• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

can't lock G80

carlrchris

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
about a week ago we were at the beach and tried to lock our 2019 G80 sport. Pressing the key fob lock resulted in a beep and no lock(beep similar to a key fob still in vehicle). tried locking car with door handle lock, same result, no lock and a beep. tried the trunk close/lock button. same result no lock and beep. I then used my genesis phone app lock to lock the car. that finally locked the car. spent a couple of hours at beach and then tried to unlock car with key fob. car wouldn't unlock. door handle button wouldn't unlock car. had to use manual key fob key to open the car. was able to open and lock car with no issue about 4 times before I took to dealer next day. they just shrugged their shoulders and didn't know what to do

carlrchris

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Is it working normally now?
it's only done it that one time.. I didn't have enough space to comment on other things that go wrong. about 5% of the time the Qi phone charging system doesn't work and the same with the garage door opener button sometimes does not work.. the tech had no answer for any of the problems.

WPB

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I was thinking the lock/unlock problem might have been caused by some type of RF interference in that particular spot. But now it sounds like you have inside the car connection problems. I'd start checking connections, fuses in tight, look for corrosion on contacts, etc.

carlrchris

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
everything closed.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Pressing the key fob lock resulted in a beep and no lock(beep similar to a key fob still in vehicle). tried locking car with door handle lock, same result, no lock and a beep. tried the trunk close/lock button. same result no lock and beep.
Was this a single 1 second beep or a longer 3->5 second beep?
When you had the issue at the beach was the other key fob in the car (significant others purse left in car maybe)?

The longer beep occurs if you attempt to lock car using the outside door button and you've left the key fob in the car. I keep my car fob in my backpack. On occasion I've put backpack in front seat drove to my destination got out and attempted to lock car with door button. I get the 3-5 second beep indicating doors did not lock. (Hey dummy you left your key/fob in car).

The other possibility, unlikely though, is the key fob is out of sync with the car controller. This technology is similar to a garage opener rolling/hopping code. When requesting a lock/unlock a unique/different code is sent from key fob each time to car controller. The car controller will check the sent code to see if it's valid. Typically the car will allow a range of A->B codes (range is typically 255 codes). I hypothesize the car sent code C which was outside of the A->B range and thus rejected the request. Solution: Ask the dealer to resync all of your key fobs with car.

This may be a similar issue affecting your garage opener. Resync the car opener button with your garage opener.

If you really want to piss somebody off, push the button on their car fob or garage remote 255+ times when it is out of range from the car/garage opener. This will cause the fob/garage remote to get out of sync and not function. I'm evil sometimes.

G-100334

Was this a single 1 second beep or a longer 3->5 second beep?
When you had the issue at the beach was the other key fob in the car (significant others purse left in car maybe)?

The longer beep occurs if you attempt to lock car using the outside door button and you've left the key fob in the car. I keep my car fob in my backpack. On occasion I've put backpack in front seat drove to my destination got out and attempted to lock car with door button. I get the 3-5 second beep indicating doors did not lock. (Hey dummy you left your key/fob in car).

The other possibility, unlikely though, is the key fob is out of sync with the car controller. This technology is similar to a garage opener rolling/hopping code. When requesting a lock/unlock a unique/different code is sent from key fob each time to car controller. The car controller will check the sent code to see if it's valid. Typically the car will allow a range of A->B codes (range is typically 255 codes). I hypothesize the car sent code C which was outside of the A->B range and thus rejected the request. Solution: Ask the dealer to resync all of your key fobs with car.

This may be a similar issue affecting your garage opener. Resync the car opener button with your garage opener.

If you really want to piss somebody off, push the button on their car fob or garage remote 255+ times when it is out of range from the car/garage opener. This will cause the fob/garage remote to get out of sync and not function. I'm evil sometimes.
The other key fob was home. It was on the table when we got home. It was a longer beep.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums