Carplay Update & 1st Impressions

HedonismBot

Hasn't posted much yet...
As a frequent early adopter, I took the plunge and downloaded the upgrade for my 2015 5.0. I popped the existing SD card into my reader, hit up the MyHyundai site and began the download of the 9.7GB installation.

Of my 100Mb connection, I was capped at about 24Mb for the download. The tool prompted that depending upon the map version I was on, the download size would vary. Considering I bought the car with 800 miles on it, and never updated it, I'm pretty sure that the original map was on the card. Still, it was simple. Insert the card into the reader, run the tool and watch the progress bar.

Once that finished, it had to then format and offload the files to the card. That also took quite a while. I wanna say in total, the download and card setup was around 2 hours. I was playing Overwatch and only half-glancing at the installer window every now and then to make sure it hadn't crapped out.

The next morning, I started the car, put the card in and pressed setup. I have a 45-60 minute commute to work, and figured it'd be the perfect time to let it do its thing. The instructions said it can take anywhere from 20 minutes to beyond 40 minutes to complete the upgrade.

40 minutes later, the upgrade finished without issue. However, I did notice a few things. There is a typo or just poor grammar on one of the info screens during the upgrade. It says "Restart the system" and then says to not force the restart. I was a little confused at the competing instructions. As I was about to pull over into a parking lot, the radio system restarted. So, it should have said "Restarting the system" to allude to the fact it was all automatic. So, don't freak out if it sits on that screen for a minute or two before rebooting.

Also, there were a few times during the upgrade that the progress bar didn't move at all for several minutes. I was expecting it to error out when it'd suddenly start filling up the empty bar with progress being made. So, don't freak out about that either. A few of the steps like the "GPS" update took forever.

One the way home from work I got to actually try Carplay with my 5c since I forgot to bring a cable with me in the morning. Overall, Carplay is basically "meh". I really don't see much value in the system yet to warrant people losing their minds that the Ultimate version isn't getting the upgrade. I could do everything with the factory unit via voice command or via Eyes Free that I can do now.

In fact, CarPlay nearly forces you to touch the screen in some instances which kind of defeats the point of hands free. One thing that I liked about the factory default system was the map and music being on the same screen (split screen). Well, that's gone if you use CarPlay (unless use the default navigation map). If you want to use Apple Maps, you're going to see that full screen even if you're playing music off your phone. Also, your mini-screen between the tach and speedo, no more music info or turn by turn directions if you are using CarPlay. All you'll see on those screen options is an icon of a folder and "Apps" below it.

To me, that really stinks. The nice part about the factory navigation was being able to have the mini display of my instructions right in front of me. The other apps you can use from the screen on CarPlay? The phone, messaging and itunes. I personally use Amazon Music for 12GB of offline music on my phone. That app doesn't appear on my screen. I have to start it on the phone in order to get the song info to show up. And again, I can't see that song info when I'm using Apple Maps.

With EyesFree I could send: text messages, voice dial people, have Siri read me recent texts and be asked if I want to reply to them all over Bluetooth. Now, I have to take my phone out of my pocket and plug it in every time I want to use CarPlay. I'm not seeing the benefit here. Now, if I don't plug in, I can keep using EyesFree like I was and bypass CarPlay.

So far, the sole advantage I see for CarPlay is use of Apple Maps. For where I live, the traffic data is as good, if not marginally better, than Sirius' traffic data. Not having to pay for traffic info is nice. Apple Maps looks really good on the screen too. But, it renders my mini-display next to the speedo pretty pointless for turn-by-turn directions or music info. Now 99% of the time, my mini-display is on the speed anyway.

Another downside is that for CarPlay, you only get Apple Maps which must have a data connection to download the maps as you drive. It is not an offline map app (like the TomTom app). I've been in quite a few places where I don't get data connection on my phone rendering Maps pointless--which is why I have the TomTom app as well (and a hard atlas in the trunk). But, I can't see the TomTom app on the screen through CarPlay.

