurt to try I guess. I'd read through a few tire pressure threads on these forums and the consensus seemed to be that we should just trust Hyundai's recommendation.

While we're on the topic of tires, is there a specific set that's recommended for the 3.8 AWD Genesis if your goal is comfort rather than performance?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Can't hurt to try I guess. I'd read through a few tire pressure threads on these forums and the consensus seemed to be that we should just trust Hyundai's recommendation.

While we're on the topic of tires, is there a specific set that's recommended for the 3.8 AWD Genesis if your goal is comfort rather than performance?
Auto makers are always compromising on tire pressure. They want to give you that smooth ride and only a few people drive where performance is priority. I trust the experience of people here over a sticker on the car.

As for tires, do you want a summer, winter, year round tire? I was very happy with Nokian WRG3 on my last two cars. They have a true snow rating yet can be used all year.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I set my tire pressure at 34 psi front and 36 psi rear cold and the handling and steering works well for me. The tires heat up to about 36psi front and about 38psi rear while driving per the tire monitoring system.

To my knowledge the steering ratios and assist is set by the factory. You can only change the steering assist by selecting drive modes I believe.

Kon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
As for tires, do you want a summer, winter, year round tire? I was very happy with Nokian WRG3 on my last two cars. They have a true snow rating yet can be used all year.
I live in the Northeast but really just want comfort above all else -- I can drive my SUV to work on the rare snow day we get around here.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums