Cold start problem

Tasmin

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hello, I am a new member , I have my sedan for 4 years, every winter I have 2-4 times cold start problems, when the temp is north of -20f, it will crank easy but no firing, like a frozen fuel line, the dealership can't find anything wrong with it, no memory in the computer, happened with full and not full tank. Anybody having a similar problem? Cheers

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hello, I am a new member , I have my sedan for 4 years, every winter I have 2-4 times cold start problems, when the temp is north of -20f, it will crank easy but no firing, like a frozen fuel line, the dealership can't find anything wrong with it, no memory in the computer, happened with full and not full tank. Anybody having a similar problem? Cheers
What eventually starts it? If no codes, it can be difficult to diagnose unless you can put instruments on right then, not later after it is warmed. I have to wonder if the battery is getting sucked on by the starter that there is not enough juice to give the ignition power. That seems odd as most cost problems are no cranking.

Tasmin

Genesis Model Type
What eventually starts it? If no codes, it can be difficult to diagnose unless you can put instruments on right then, not later after it is warmed. I have to wonder if the battery is getting sucked on by the starter that there is not enough juice to give the ignition power. That seems odd as most cost problems are no cranking.
Can't say for sure what happens, once just let it sit for a few hours then it started, at another time put some methyl hydrate in the tank tried to to start one hour later was ok, twice I had the gas pedal to the floor it started, at others times I'd did not, as soon as the temp is not as cold it's ok, nothing consistent

arcman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I had an old Honda Civic that on a couple occasions did something similar. Upon cranking, it would kick then die immediately. The next crank the motor would spin (and spin, and spin) really easy with no start. I though the timing belt broke. Nope.

Thinking it was a low/no fuel issue, I pulled the plugs, connected them to the wires and laid them over the spark plug holes. Cranked it and huge fireballs erupted from a very obviously flooded engine. Some kind of computer glitch but odd though how it made the engine sound like it had zero compression.
Next time it happened, I just put the pedal to the floor and it started in a few seconds.