Changing Genesis Battery - No Small Task

Thread starter #1

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
The original battery in my 2012 R-spec decided to take a crap last weekend. It didn't quit outright but failed to hold a charge over several days. Good thing too, because as it turns out these AGM H8's are not exactly plentiful (around here anyway).

I had never looked in the spare tire/battery area of my car since buying it so I was somewhat surprised that the battery had many connections instead of the usual two posts and two cables. The negative terminal isn't complex - one cable to one post - however the positive side has a unique hold-down thingy and attached to it are 3 or 4 (can't remember now) wires. Hyundai was thinking when they put this together and made each one a different size. This is both bad and good. Good because it prevents errors hooking it up but bad because you are not likely to have the 3 or 4 metric sockets available if the battery needs replacement by the side of the road.

Which brings me to the intent of this post: Take a minute and look at the way the battery is installed and, optionally, store sockets of the correct size nearby if you are trying to get the most mileage out of the battery. Also, realize these babies cost anywhere from about $170 to well over $200 and they are not stocked everywhere. The price of a luxo-ride I guess.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I paid $151.39 at my dealer's parts department. Gave my Genesis a 4th birthday present three months ago and changed it before it gave me any headaches.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I paid $151.39 at my dealer's parts department. Gave my Genesis a 4th birthday present three months ago and changed it before it gave me any headaches.
I did the same thing. I had a new battery installed on my schedule rather than having it fail at a bad time. But I did wait 5 years.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
I had never looked in the spare tire/battery area of my car since buying it so I was somewhat surprised that the battery had many connections instead of the usual two posts and two cables. The negative terminal isn't complex - one cable to one post - however the positive side has a unique hold-down thingy and attached to it are 3 or 4 (can't remember now) wires.
On my 2015, it looks like the thingy is a metal plate or platform which supports multiple cables. Also, I would have thought weight would be the big problem - a real hernia situation.

Lastly, the dealer quoted $400 for a new battery - but that's a dealer for you.

Cut-Throat

Registered Member
Minneapolis
The original battery in my 2012 R-spec decided to take a crap last weekend. It didn't quit outright but failed to hold a charge over several days. Good thing too, because as it turns out these AGM H8's are not exactly plentiful (around here anyway).

I had never looked in the spare tire/battery area of my car since buying it so I was somewhat surprised that the battery had many connections instead of the usual two posts and two cables. The negative terminal isn't complex - one cable to one post - however the positive side has a unique hold-down thingy and attached to it are 3 or 4 (can't remember now) wires. Hyundai was thinking when they put this together and made each one a different size. This is both bad and good. Good because it prevents errors hooking it up but bad because you are not likely to have the 3 or 4 metric sockets available if the battery needs replacement by the side of the road.

Which brings me to the intent of this post: Take a minute and look at the way the battery is installed and, optionally, store sockets of the correct size nearby if you are trying to get the most mileage out of the battery. Also, realize these babies cost anywhere from about $170 to well over $200 and they are not stocked everywhere. The price of a luxo-ride I guess.
Here is the best tip I can offer for Car Ownership in General. I always replace my Car Battery every 4 years, instead of waiting until it fails. I pick a nice Sunny day with temps in the 50-60s. I get to spend some time finding a great battery at a great price. I am in no hurry to replace the battery, hence I do a better job.

I have not been stranded in over 40 years since doing this, and I have never had to deal with a dead battery when I needed to 'go somewhere'. This small bit of preventive maintenance costs very little extra and probably will save you money by shopping for a battery at a discount.

Legacy

Registered Member
Charlotte
This is a very timely post, as I had not given thought to replacing the battery in my 2010 model until recently. We had a cold (for Charlotte) morning not long ago and it seemed the engine didn't turn over as quickly as usual that day. Six years on a battery is pushing things so, I chose yesterday to make the swap, using an AGM type battery for the replacement.

I am aware of what happens to radio presets, memories, etc. when disconnecting power on a modern day automobile. I made sure to attach a 12V source to the cables, prior to removing the battery. As luck would have it, during the install of the new battery, I bumped the positive cable and my power source jumper popped off. After a few choice verbal expressions of disgust, I finished the install, knowing I'd be spending time resetting things later. To my amazement, nothing was wiped out!!! All presets still existed, nothing had changed. How could this have happened? I'm not aware of any capacitive devices in the system, that would hold power. I was disconnected for only about 5-7 seconds, but similar past experiences always resulted in disappointment. Anyone else have this sort of result when momentarily disconnecting power? BTW, these batteries are plenty heavy and leaning into a trunk while positioning it does nothing positive for your back. And the two molded handles on the battery are designed for Korean fingers, as there's not much clearance under them for big hands. This design feature was laughingly noted by my Chinese wife, who remarked "big American fingers" get in the way. Yeah, haha. I should have made her lift the battery. Other than routine servicing and new tires, no problems for 70k+ miles. I'm happy.

Cut-Throat

Registered Member
Minneapolis
I am aware of what happens to radio presets, memories, etc. when disconnecting power on a modern day automobile. I made sure to attach a 12V source to the cables, prior to removing the battery. As luck would have it, during the install of the new battery, I bumped the positive cable and my power source jumper popped off. After a few choice verbal expressions of disgust, I finished the install, knowing I'd be spending time resetting things later. To my amazement, nothing was wiped out!!! All presets still existed, nothing had changed. How could this have happened? I'm not aware of any capacitive devices in the system, that would hold power. I was disconnected for only about 5-7 seconds, but similar past experiences always resulted in disappointment. Anyone else have this sort of result when momentarily disconnecting power?
I just disconnected mine and had it removed for about 1 hour. All of my presets were fine when I reconnected the new battery. Surprised me as well. I was planning on re doing everything the rest of the day. I surmised that there must be a Battery Backup like a Computer Motherboard has...

Thread starter #10

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
I am aware of what happens to radio presets, memories, etc. when disconnecting power on a modern day automobile. I made sure to attach a 12V source to the cables, prior to removing the battery.
Two times my battery has gone nada, zappo, dead (because wifey didn't close the trunk completely) But, also to my surprise, nothing happened. Radio pre-sets, maps, Bluetooth ....everything was just as it was before. That's two times the battery has been totally disconnected for hours at a time and.....nothing happened.

Bless those Hyundai engineers!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I just disconnected mine and had it removed for about 1 hour. All of my presets were fine when I reconnected the new battery. Surprised me as well. I was planning on re doing everything the rest of the day. I surmised that there must be a Battery Backup like a Computer Motherboard has...
You are lucky. Those of us who have a 2009 will have emissions testing problems, especially if the car is tested in California.

Thread starter #12

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
You are lucky. Those of us who have a 2009 will have emissions testing problems, especially if the car is tested in California.
I am pretty both the Feds and CA specifically have a period of time that the emissions systems must function as approved or the manufacturer must resolve the issue. Disconnecting a battery with results that throw the emissions system off course has got to be a major malfunction in design or build and should have been addressed long, long ago.

However (he says with a smirk as a former resident of Kalifornia) I am sure glad I still don't live there.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I am pretty both the Feds and CA specifically have a period of time that the emissions systems must function as approved or the manufacturer must resolve the issue. Disconnecting a battery with results that throw the emissions system off course has got to be a major malfunction in design or build and should have been addressed long, long ago.

However (he says with a smirk as a former resident of Kalifornia) I am sure glad I still don't live there.
There are quite a few posts in this forum about 2009 Genesis owners being screwed in California. Hyundai is not helping them when their batteries are replaced, and a instrument warning light comes on, and stays on, and the emissions testers will not approve the car. It doesn't actually change the emissions, but the display of a warning light on the instrument cluster is enough to invalidate the emissions test.

Dawg

Registered Member
Atlanta Burbs
So what's the verdict here? AGM vs regular? Also, can someone like Napa or Advanced Auto Parts change these out or do I need to do it or have dealer? It is cold here this week and noticing car is turning over slowly. Original battery if you can believe it

Cut-Throat

Registered Member
Minneapolis
So what's the verdict here? AGM vs regular? Also, can someone like Napa or Advanced Auto Parts change these out or do I need to do it or have dealer? It is cold here this week and noticing car is turning over slowly. Original battery if you can believe it
I have a 2011 V8 and I bought a AGM Sears Diehard..... Changed it out myself.... No big deal at all.

