Chipped my front right tire, does it need to be replaced? (Photos included)

Gpugliese92

Genesis G70
I chipped my right front tire in 2 spots after side-curbing it when making a turn. I have attached some photos. The damage seems to be on the side wall, but closer to where the tire comes in contact with the rim. The car/wheels are nearly new (4,500miles) but I noticed the pressure was 5 PSI less than the other 3 tires when this happened. Is this enough damage to warrant a replacement? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis G70
Looks ok to me but just run to discount tire and have them take a quick look. Takes 5 minutes and you’ll have piece of mind for one of the most important safety related items on your car

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
Surprised the rim made it unscathed, that was lucky.

CVODON

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I wouldn't drive it that way. Sidewall damage is pretty scary and yours it pretty deep at that. Call Tire Rack and get a tire on the way. They have OE spec for your car, cheaper than dealer and will ship either to you or a recommended installer in your area.

Gpugliese92

Genesis G70
Thanks for the tips everyone. I feel split because I just went to a Mavis and the guy didn’t seem too concerned over it and didn’t recommend replacing it.

Here is a follow-up: I purchased the tire and wheel protection plan at the Genesis dealership I got the car at. Do you guys think they will cover the replacement?

Thanks again!

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Equus (2011-2016)
If you do decide to replace the tire, measure the tread depth of the L/F tire. If it is worn a decent amount, I would consider replacing both front tires.

Gpugliese92

Genesis G70
If you do decide to replace the tire, measure the tread depth of the L/F tire. If it is worn a decent amount, I would consider replacing both front tires.
Right now, the L/F tire tread depth is about 6-7/32. That should be ok, right? Like I mentioned, the car/tires are fairly new..just 4,500miles.

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Equus (2011-2016)
Strictly preference, as it won't damage anything but be misaligned if you replace the chipped tire.

You're R/F will be 9.5/32" (new), and your L/F will be 6-7/32".

Gpugliese92

Genesis G70
I'd be there tomorrow to find out. That is what you paid for, use it.
Thanks a ton! Please keep me updated. My only concern is that the contract specifically says damage from “hazards” so I’d think they would argue that me side-curbing the tire is not considered a road hazard.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis G70
I would drive it just fine and not worry about it. Sidewalls are pretty thick and just because some rubber is missing doesn’t mean it’s going to blow any easier than when tread life gets to 50% remaining. Discount tire doesn’t even like to fix punctures so they will want to sell you a new tire. Do what makes you comfortable for if you get scared to drive it then that won’t do you any good either. I would take my Harley tires right down to the wear bars so I live on the edge to a degree with tires.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The damage seems to be in the thicker area some refer to as the curb protector. I had similar damage to one of my fronts and was told that it was cosmetic only. I replaced it, but kept the damaged one and mounted it to a 2012 19" R Spec Genesis wheel and swapped out the donut for a real spare.

Vortex951

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I'd be there tomorrow to find out. That is what you paid for, use it.
I agree completely. I got a screw in one of my tires. Repaired for free in about 45 min

Gpugliese92

Genesis G70
Are you sure it was the curb and not a rock that fell off the dump truck in front of you? Or a road construction project you passed through? I just read the Costco warranty and my interpretation is that it would be covered anyway. Read what your says.

It will be pro-rated based on tread wear. That is normal practice.
Touche ;)...thanks for the tip. Hopefully they won't have a problem with that.

Just to clarify I think EdP meant YOU should be there tomorrow to find out, not him.
Whoops, I misread that..thanks for the clarification.

The damage seems to be in the thicker area some refer to as the curb protector. I had similar damage to one of my fronts and was told that it was cosmetic only. I replaced it, but kept the damaged one and mounted it to a 2012 19" R Spec Genesis wheel and swapped out the donut for a real spare.
That is good to know. Since I am getting about 50/50 advice, I figure I'll take it to a couple of tire shops and the Genesis service shop and see what they say. Thanks a ton for your help.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I chipped my right front tire in 2 spots after side-curbing it when making a turn. I have attached some photos. The damage seems to be on the side wall, but closer to where the tire comes in contact with the rim. The car/wheels are nearly new (4,500miles) but I noticed the pressure was 5 PSI less than the other 3 tires when this happened. Is this enough damage to warrant a replacement? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!
For safety reasons, yes I would replace the tire as the sidewall structure may now be compromised and could become a blowout risk. I was told by tire shops that sidewall damage on a tire is not really repairable and that the affected tire need to be replaced ASAP. Right or wrong, not sure but I would not take the risk. My family life and my own is more important than saving a couple hundred dollars to risk riding on a damaged tire.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums