Car struggling to turn on after pumping gas

MrSheep

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
So I had this problem for a while where my engine light is on and it shows a code the it’s a high purge flow I changed the canister and removed the code but it went back on in 2hrs I looked at post seeing if anyone has the same issue I’m not sure where to start it’s getting to the point where the car now shakes every now and then I’m not sure if it’s the fuel filter or gas pump or a fumes leak somewhere but anyone willing to point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!

air540g

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
red: canister control valve.
This part is very easy to fault. The fault code is P2422.

green: fuel tank pressure sensor.
Be careful of this part, if you want to change the canister control valve, this part is easy to break.

Untitled-1.jpg

yellow: purge valve
red: PCV valve
Untitled-1.jpg

MrSheep

Genesis Model Type
red: canister control valve.
This part is very easy to fault. The fault code is P2422.

green: fuel tank pressure sensor.
Be careful of this part, if you want to change the canister control valve, this part is easy to break.

View attachment 32648

yellow: purge valve
red: PCV valve
View attachment 32649
Where do you think I should start because I replaced the canister pure valve I think it’s the yellow one in your pic but the engine light still on and car still having trouble starting up when pumping gas. Btw I got a 2011 Hyundai Genesis sedan 4.6 v8 the code I’m getting is p0496 evaporative emission system high pure flow changed that part but still no good

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Where do you think I should start because I replaced the canister pure valve I think it’s the yellow one in your pic but the engine light still on and car still having trouble starting up when pumping gas. Btw I got a 2011 Hyundai Genesis sedan 4.6 v8 the code I’m getting is p0496 evaporative emission system high pure flow changed that part but still no good

after pumping gas, attempt to start the car with the gas cap off. if the car easily starts then you need to replace the canister itself as it likely has liquid fuel in it.

once the canister has liquid fuel, there is no longer any room for the gas vapors to expand, this causes vapor lock in the fuel system, resulting in failure to start or stalling after fully fueling the vehicle.

leaving the gas cap off for 5-10 miles will allow the vapors to escape via the filler neck. you can also opt to not fully fill, click off the pump about 1/2 to 1 gallon before it is fully filled, (before it auto stops) until you can replace the canister.

This behavior is typically attributed to "topping off" the tank, essentially shoving more fuel into the tank that it can handle. The fuel system on all vehicles since the late 1990s are sealed systems, the canister is there to capture the vapors so they are not released into the atmosphere. by topping off or over filling, you are causing liquid fuel to enter the vapor purging system, thereby preventing any room for the fuel to expand.

MrSheep

Genesis Model Type
after pumping gas, attempt to start the car with the gas cap off. if the car easily starts then you need to replace the canister itself as it likely has liquid fuel in it.

once the canister has liquid fuel, there is no longer any room for the gas vapors to expand, this causes vapor lock in the fuel system, resulting in failure to start or stalling after fully fueling the vehicle.

leaving the gas cap off for 5-10 miles will allow the vapors to escape via the filler neck. you can also opt to not fully fill, click off the pump about 1/2 to 1 gallon before it is fully filled, (before it auto stops) until you can replace the canister.

This behavior is typically attributed to "topping off" the tank, essentially shoving more fuel into the tank that it can handle. The fuel system on all vehicles since the late 1990s are sealed systems, the canister is there to capture the vapors so they are not released into the atmosphere. by topping off or over filling, you are causing liquid fuel to enter the vapor purging system, thereby preventing any room for the fuel to expand.
I’ll try this and let you know my results thanks! Also by canister what canister the vapor canister or the canister purge valve because I changed the canister purge valve located on top of the engine and it didn’t fix anything

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Attachments

• 615CCEBC-F981-46FF-9FDD-F19981FB442B.jpeg
    615CCEBC-F981-46FF-9FDD-F19981FB442B.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 8

air540g

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
If you want to change the canister, be careful with the fuel tank pressure sensor. or change this sensor and the hose together.
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums