Chime on Startup

BikerStan

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have a new 2010 Genesis 4.6 Sedan with the technology package. I have noticed a series of 3 distinct chimes on startup that are lowder and distinct from the chimes related to the seatbelt not being fastened. If you start the car with the seatbelt fastened, you only hear these 3 chimes. I'm sure it was not there from day one, but can't figure out what is causing it. I took it back to the dealer and sat in the parking lot with the salesman trying to figure it out. He thought it may have been from the parking sensor. We tried backing out of the parking spot and it went away. However, this didn't last. I have tried in open parking lots with nothing in front of me and still get this sound. Anyone have any ideas what this is and how to get rid of it?

I've tried searching for this on the forum and haven't found any references to this. I apologize if I have missed something that has already been posted.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

flyboy2

Been here awhile...
It chimes when your kickstand is still down-- :D

You might experiment with your seat belt. The chime sometimes goes on after the motor is turned off until the door is opened and you exit.

What type of bike do your ride?

SterlingDave

Registered Member
Denver, CO
It chimes when your kickstand is still down-- :D

You might experiment with your seat belt. The chime sometimes goes on after the motor is turned off until the door is opened and you exit.

What type of bike do your ride?
Come on, Flyboy, don't tease him like that. We all know that the three chimes means that the supercharger is ready and HOT! :D

mikec

Registered Member
SoCal
Do you have the seat or steering wheel "easy access" enabled - i.e. do they move back and forth making it easier to get in/out of the car? If so, the beeps might be a warning that something is moving. The 2009s don't beep with easy access motion (I just checked mine!) but maybe 2010 is different?

Or it could be a warning/reminder about the electric parking brake?

My car (2009 V8 Tech) if I sit in it and fasten the seat belt before starting, doesn't make any chime sounds at all. It chimes 6 times though if I start it before fastening the seat belt. I have the easy access enabled too.

mike c.

BikerStan

I took the car by the dealer today and had the head technician look at it. Stumped him. He wants me to bring it by some day when they can plug it into the computer and see what's happening.

Thanks for the suggestion on the easy access. I do have both of those set for the seat and the steering wheel. I just tried turning both of them off and it still makes the same sound on startup.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'll definitely post once I either figure it out on my own or from the dealer.

realpix

Been here awhile...
I took the car by the dealer today and had the head technician look at it. Stumped him. He wants me to bring it by some day when they can plug it into the computer and see what's happening.

Thanks for the suggestion on the easy access. I do have both of those set for the seat and the steering wheel. I just tried turning both of them off and it still makes the same sound on startup.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'll definitely post once I either figure it out on my own or from the dealer.
You probably need the "cigarette" lighter that glows red which in actuality is the 1.21 gigawatt flux capacitor.

Gives me plenty of power in my V-8!

BikerStan

Finally got the car back after a day and a half at the dealership. They said they had the Hyundai field service engineer in the shop that day and he and their tech line had never heard of this issue. Their conclusion is that there were loose ground wires and wires not fastened with the proper tension on the front and right front parking sensors. They had the bumper off and fixed these items. Got the car back last night and so far, so good.

I never like having a new car that starts off with electrical problems. I just hope this isn't an omen of things to come with this car! I'm enjoying the car way too much to have these kinds of things going on.

BikerStan

Here are a couple of other notes on this issue. Since they fixed the loose wires on the connection in the front bumper, I do not normally hear these 3 chimes on startup.

However, if I am parked very close to something either near the front, or the rear, of the car, I still get them on startup. It does not matter if the parking sensor is activated or not. For example, if the car is pulled way into the garage and is near the wall, it will give of these 3 chimes when it is started. Also, if it is backed into a parking space and there is another car near the back bumper, I notice them as well.

Even though the Hyundai service manager says he has never heard of this, it seems like this it may be performing correctly like this.

I'm curious, does anyone else who has the parking sensors notice these 3 chimes when starting the car if they are parked with something close to either the front or rear bumper?

BikerStan

One further update for anyone who is interested. The chimes came back. Took the car to the dealer again and they ended up replacing two of the sensors on the front bumper. Said they weren't sure if this was the problem, gave the car back to me and asked me to drive it for a while and let them know. They did confirm that it should not be making this sound when it was started, even if it was parked close to something in front or back. Unfortunately, the new sensors were black which didn't look so good on a white car. They said they wanted me to try this and make sure it wasn't the paint causing the problem. After several days with no problems, I took the car back to them and they sent it off to a body shop to get the new sensors painted. I've had it back for about a week now with no further problems. It seems like they finally have it fixed. Unfortunate that the car has been in the shop for over 2 weeks total in the first 3 months!

Other than that, it's a great car.

I hope nobody else has this problem, but if you do, this may help in diagnosing it.

cspartan

Registered Member
These chimes just started in my '10 4.6 w/Tech last week. It's not that annoying and I very rarely use the parking sensors. Wondering since I'm over my 2nd owner coverage on electrical warranty if I could even get the dealer to replace mine without paying. Thoughts?

snork

Registered Member
North NJ
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Mine started doing this last week too. I don't even leave the parking sensors on, so it chimes regardless if they are on or off. It appears to be the forward (middle 2) sensors in my case, since when I turn them on, the middle sensors are now overly sensitive for some reason. They start warning at about 6'-7' which is also pretty much every parking situation. I did notice the paint is pealing a bit on them, so maybe it is interfering with the ultrasonic signals?

I'm well past the warranty, so if it isn't the peeling paint, I'll just live with it. The chimes don't bother, but I did have a brief moment of panic till I figured it out since there were no other warning lights or engine codes using an OBDII scanner.

adampadilla101

UT
I hate people. Not one person here could give you a serious answer???? My 2010 is doing the same thing and guess what? IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PARKING SENSORS!!!! The beeps you are hearing are the car telling you that the key fobs battery is getting low and it's time to replace. Genesis is a nightmare and all these forums are a joke. This is all pretty sad because the Genesis is a pretty awesome car and if people would actually put their heads together instead of mocking everyone else's situation these cars would be known in a good way and maybe hold their value a little better, but no instead everyone wants to be a comedian.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I hate people. Not one person here could give you a serious answer???? My 2010 is doing the same thing and guess what? IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PARKING SENSORS!!!! The beeps you are hearing are the car telling you that the key fobs battery is getting low and it's time to replace. Genesis is a nightmare and all these forums are a joke. This is all pretty sad because the Genesis is a pretty awesome car and if people would actually put their heads together instead of mocking everyone else's situation these cars would be known in a good way and maybe hold their value a little better, but no instead everyone wants to be a comedian.
genesisbeeps.jpg

maldini

Genesis Model Type

maldini

Genesis Model Type
ok great , i have the same beeps noise i will change the battery on the fob, in the mean time anyone thinking of disconnect the chime or the wire to the sensor? can we ? anyone please ,thanks

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
ok great , i have the same beeps noise i will change the battery on the fob, in the mean time anyone thinking of disconnect the chime or the wire to the sensor? can we ? anyone please ,thanks
Does it beep continually? If not, I don't understand why it's a big deal? I don't know if the fob battery is only available at a dealer or something the user can change themselves.

Now if you're saying you're worried about not being able to start the car at a certain point, that's a different matter.