I always change my Battery every 4 years on a schedule. I don't wait until I have problems. I've been doing this for over 30 years... A great Practice, as I have never been stranded. I get the battery I want, at a good price, and pick a nice sunny day in the fall, when I have nothing else going on.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I posted this info in another thread, but here goes again. I replaced my battery on a 2009 Genesis sedan recently. I bought it at Advance Auto Parts and they have free installation. However, after the manager looked at my battery, and a call into their internal support line, he said he could not replace it due to the complexity of the electronics attached to the battery. Apparatnly it looked like a BMW hookup, and they have had big problems with BMW's that would not start after a battery change. So I took the battery home and did it myself without any problems.

The only potential problem is that if one has a 2009, and lives in California, then you may have problems with your next emmsissions inspections. This has been discussed in detail in other threads. I believe it was fixed by 2010 model year, and does not affect any other state that I know of.

To change the battery, look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbaqSoGMR7A

However, make the following changes:

1. The text says to disconnect the negative first, and then positive (reconnect positive first when done). That is correct, however the guy in the video did it in the wrong order.
  2. I did not slide the old battery out to the left (requires removal of tire). Instead, I removed the front hold-down flange, and replaced it when the new battery was in place.
  3. Regardless of which battery type you use (Flooded Cell or AGM), there is a vent hose that needs to be connected on the positive end of the battery (because that is where the tube is located on a Genesis). There are two vent holes in the battery, one on each side for cars that have the vent tube on the other side. The hole that does not take the vent tube needs to be plugged up using the plug that is molded into the plastic cover for the positive terminal (usually red plastic).

I decided to get the Advance Auto Parts Gold flooded cell instead of AGM because it actually has a longer warranty than the AGM. There is a lot of controversy as to which is best, and I think they each have advantages in certain situations. But if I had the Tech Package, I would go with AGM. My 2009 OEM, non-Tech Package was not an AGM. If you buy a flooded cell, make sure it is the top of the line Gold version. I am pretty sure that the H8 battery sold by Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, and Walmart are all made by Johnson Controls, who also makes Interstate Batteries. The only difference is the color and shape of the top plastic pieces to make them look proprietary.

Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone frequently have 20% off offers, so shop around, especially on their website. Often one can get a bigger discount by buying online with in-store pickup. Walmart batteries are already priced pretty low, but it is hard to find a H8 AGM version at Walmart.

Last edited:

Dawg

Registered Member
Atlanta Burbs
Don't laugh but I paid $237 for Napa Legend AFM battery just wanted the peace of mind. I could bought one for $145 regular battery but there is probably a reason for that since it was a 2 year warranty. The NAPA AFM battery has a 96 month warranty!!! Not to mention all the electronics on this vehicle I wanted peace. I paid the mechanic next door $20 to install it because it is just too cold right now for me to be outside changing battery out. Tires next month and I should be good for 2 years with all the other stuff done to this vehicle lol. Anyone have experience with NAPA batteries? They copy someone like Sears?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Don't laugh but I paid $237 for Napa Legend AFM battery just wanted the peace of mind. I could bought one for $145 regular battery but there is probably a reason for that since it was a 2 year warranty. The NAPA AFM battery has a 96 month warranty!!! Not to mention all the electronics on this vehicle I wanted peace. I paid the mechanic next door $20 to install it because it is just too cold right now for me to be outside changing battery out. Tires next month and I should be good for 2 years with all the other stuff done to this vehicle lol. Anyone have experience with NAPA batteries? They copy someone like Sears?
I will try hard not to laugh.

I assume you know that NAPA does not make batteries. Neither does Sears Diehard. Johnson Controls is by far the largest battery manufacturer in North America and they are suppliers to many brand names.

I assume you meant the AGM, not AFM? Looking at the NAPA website, I see a "NAPA THE LEGEND - Premium AGM" for $204.99. Not sure if that is the same one you got, because I don't see a 96 month (8 year) warranty on their website, and obviously there is a price difference (maybe their online price is less?). Do you have any documentation that says you have an 8 year warranty? Maybe that includes an extended pro-rated warranty that increased the price?

The Advance Auto Parts AutoCraft Platinum AGM H8 Battery is $186.99, plus it looks like there is currently a 25% off sale right now (15% off $50, or 20% off $100, or 25% off $150, online or in-store; maximum savings discount $100. Applies to most items in the store). Installation at Advance Auto Parts is free, except they refused to do mine because they thought it was like a BMW and that it would need special equipment to maintain the charge to the car while replacing the battery (not necessary for the Genesis, especially in Georgia).