Overall, as it stands now for CarPlay, I don't see what the big deal is (and I am a tech geek). Nearly everything that is important can be done via Bluetooth to your phone. The benefit of free traffic info and free updated maps via Apple Maps even come at the cost of you needing an internet connection and losing the nice split-screen setup the original system gives you. I'm pretty sure that 95% of the time, I'll be connecting via Bluetooth using the default infotainment system along with EyesFree to send/receive text and stream my music that way rather than via CarPlay. Perhaps, as Carplay matures, better features will make it more useful.

Don't fret Ultimate owners, you're not missing out at least as far as CarPlay is concerned. Heck, I'm still considering continuing to update my factory maps every now and then I like the current factory system so much. Of all the cars I've owned, it's one of the nicer infotainment systems. CarPlay, at least, doesn't really improve upon that yet.

confusedman

Registered Member
Good summary, and I agree with pretty much all of your points. One thing most people aren't noticing (yet) is that this upgrade also upgraded the stock NAV maps to allow 3D view. Which is about 20x better IMHO than the basic overhead view. For this alone, the upgrade was worth it.

HedonismBot

Good summary, and I agree with pretty much all of your points. One thing most people aren't noticing (yet) is that this upgrade also upgraded the stock NAV maps to allow 3D view. Which is about 20x better IMHO than the basic overhead view. For this alone, the upgrade was worth it.
I hadn't even noticed that yet. That's good to know. All the more reason to stick with the regular system and just stream my Amazon Music via Bluetooth :) The upgrade is free and only requires minimal effort. I think everyone should do it--esp. for the point you mention.

So is the new map considered version 10 of the Mapnsoft software?

HedonismBot

So it doesn't work on vehicles with the Ultimate package?

Didn't see that caveat anywhere.
It's all over the forums that the upgraded infotainment system in the Ultimate version will not get the upgrade. Although, I've yet to see an official response as to why it's incompatible. :confused: Maybe is has something to do with the HUD causing issues.

jsmit86

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Elgin, IL
I hadn't even noticed that yet. That's good to know. All the more reason to stick with the regular system and just stream my Amazon Music via Bluetooth :) The upgrade is free and only requires minimal effort. I think everyone should do it--esp. for the point you mention.

So is the new map considered version 10 of the Mapnsoft software?
My NAV was upgraded to version 9.5.
The various users who posed the detail from their download links showed an April 2016 version, which is what I got, and a version from 2015, September I think?

I wonder if that would indicate different MAP versions.

Last edited:

k9kids

Getting familiar with the group...
Dallas, TX
If I go to myhyundai site and login, I don't even see download drop down tab.

Wonder why that is?

Brooklynk5

Registered Member
Anybody experience this with the update when it's split screen navi/radio and you use the steering wheel controls it's opposite and when it's radio full screen the steering controls work in the right direction... Catch my drift lol anyone realize that with the update ?

jsmit86

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Elgin, IL
Anybody experience this with the update when it's split screen navi/radio and you use the steering wheel controls it's opposite and when it's radio full screen the steering controls work in the right direction... Catch my drift lol anyone realize that with the update ?
My car was that way out of the box, and no change with the update.
So.. for example if the NAV display has radio displayed, pressing UP on the steering wheel control will change to the next station in the up direction on the display. If the NAV display has no radio information, pressing UP on the steering wheel control will change to the next higher station preset, which would be the next one DOWN on the NAV display.

The alternative would be to have the NAV display reversed with the lowest preset on the bottom.

My previous cars displayed the presets Left to Right, so that was not an issue.

It may have been a good idea to put a setting that allowed you to reverse the direction when displaying the radio info on the NAV display.

Brooklynk5

Registered Member
My car was that way out of the box, and no change with the update.
So.. for example if the NAV display has radio displayed, pressing UP on the steering wheel control will change to the next station in the up direction on the display. If the NAV display has no radio information, pressing UP on the steering wheel control will change to the next higher station preset, which would be the next one DOWN on the NAV display.

