• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Car and Driver June 2009: Camaro V8 vs. Genesis 3.8

mkaresh

Registered Member
I received the June Car and Driver the other day, and had time to only quickly skim through it. In the comparison test featured on the cover, the Camaro V6 beat the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track by a single point. Initial impression: the cars are closely matched, and they liked the Camaro a bit better.

Then I took a closer look today. The Genesis beat the Camaro in every single test, and they also found it more fun to drive.

So how did the Camaro manage to win? Because they gave it a huge edge in ride quality, and an even larger one in "gotta have it." They cycled through three Camaro test cars before finding the best one for the test. Why not, then, also evaluate the Genesis Coupe without the Track Package?

And the "gotta have it" factor? C&D worked hard to throw GM a bone on this one.

More details here:

C&D tilts Camaro vs. Genesis Coupe comparison test

dhanaway2

Hasn't posted much yet...
way to speak the truth man, chevy needs there camaro to win the war, and even though it was just a point, now every chevy dealer can say it won

mkaresh

Registered Member
MT preferred the Genesis Coupe because it's size and feel are more in keeping with the times.

need4speed

Getting familiar with the group...
Yeah it won in motor trend. The car and driver review was the biggest crock of shit going.
Motor trend known for not coming full circle with there reviews. This time I feel were accurate based on my experience based on my test drives. The camaro is a nice handling car for its size and weight but.
The genesis coupe is a very good handling car period. Interior cabin in camaro can't compare to the genny's overall quality fit and finish. Not only that but genny must be the only gt/sports car
With no blind spots. The blind spots in the camaro are an accident waiting to happen.
The camaro V6 fully loaded to the last option is 33k+. The genny is under 32k.
The camaro loses torque b4 genny. Is .03 to .05 seconds slower in various tests.
Has older technology and still won?? Talk about bias toward GM.
Just cuz GM are bad business people in desperate need of sales and its our domestic
Product is no reason to lie to the public. The pony cars are good cars for people who like muscle.
If u can't be fully honest about which car wins in the end? Just don't write the article.
Tech sports almost always wins against based on handling, feel and overall quality.
And in this case its no different.

Flying Fossil

Hasn't posted much yet...
Irvine, CA
I looked at the Camaro, and I wish Chevy well. They certainly need a few positive vehicles to turn the cart around.

To me it was a bulbous looking beached whale by comparison to the Genesis Couple and the truck is a total joke for a car with the body size it is. The shopping carts at Ralphs are bigger.

interrex

Registered Member
I had one on order, Took to long to come out. Went and bought a 2010 RT Challenger manual. Nice and big, roomy. The Camaro had that cheap plastic kid style buttons every where. The Challenger v-8 get up and go was slow. Took up a lot of room in the garage in the winter time. Heavy car not good on gas. Then come to find out the Genesis coupe 3.8 is not either.

yellow3.8track

Been here awhile...
I looked at Camaros, Mustangs and the Genesis Coupe.

Chevrolet seems to try to nickle and dime you to death on options compared to Hyundai so that turned me off to the Camaro.

The Mustang looked pretty good to me but didn't have the color I wanted so Ford dropped off the table.

The Coupe I bought had it all. Took the dealer a few days to find one but they got it and I bought it. I'm still happy with it. Very happy. Fun to drive (acceleration, braking, cornering, etc). The interior room is the best of any vehicle I have except for my Silverado pick up. I drove it up to Green Tops (sporting goods store north of Richmond) Monday and filled it up when I got back. 30.3 mpg. I was keeping up with traffic on I95 (75 to 80 mph for much of the drive). Around town (back and forth to work) I'm getting 22 to 24 mpg. I'm happy with the mileage. If I do the speed limit in my IROC Z28 I've gotten as much as 27 mpg but the Coupe will do that while running 10 to 15 mph faster.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I have two older Z28's in the garage with the Coupe and I've been a Chevy/GM guy since the 1970's.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums