Ceramic Tint suggestions

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Should have gotten the tint when I ordered the car but somehow missed checking off the option and then totally forgetting about it.
Have my tint appointment booked for Friday but haven't decided on percentage yet.
Since I have the Caramel Brown interior, would 20% look less dark than if I had black leather?
My headliner is black which is the combo with the brown leather!
For reference, my TL was dark but I don't know the % since I came tinted from the dealer. The front was not as dark as the back. I would like a similar tint % if someone can guess what it is!
Any other suggestions and recommendations are welcome!

B52D150E-C7E6-4496-B43D-CE6B5D74917F.jpeg

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I understand tinting in the deep south...but what’s the point up north. It’s like every Canadian is doing it.

It already comes with a minor tint from the factory.

You do a lot of shaggin’ in that thing?

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I understand tinting in the deep south...but what’s the point up north. It’s like every Canadian is doing it.

There's zero tint on it as far as I can tell. Except the 4% light transmittance that you lose on each surface that doesn't have optical coating!
Feels like a fish bowl.
Anyway we get crazy hot summers here. 34-38 Celsius most days and I park outside!

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

I live in the south, but even if I didn't, I would still get my windows tinted as dark as legally allowed. Cars with tint just look better, in my opinion. That could possibly be a reason.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Any idea if 20% on a lighter interior would look similar to 35% on a black interior?

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The one I just got on my car is 30%. With a good film it's not that bad looking out looking in it's pretty similar to the back of your TL above though without direct sunlight it's hard to see the back seat, so a bit darker. Check my thread for a couple pics. Just be aware of my note on the FM signal drop, make sure it's a good film. Mine was supposed to be, but could be seeing issues with it. Watching for the issue to crop back up.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The one I just got on my car is 30%. With a good film it's not that bad looking out looking in it's pretty similar to the back of your TL above though without direct sunlight it's hard to see the back seat, so a bit darker. Check my thread for a couple pics. Just be aware of my note on the FM signal drop, make sure it's a good film. Mine was supposed to be, but could be seeing issues with it. Watching for the issue to crop back up.
My choices are the SunTek Ceramic CIR or 3M Ceramic.
The SunTek 30 Black has 34% transmittance and the 20 Black has 24%.
Not sure about the 3M yet.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Ceramic tint as dark as allowed for your area legally. May a few percentages lighter so it looks more "factory".

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Any idea if 20% on a lighter interior would look similar to 35% on a black interior?
Interior color absolutely changes the equation. I have an ivory interior on my Genesis and am able to use 20% tint and not have it look like limo tint. They pano sunroom also make it less dark looking when it’s open.

If at all possible, use the same % all around. Not only looks much better, it is also somewhat more low key for darker-than-legal tinting as there is no easy compare/contrast of front/back.

The ceramics tints have a underlying color cast; usually green, blue or brown. In your case, the 3M may be the cat’s pajamas with the carmel interior as it has a brown cast.

Do be aware, the degree of visible brown cast varies considerably with the 3M product as you step down to darker tint. The jump from the 35% to 20% is enough different in color cast that it may not be something that you like. All that said, the 3M is one of the very top films for heat rejection. The film is challenging for back windows and some installers will balk at doing it.

I have Llumar CTX 20% all around with Llumar Air Blue 80% on the windshield. If you can get it done - highly recommend doing the windshield. The AB 80 is not visible but cuts down on glare and heat coming in the front big time.

Here’s my Genesis just after it was tinted.

EECD3DC3-60A8-410B-BCD2-AFC7A9D21FCB.jpeg

Last edited:

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Are ceramic tints worth it? I know there are some cheaper options from 3M that are between basic bitch tints and ceramic and aren't metallic. Is a higher quality tint just better for letting light in?

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Are ceramic tints worth it? I know there are some cheaper options from 3M that are between basic bitch tints and ceramic and aren't metallic. Is a higher quality tint just better for letting light in?
Easy answer is: YES. Old tech was dyed vinyl film. That is the type of film that will turn purple over time and doesn't block heat - just adds privacy. Metalized film was the next advancement which added significant heat blocking to tint. It's still around but it is problematic with cellphone and navigation signal reception. Ceramic technology was the next advancement. Huper Optik patented their film with what is one of the few true ceramic films; with competitors later offering 'nano' technology which mirrors the performance of ceramic.

The better ceramic films do such a great job of blocking heat, even at the lightest end of the spectrum, that you can get more functional benefit from a quality ceramic 80% film than a dyed 15% old school limo tint. The AB 80 I have on my windshield was developed for markets where visible tint is an issue, which is precisely why you find it being used a lot for windshield applications, which is illegal in most places without a medical waiver. The best films don't have to be ceramic at all, as is the case with 3M Crystalline film, which I mistakenly thought your were looking at when you clearly said 3M ceramic. They are two different products and I would highly recommend the Crystalline over their ceramic, if the brown hue (and price) is to your liking.

Film tinting material does vary in quality and is often not directly related to price. Some of this is a function of shops using good/better/best pricing strategies, wherein the most expensive product may only be marginally better than their mid-range offering. There are also brand barriers for shops. They can't carry everything as a practical matter, but there are also limitations based on film manufacturer contracts. The installer may also favor a film based on ease of installation. A crappy easily scratched film may be sold because its thin and easy to install and they are experienced enough to manage to get it on without scratching it in the process. They may avoid - even bad mouth a superior film - because it is thick, more scratch resistant, but is a comparative PITA to shape and install.

Probably the most overlooked thing is choosing the shop itself. In the quest for finding the best 'deal' people often treat tinting as a commodity product that can yield the same finished result with any Joe Schmo doing the work. I like Llumar films a lot. The film is made by Eastman (once a part of Eastman Kodak) and they also make FormulaOne products and have always been a top tier film and comes a lifetime guaranty. Lots of places sell this film but the better shops will be SelectPro certified. Same thing with 3M, they have Crystalline Certified dealers. These certifications do mean a higher level of skill must be demonstrated to earn it. Do your research and check reviews of any potential shops. If you want to go down the research rabbit hole, check out the tintdude.com forums. This is where the tint pros hang out and there is a lot of good info to be had there.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm not sure which 3M it is. He said nano ceramic. If I can get the Crystalline for the same price or a little more, I may consider it.
Cops aren't dicks here and I only use my car to commute to work and only occasionally for anything else.
I didn't think the brown hue would bother me. I just want something similar to what I had. I doubt it was ceramic back in 2012 when that was installed.
I'll have to see the samples tomorrow when I get there. I suspect that 35% may be too light because of my interior. I just hope that 20% isn't too dark!

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I'm not sure which 3M it is. He said nano ceramic. If I can get the Crystalline for the same price or a little more, I may consider it.
Cops aren't dicks here and I only use my car to commute to work and only occasionally for anything else.
I didn't think the brown hue would bother me. I just want something similar to what I had. I doubt it was ceramic back in 2012 when that was installed.
I'll have to see the samples tomorrow when I get there. I suspect that 35% may be too light because of my interior. I just hope that 20% isn't too dark!
IIRC, the Crystalline goes from 40% to 20% with no 35% film offered.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Does anyone have photos of their car with the factory tint? I'd like to see how that looks.
There is no factory tint. Unless the US cars come with it. The Canadian ones doesn't!

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
The cops might not bother you, but if you're not legal your inspection might not fly. Ceramic is also a must if you use a radar detector - metalic based tint cuts down on sensitivity

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The cops might not bother you, but if you're not legal your inspection might not fly. Ceramic is also a must if you use a radar detector - metalic based tint cuts down on sensitivity
What inspection are you referring to?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.