The alternative would be to have the NAV display reversed with the lowest preset on the bottom.

My previous cars displayed the presets Left to Right, so that was not an issue.

It may have been a good idea to put a setting that allowed you to reverse the direction when displaying the radio info on the NAV display.
Exactly. Yea gonna put the stations in order

dank

Registered Member
It's all over the forums that the upgraded infotainment system in the Ultimate version will not get the upgrade. Although, I've yet to see an official response as to why it's incompatible. :confused: Maybe is has something to do with the HUD causing issues.
I'm assuming it's just a numbers thing.

Ultimate Genesis shares an entertainment system with the Equus, other Genesis trims share a system with other, much more popular vehicles in Hyundai's fleet (right?).

Just not enough users to justify the expense of implementing this feature.

The geek in me really wishes for a more "open" platform in newer gadget filled cars like this. Imagine being able to install someones custom theme or feature patch to your car 8 years after it hit the market!

need4spd

Registered Member
To the OP, thank you for your write up.

So if you do not select carplay (supposedly you have to select it on the home screen per the hyundai youtube videos), the system works as it did before the upgrade (except maybe better maps)?

Or anytime you plug your iphone into the USB port the system changes to what you noted and the center screen and siri do not work as before?

I am trying to decide to upgrade or not, but like the system now, but would like carplay for when my son drives the car?

kavisic

Sustaining Member
San Angelo, West Texas
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
It's all over the forums that the upgraded infotainment system in the Ultimate version will not get the upgrade. Although, I've yet to see an official response as to why it's incompatible. :confused:
Maybe is has something to do with the HUD causing issues.
Seems unfair to get penalized later when paying more for the better option up front!! Upsets me and my 2015 3.8 Ultimate!

ksoze

Registered Member
Seems unfair to get penalized later when paying more for the better option up front!! Upsets me and my 2015 3.8 Ultimate!
You originally selected and got features with the Ultimate package that others did not. While disappointing the CP option will not be available with that option, if I had to have have picked either the Ultimate features (including HUD) or CP when buying originally, I would likely still pick the Ultimate option.

shredx44

My overall impression is "meh" as well. If I had my non-Nav Sonata, it would be amazing but that's not the case.

I agree with others that I'm most happy to have 3D maps for the factory Nav.

Seriously people with Ultimate Package...you're still winning with HUD, 9" display and power trunk. (And whatever else)

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
When I bought my wife's 2016 Sonata I choose the SE because I knew it came from factory with AA and that CP will be available in a short time per Hyundai promise an that was the main reason I didn't get any upper trim with NAV and we use it a lot but when bought my G2 Tech I never was expecting AA or CP, I bought it with his NAV unit (as my previous G1) now I have AA and CP on my Genesis too but I'm still using the NAV unit on it, both systems have their pross and cons but at the end I prefer the NAV.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
My overall impression is "meh" as well. If I had my non-Nav Sonata, it would be amazing but that's not the case.

I agree with others that I'm most happy to have 3D maps for the factory Nav.

Seriously people with Ultimate Package...you're still winning with HUD, 9" display and power trunk. (And whatever else)
Given that the free AA/CarPlay upgrade (that is not available to Ultimate owners due to "hardware incompatibilities") also appears to add a free map upgrade with 3D maps, then HMA should at least provide the v10 map upgrade to Ultimate owners for free as well.

There is no hardware incompatibility excuse to not give us that as the v10 maps for Ultimate show 3D maps (and supposedly improved VR). They will be getting a call from me on that tomorrow. Why should Ultmate owners have to pay over $200 to get what other Genesis owners are getting for free?

This further indicates to me that Hyundai is still not fully ready to seriously play in the luxury space - they don't seem to get a proactive approach to the little details that make a good customer experience and build loyalty.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.