Since you will be buying new tires soon, I would recommend Costco. Even with the $55 yearly Costco membership fee each year, it is a good deal since you get free rotations every 7500 miles. They have outstanding customer service. Right now (until 4/17/2017) they are offering $70 off a set of 4 Bridgestone tires. After that, they will offer $70 off on Michelins (they rotate the $70 discount back and forth between Bridgestone and Michelin). You get free nitrogen, and free fast nitrogen refills (without waiting in line) when needed.

Discount Tire is next best, but they don't offer free nitrogen (not sure if they even have it).

BTW, what model year, exterior color, and interior color do you have on your 4.6?

- - - Updated - - -

Upon further investigation on the NAPA website, it looks like the NAPA THE LEGEND - Premium AGM may be manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing. I previously said it looked like a Johnson Controls. This is based on when I was on the NAPA website and clicked on the SAFETY DATA SHEET for the NAPA AGM battery, and was then directed to the East Penn website.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I figured out how you paid $237. That must include the $18 core charge, which is refundable when you return the old battery. It also includes sales tax. So you did pay the same price as online price listed above.

Last edited:
Thread starter #19

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
Discount Tire is next best, but they don't offer free nitrogen (not sure if they even have it).
I just happened on this post this evening and thought I would give an opinion since I have four cars, two of which came with factory nitrogen.

Somebody in tire marketing found out that NASCAR uses nitrogen in their race tires because it is less susceptible to heat expansion. NASCAR cars are very sensitive to very small differences in pressure unlike your street tires so it pays for them to be cautious.

To worry about putting nitrogen in your street tires borders on nonsense. Ordinary air is already 85% nitrogen so by filling a tire with nitrogen (assuming it is already completely empty) is virtually impossible. While it is true that nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen and thus do not "bleed" through small cracks or the tire material itself as rapidly as oxygen you would have more fluctuation in tire pressure with seasonal temperature changes.

Another reason for using nitrogen is that it is an inert gas and as such will not combine with moisture to cause oxidation (rust) inside steel rims. This is of little concern on modern cars which use alloy rims.

Nitrogen is not much more than a marketing gimmick allowing dealers and garages to charge a hefty premium for nothing.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I just happened on this post this evening and thought I would give an opinion since I have four cars, two of which came with factory nitrogen.

Somebody in tire marketing found out that NASCAR uses nitrogen in their race tires because it is less susceptible to heat expansion. NASCAR cars are very sensitive to very small differences in pressure unlike your street tires so it pays for them to be cautious.

To worry about putting nitrogen in your street tires borders on nonsense. Ordinary air is already 85% nitrogen so by filling a tire with nitrogen (assuming it is already completely empty) is virtually impossible. While it is true that nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen and thus do not "bleed" through small cracks or the tire material itself as rapidly as oxygen you would have more fluctuation in tire pressure with seasonal temperature changes.

Another reason for using nitrogen is that it is an inert gas and as such will not combine with moisture to cause oxidation (rust) inside steel rims. This is of little concern on modern cars which use alloy rims.

Nitrogen is not much more than a marketing gimmick allowing dealers and garages to charge a hefty premium for nothing.
According to Wikipedia, dry air on earth is a about 78% nitrogen, but that is beside the point.

I never had any preference for nitrogen one way or the other until I happened to purchase a set of Michelin tires for my Genesis at Costco. I had no idea that they used nitrogen, but I was a Costco member and they had a $70 off on a set of 4 Michelin tires (to replace the crappy OEM Dunlops), and the out-the-door price was very good compared to others I checked, so I got them at Costco. When I got the tires, I did notice that they said they came with nitrogen, and were refilled with nitrogen when free 7500 mile rotations were done, and they would top off the nitrogen any time you needed it. It was not a marketing gimmick by Costco, and they don't charge extra for nitrogen (I am not even sure you can get tires filled with regular air there).

After having used tires with Nitrogen for almost 5 years, I definitely noticed that they don't lose tire pressure nearly as quickly as air does. I don't think this is necessarily critical, but it is a nice feature, even though I have my own air compressor in my garage. I wouldn't worry about not having nitrogen, but if it is free, I will take it.

One thing that wears tires faster than they should is uneven wear caused by lack of rotation and/or low tire pressure. So I have found my tires lasting much longer than all previous Michelin tires I have owned because they wear so evenly now. I credit that partly to having nitrogen, because once you drive with underinflated tires for very long, it is hard to correct the uneven wear that occurs.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.