Can you start a Genesis Sedan with the key?

RedKnave

Hasn't posted much yet...
I was told by my sales person that the Genny can be started with the hard key in the key fob. If that's true, where do you insert the key?

Thanks

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
The fob can be inserted into the slot in the dash if the fob battery is dead. The key does not start the car, its for the trunk and doors when the fob battery is dead or if and electric lock is not working. Also its for locking the glove box. All is explained in the manual.

RedKnave

The key does not start the car
Do you know this for a fact or just assume it? This contradicts what I was told at the dealership.
... its for the trunk and doors when the fob battery is dead or if and electric lock is not working. Also its for locking the glove box.
Yes, I know all that having read the manual.

genedy

I was told at the dealership by the sales guy that the car uses lasers to detect other cars. Guess what? It doesn't. I uses radar. Just because the dealer says something, doesn't make it correct.

Crusty Old Shellback

Registered Member
SoCal
Simple solution, go back to the dealer and ask him to deomstrate it.

I don't have my car nor my manual with me to check it. I do remember my dealer saying something similar I beleive. It had to do with the little square cover in the tranney tunnel near the driver.

I'm not sure exactly how the dead fob in the slot works or how it would allow you to start the car if it was dead. As said, go back and ask the dealer to demonstrate.

Mine had no porblems with me asking questions or having him demonstrate things. He's asked me on several occasions if I need any help with the car and has reminded me that if I have any questions, just stop on by and they will help me. Definatly a positive attitude at the dealership and willing to help.

Mark63021

Registered Member
St. Louis
....little square cover in the tranney tunnel near the driver.
Every car with an automatic trans has some version of that "little square cover". It's there so that when removed, one can access the detent lever that prevents the shifter from being moved from park (in the event of no key or dead battery). That function is typically performed by a soleniod or in some cases is a mechanical lever array.

I had that solenoid fail on my Accord years ago, and I could not back the car out of the garage until I poped out the little square and pressed the button therein.

OneFunGenesis

<- Runnin' on Empty
Rochester, NY
Holy crap lets put this baby to bed.

There is NO physical key-in-ignition for the Genesis Sedan. The keyfob HAS to be present to start the vehicle. If the keyfob is DEAD put the fob in the slot in the dash and the car will start.

The keyfob has to communicate with the car in order to start. If the fob dies, it can't communicate with the car. The slot holds a device that recognizes the fob and allows the vehicle to start.

The physical key in the fob is for doors/trunk/glovebox only.

That is the long and short of it. I worked for Hyundai when these cars hit the market and was the resident Genesis expert before moving on in life.

OneFun

newman

Been here awhile...
Exactly. The only thing that I can add (and lets admit that the horse is already well and truly dead) is that you would do this if the key fob battery was dead. Not the car battery.

Cheers,
Newman

There is NO physical key-in-ignition for the Genesis Sedan. The keyfob HAS to be present to start the vehicle. If the keyfob is DEAD put the fob in the slot in the dash and the car will start.

The keyfob has to communicate with the car in order to start. If the fob dies, it can't communicate with the car. The slot holds a device that recognizes the fob and allows the vehicle to start.

That is the long and short of it. I worked for Hyundai when these cars hit the market and was the resident Genesis expert before moving on in life.

OneFun

RedKnave

Some folks will do anything to avoid reading a manual.
And some folks will do anything to avoid reading an entire thread.

As I specifically mentioned, I had been told that the car could be started with the key. I was asking the 'experts' here whether that was correct and if so, how to do it.

The car, smart key and smart key battery are all new.

The question arose because the key was not recognized as being in the vehicle the other day when, in fact, it was and I was nowhere near a dealer late on blisteringly hot Saturday afternoon and of course there us nothing in the manual (which, again, I have read) stating what to do when this occurs. Feel free to check that for yourself.

I expected some 'newbie' type comments but not ignorant comments.

OneFunGenesis

<- Runnin' on Empty
Rochester, NY
^^ If the key is too far away from the ignition the car wont start. It's not just if the key is inside the confines of the car, it's where is the key in relation to the ignition.

If the key was within range of the ignition and it still wasn't starting, then the key might be dead or not communicating properly.

RedKnave

^^ If the key is too far away from the ignition the car wont start. It's not just if the key is inside the confines of the car, it's where is the key in relation to the ignition.
It was, as I'm pretty sure yours would be if you had one, in my left front pants pocket. Let's give a conservative estimate and say 2 feet away. It was then pulled out, inserted into the dash slot, pulled out, buttons pressed, taken outside the car and brought back in the car and several other scenarios tried before it would start the car again. When the car was restarted the message changed to (paraphrasing) 'the key is not in the car' which also was not in the manual.

If the key was within range of the ignition and it still wasn't starting, then the key might be dead or not communicating properly.
It is/was not dead and is now/was after 15 minutes communicating properly.

My question was not about how to start the car or how to read the manual. It was about whether or not the key would start the car and, as far as I can see, no one really knows for certain, your being the 'resident expert' notwithstanding.

OneFunGenesis

<- Runnin' on Empty
Rochester, NY
^ What the fcuk are you asking?! We covered every scenario and told you every possible outcome!

Scenario 1) your key was dead. No? Move to scenario 2
Scenario 2) your key was not communicating with the cars ignition. Think it was? Proceed to scenario 3.
Scenario 3) your car is dead in the water. Call a tow truck.

What you are asking for does not exist. The car HAS NO PLACE TO PUT A PHYSICAL KEY TO START THE ENGINE...is that clear enough for you??

If the smart fob doesn't work, you're fcuked.

No fob-ie no work-ie.

How much more simple can I make this answer....

TJPark01

Been here awhile...
Hollywood, CA
The fob can be inserted into the slot in the dash if the fob battery is dead. The key does not start the car, its for the trunk and doors when the fob battery is dead or if and electric lock is not working. Also its for locking the glove box. All is explained in the manual.
This is correct. The physical key with teeth on it that slides out of the fob cannot start the car.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Do you know this for a fact or just assume it? This contradicts what I was told at the dealership.

Yes, I know all that having read the manual.
If you know all that and you did read the manual, then you know how use the pull out key. The manual describes its only uses. Perhaps your salesman can show you another place to put it, though.

RedKnave

If you know all that and you did read the manual, then you know how use the pull out key. The manual describes its only uses. Perhaps your salesman can show you another place to put it, though.
First, I'm pleased you took my suggestion and read through the entire thread.
Second, your informative replies have helped immensely in my understanding of how to read and understand the manual. Silly me assuming that the manual may not be complete in every regard since the error messages I received are not described therein.
Third, who would have known that I could come here and get some cracker humor. An unexpected treat to be sure.

G-226544

OneFun
Where is this slot.

gstang662002

Genesis Model Type
Lower left of the console right by where your right knee would be (unless you drive on the wrong side of the car:p). There is a small flapping door that the fob can be inserted into.

Ducatislave

Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Lower left of the console right by where your right knee would be (unless you drive on the wrong side of the car:p). There is a small flapping door that the fob can be inserted into.
FYI-That slot does not exist on the base model 3.8L

However; there is a hidden starter testing ignition for the hard key, under the hood, right next to the wiper blade sharpener, tucked in behind the fallopian tubes, cant believe no-one knows about this.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.