Carplay and android auto now available!

Rsmithc

Hasn't posted much yet...
Montreal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hey!
Anyone with a Canadian bought Genesis, can now head over to https://hyundaisoftwareupgrade.ca/ to do a free software update. The update will include new maps, android auto and carplay support! Finally the wait is over.

1- Head over to https://hyundaisoftwareupgrade.ca/

2-Enter VIN

3- Download and wait ( 13 GBS, estimated 3 hour wait and download speeds range from 800kb - 1.2mb)

4- Install In car (20 mins)

5- Done!

madhermit

Registered Member
Finally - Hyundai did the right thing. I was getting fed up with their obvious BS about how it wouldn't work on the Canadian cars for some magical reason.

My download was just over 500kb. (approx = 1/20000th of the 10GB)

So I opened the DMG file, and it started downloading a 10GB file.

This is not in the instructions. I don't see how it would work in the car unless it has a 3G/Cellular modem that can download huge data files.

Anyone know if this is the case?

madhermit

Registered Member
So I did the update successfully. Tried a couple of things.

Previously I had tried to use cloning software to make a backup of the Hyundai SD card. I could not get it to work. Didn't try too hard, but there seems to be a verification of the original SD card via a unique number type thing.

As for the update...
I used a Mac laptop running OS Sierra 10.12.6.
First, I downloaded the software from Hyundai Canada. It is 569kb DMG disk image file, so no way it has any nav maps on it.
Once it was finished downloading, I double clicked the file. It then proceeded to download a 10gb zip.
It then asked to format the SD card in my computer. I had a spare 16gb card, so I used this.
It formatted the SD card, and then copied a bunch of data to it.
I then took the card to my car, put the card in, fired up the car, and went to the setup menu in the entertainment system and did the update system option.
The system went through 30 minutes of copying, restarting, and copying data over 6 steps.
Once the system rebooted the final time, it rejected my SD card. (Non original Hyundai card.) Carplay worked no problem.

I went back inside and repeated the SD card steps and when I put the card in the car, it worked without any issues.

So - short version. If you are worried about ruining your factory card, the update can be done with a generic card, but you will still need to update your original card anyway. So all you do is waste some time.

madhermit

Registered Member
By the way...

Thanks for posting this. I almost pulled the trigger last night and bought the update for $175 USD.

Hey!
Anyone with a Canadian bought Genesis, can now head over to https://hyundaisoftwareupgrade.ca/ to do a free software update. The update will include new maps, android auto and carplay support! Finally the wait is over.

1- Head over to https://hyundaisoftwareupgrade.ca/

2-Enter VIN

3- Download and wait ( 13 GBS, estimated 3 hour wait and download speeds range from 800kb - 1.2mb)

4- Install In car (20 mins)

5- Done!

milind

Atlanta
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So I did the update successfully. Tried a couple of things.

Previously I had tried to use cloning software to make a backup of the Hyundai SD card. I could not get it to work. Didn't try too hard, but there seems to be a verification of the original SD card via a unique number type thing.

As for the update...
I used a Mac laptop running OS Sierra 10.12.6.
First, I downloaded the software from Hyundai Canada. It is 569kb DMG disk image file, so no way it has any nav maps on it.
Once it was finished downloading, I double clicked the file. It then proceeded to download a 10gb zip.
It then asked to format the SD card in my computer. I had a spare 16gb card, so I used this.
It formatted the SD card, and then copied a bunch of data to it.
I then took the card to my car, put the card in, fired up the car, and went to the setup menu in the entertainment system and did the update system option.
The system went through 30 minutes of copying, restarting, and copying data over 6 steps.
Once the system rebooted the final time, it rejected my SD card. (Non original Hyundai card.) Carplay worked no problem.

I went back inside and repeated the SD card steps and when I put the card in the car, it worked without any issues.

So - short version. If you are worried about ruining your factory card, the update can be done with a generic card, but you will still need to update your original card anyway. So all you do is waste some time.
I don't have the car yet, but I thought I'd get a head start with the downloads since it takes an hour to download the 10GB file (something that would take less than 5 minutes on any other site, so I don't know what kind of servers they have). I too was scared that it would screw up my card so I cloned the SD card and installed it on another class 10 SD card.

I didn't get the last part where you said that after the last reboot, it rejected the card. And then you went in and tried it again. Was that on the original card? Because, you can get AA installed using the generic card, but you still need the original card to be updated? Why?

madhermit

Registered Member
After all the installation is finished, the system would boot up and not work as it was missing the required SD card. Even though all the data was on it, the system must do a check on the original serial # or something. It only worked with my original Hyundai SD card. I think is was primarily the GPS maps that couldn't be loaded.

Short version - you must use the original card for full functionality. We even tried cloning the card with unix commands. The card was a bit for bit copy. Still was rejected. There is probably a way around this for when cards go bad, but it is not obvious how. Perhaps there is an SD format utility in the car hidden menus that can do this?

milind

Atlanta
Genesis Model Type
After all the installation is finished, the system would boot up and not work as it was missing the required SD card. Even though all the data was on it, the system must do a check on the original serial # or something. It only worked with my original Hyundai SD card. I think is was primarily the GPS maps that couldn't be loaded.

Short version - you must use the original card for full functionality. We even tried cloning the card with unix commands. The card was a bit for bit copy. Still was rejected. There is probably a way around this for when cards go bad, but it is not obvious how. Perhaps there is an SD format utility in the car hidden menus that can do this?
Yeah, ran into the same issue. Initially, it wouldn't do the update using the original disk. So, I updated using the cloned SD card and then when I inserted the the original card, it worked. But the fact that the original disk has a "corrupted" update was the problem I was trying to avoid in the first place. Anyway, it works. I'll see if things get messed up in the next update.

Scooby

Wake Forest NC
Genesis Model Type
I just used the original card and did the download and ran through the install process. During the process it said it was formatting the card, however, it didn't erase what was on the card so you don't have to worry that you'll erase your maps or anything. Just trust the process and you'll be okay.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City
Finally - Hyundai did the right thing. I was getting fed up with their obvious BS about how it wouldn't work on the Canadian cars for some magical reason.

My download was just over 500kb. (approx = 1/20000th of the 10GB)

So I opened the DMG file, and it started downloading a 10GB file.

This is not in the instructions. I don't see how it would work in the car unless it has a 3G/Cellular modem that can download huge data files.

Anyone know if this is the case?
Only Canadian bought Genesis' have this update? In the US, it will not work?

PeterE

Genesis Model Type
Hello
Does this upgrade apply to the base model (Premium?) 2016 Genesis Sedan? It does not have the Android OS.
Thanks

willydance

Question? Not interested in android auto or carplay support , can this update be used as navigation update only?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.