Chrome Boomerang

waz

Registered Member
Congrats to all G70 owners who were prescient enough to purchase their ride before Motor Trend named it COTY.

The lease on my '15 Hyundai Genesis sedan is up at the end of February, and I have been looking for suitable replacement.

I am impressed by what I have read on the car, and looked at two G70s in person at my local Hyundai dealer a few days ago., but didn't drive one. I have, however, driven a 2019 Kia K900 with the 3.3 twin turbo (very nice car).

I like the looks of the G70 with the exception of the chrome trim on the body side vent. While not quite as egregious as the fake hood vents on the Stinger and '13 - '17 Genesis Coupe, for me they ruin an attractive design.

I agree with Da Vinci when he said "simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication," and I don't like contrived chrome doodads and geegaws cluttering up my cars. While they can be trivial for others, they can be deal breakers for me.

So if I do lease a G70, I would probably have to do something with that chrome trim...maybe Plastidip it gunmetal gray to match the wheels.

Of course, "every man to his taste." Your thoughts on the matter?

50jae

Hasn't posted much yet...
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It looks better on some paint colors than others. On my white G70 I think the boomerang vents gives it a sportier look in a subtle way. On blue or other colors that contrast more heavily with the chrome, I think dark chrome would work better. But end of the day it's a small part of the car that doesn't detract from the overall look in my personal opinion. It's no pig nose grill like on the new bmw's or the massive gaping grilles on lexus's that demand your attention.

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You can always plastidip them with your color of choice. I like them and being fully funtional I have no problem with mine but as the OP said "every man to his taste."

Last edited:

waz

Registered Member
"Here we go again. These vents are functional. They are there for a purpose. "

My apologies if this has been covered before. I looked at all the thread titles in the G70 Exterior Discussion and didn't see anything pertinent.

Yes, I know the vents are functional but the chrome boomerang trim is not.

Hell, the verticle door handles on the Nissan Z370 are functional too, but they're still fugly.

And don't get me started on the crappy light thingies they put on the sides of the 2020 G90. Why Luc Duncklefarfignewton? Why?

They're akin to the fake exhaust ports/torpedo tubes they've been putting on Buicks lo these many years.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
"Here we go again. These vents are functional. They are there for a purpose. "

My apologies if this has been covered before. I looked at all the thread titles in the G70 Exterior Discussion and didn't see anything pertinent.

Yes, I know the vents are functional but the chrome boomerang trim is not.

Hell, the verticle door handles on the Nissan Z370 are functional too, but they're still fugly.

And don't get me started on the crappy light thingies they put on the sides of the 2020 G90. Why Luc Duncklefarfignewton? Why?

They're akin to the fake exhaust ports/torpedo tubes they've been putting on Buicks lo these many years.
Gotcha. Just so you know...the dark chrome on the Sport already matches the dark 5-spoke wheels. All the trim is dark chrome...really nice.

The Sport has it all nicely done :)

I also got the dark chrome license plate frames to match everything.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Congrats to all G70 owners who were prescient enough to purchase their ride before Motor Trend named it COTY.

The lease on my '15 Hyundai Genesis sedan is up at the end of February, and I have been looking for suitable replacement.

I am impressed by what I have read on the car, and looked at two G70s in person at my local Hyundai dealer a few days ago., but didn't drive one. I have, however, driven a 2019 Kia K900 with the 3.3 twin turbo (very nice car).

I like the looks of the G70 with the exception of the chrome trim on the body side vent. While not quite as egregious as the fake hood vents on the Stinger and '13 - '17 Genesis Coupe, for me they ruin an attractive design.

I agree with Da Vinci when he said "simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication," and I don't like contrived chrome doodads and geegaws cluttering up my cars. While they can be trivial for others, they can be deal breakers for me.

So if I do lease a G70, I would probably have to do something with that chrome trim...maybe Plastidip it gunmetal gray to match the wheels.

Planning on plasti-dipping some of the chrome accents once I get mine. I'll definitely be posting before/after pics on this forum.

joschneider

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Planning on plasti-dipping some of the chrome accents once I get mine. I'll definitely be posting before/after pics on this forum.
This is something I really want to do eventually, except I don’t know how anyone will get around the radar cover on the grill if they go that route. Excited to see your pics and write up on the subject for all the other trim pieces

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...

100% agree the entire chrome accents on the exterior is crying for a blackout treatment. The boomerang the door handles and pillars.

Mooch174

Registered Member
Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Here we go again. These vents are functional. They are there for a purpose.
They may be technically "functional" but I am not sure if they have a purpose besides looking cool. ;) I think they look way better than the totally fake ones on the Stinger, though.

Mooch174

Registered Member
Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Obviously they didn't. That was my point.

I wasn't being serious anyway (hence the wink). I just don't think anyone (okay, let's say almost anyone) would notice a difference if they weren't there. So, they're there to look cool. And so Genesis can say they are real and not fake like Kia's. ;)

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm just saying...clearly the Stinger designers didn't think they were necessary.
The side vents on the Stinger are functional just like on the G70. Just the hood "vents" on the Stinger are fake. Personally that is what I hate most about the Stinger.

Regarding the side vents though, I know they are functional and more and more cars have it but I am still not a big fan. I would rather a slicker, smoother look. One of the reasons I have the Himalayan Grey on my sport, they are less noticeable. :)

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The vents on the Stinger actually collect a lot of rocks that you can see from the side of the car stuck in the vents. I haven't noticed that happening on my G70, but both Stinger's I test drove had that issue last April (when we have a lot of sand/gravel on the roads from the winter).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.