Check AEB System Message

GCyr42

Registered Member
I keep getting "Check AEB System" (Autonomous Emergency Braking) messages on my 2015 Genesis V6 Ultimate while driving in the rain. Anyone else getting this message on a regular basis?

The sensor or cover shouldn't be dirty or obscured enough to cause this if I'm driving on interstate pavement in the rain. This happened multiple times on a recent trip. I'm familiar with a similar message with Adaptive Cruise Control in my previous vehicle when driving in a snow storm but never in the rain.

I'll be bringing this to the service department's attention but wondering if this message is "normal" for the AEB and rain.

Nick R

Registered Member
I keep getting "Check AEB System" (Autonomous Emergency Braking) messages on my 2015 Genesis V6 Ultimate while driving in the rain. Anyone else getting this message on a regular basis?

The sensor or cover shouldn't be dirty or obscured enough to cause this if I'm driving on interstate pavement in the rain. This happened multiple times on a recent trip. I'm familiar with a similar message with Adaptive Cruise Control in my previous vehicle when driving in a snow storm but never in the rain.

I'll be bringing this to the service department's attention but wondering if this message is "normal" for the AEB and rain.

I have had the same issue in heavy rains....posted a similar question last week and got a couple of replies.....the issue didnt come up on a diagnostic check at the dealer......they also say they have not heard of the issue.....a bit unimpressive.

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The message is normal as stated in the manual. Mine comes on in a driving rain storm and as soon as the rain lets up, the message goes away. The system gets a blurred signal due to the rain and cannot work properly, hence the message. No concerns, they just want you aware that it is temporarily disabled.

jaygelico13

Hasn't posted much yet...
I too get this message all the time in heavy rain. Huge design flaw in the Genesis where any heavy rain or moderate snow completely shuts down the AEB and SCC systems. It's that stupid plastic piece in the grill.

sidewinder1

Getting familiar with the group...
Tampa, FL
Genesis Model Type
i get it also in heavy rains. per the shop manual it uses both radar and camera on the windshield so if one of those sensors are compromised i would expect it to not function as designed and throw a warning.

AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) is a feature designed to aid in collision avoidance, or to reduce damage in the event of an accident..
The sequence of system control is as follows.
1. Sensing the vehicle driving ahead and data analysis with the radar sensor of smart cruise control system (SCC) and camera sensor on the
Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) (CAN Communication)

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I too get this message all the time in heavy rain. Huge design flaw in the Genesis where any heavy rain or moderate snow completely shuts down the AEB and SCC systems. It's that stupid plastic piece in the grill.

I've had it maybe three times in over 43,000 miles on 2 cars. Does not bother me as you should not be using SCC in those conditions and be driving slower, leaving plenty of space, anyway. As soon as the rain slows it is back on.

Since you consider it a design flaw, do you have a better design?

PAS123

I get the same message in heavy rain only. Reported it to the dealers and they were unable to replicate the issue so did not attempt repair.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I get the same message in heavy rain only. Reported it to the dealers and they were unable to replicate the issue so did not attempt repair.

Nothing needs repair. Heavy rain blocks the signal so the AEB will not see a car ahead. Ask anyone with satellite TV and they will have the same issue once in a great while. It is a matter of physics, not technology breakdown. If you wear eyeglasses you will have the same problem in heavy rain at 50 mph.

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
I'm sure they put those messages in with lawyers in mind, could it work sure, but they don't want you to blame Hyundai when you crash cause your over confident in the system.

Scamp

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Got this message tonight. First time in my 5k miles of ownership (car has 46k)

Wasn’t raining at all. Only real difference in my driving was I used the cruise control for a long time. Doubt it’s linked. Either way, it lasted for maybe a minute before disappearing, which I took to mean functionality had been restored.

Odd

Reed1951

Been getting the same warning "AEB Warning" for the past couple of days and the weather has been dry. Comes on, stays lit for a few minutes then goes off. ABS and Hold indicators also come on at the same time, but also clear at the same time as the AEB. Thought about taking it in but will clean everything first instead of paying for a diagnostic that will most likely result in nothing.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Mine is in the shop for this right now. Haven't gotten the car back yet, but was told a part was being replaced under warranty, either the radar sensor, or the module that runs that part of the SCC system. The AEB and SCC both use the radar in the grille. If you try to use SCC (cruise control), it will give an SCC radar error. If you are already in SCC when the error comes, it will knock the cat out of cruise.

Before bringing it to the dealer it did this every ~20 minutes for 1/2 to 2 minutes at a time, every single time I drove the car, regardless of weather.

TK211X

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The Radar unit also acts as the SCC / AEB / FCA ECU. The connector has two CAN going to it plus power and ground.

One CAN is C-CAN going to the vehicle another is L-CAN going direct to the camera unit.

If the vehicle says SCC conditions not met then everything is fine it's been disabled because the conditions are not met.

However, If you get SCC & AEB error then there is an issue with the ECU from the rest of the vehicle. Given you guys have been saying it happens during rain or temperature changes I'm willing to bet the connection going to the Radar is compromised. Either the water or the temperature change is saturating the air / condensing on the contacts and shorting the CAN.

Jptpro

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've had it maybe three times in over 43,000 miles on 2 cars. Does not bother me as you should not be using SCC in those conditions and be driving slower, leaving plenty of space, anyway. As soon as the rain slows it is back on.

If this is happening to me without rain, what do you think it might be?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If this is happening to me without rain, what do you think it might be?
If it is happening in good weather, there may be a problem with the sensor or a connection.

If the front plate gets covered with snow, heavy rain, road salt, dirt, it is unable to "see" and function. If none of that applies, could be a physical problem and should be checked out.

Jptpro

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've had it maybe three times in over 43,000 miles on 2 cars. Does not bother me as you should not be using SCC in those noconditions and be driving slower, leaving plenty of space, anyway. As soon as the rain slows it is back on.

The Radar unit also acts as the SCC / AEB / FCA ECU. The connector has two CAN going to it plus power and ground.

One CAN is C-CAN going to the vehicle another is L-CAN going direct to the camera unit.

If the vehicle says SCC conditions not met then everything is fine it's been disabled because the conditions are not met.

However, If you get SCC & AEB error then there is an issue with the ECU from the rest of the vehicle. Given you guys have been saying it happens during rain or temperature changes I'm willing to bet the connection going to the Radar is compromised. Either the water or the temperature change is saturating the air / condensing on the contacts and shorting the CAN.

Would repairing this potential poor connection require removing the bumper cover?

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Nothing needs repair. Heavy rain blocks the signal so the AEB will not see a car ahead. Ask anyone with satellite TV and they will have the same issue once in a great while. It is a matter of physics, not technology breakdown. If you wear eyeglasses you will have the same problem in heavy rain at 50 mph.
Nature of the beast... Heavy rain used to disable the adaptive cruise in my old Infinti as well. Radar based systems can't cope with it.

G-915606

How is it a design flaw?You don't want super reactive/intuitive brakes when you have slick roads with rain or snow, DUH.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums