Comparison: 2.0T RWD Sport(Manual) vs 2.0T AWD Elite

skroonigan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thought I'd put together a quick comparison, I just got my car back (2.0t Sport (manual)) last night. I've had a 2.0t AWD elite loaner (I'll just refer to this car as the loaner) for 3 weeks, so I've spent a decent amount of time in it.

Disclaimer: I honestly don't mean to bash either car in this review, this is just what I experienced YMMV.

Engine/Drivetrain - This probably the most dramatic difference between the cars. The manual version *feels* a lot quicker off the line and up to about 50-60mph, and then they start to feel about the same. The loaner feels super sluggish off the line and lacks the turbo shove that the manual has. With the manual you can use the clutch to get past the turbo lag part of the powerband and get into boost. I did put a full tank of premium in the loaner, because I honestly thought it was just pulling timing/boost because of low quality fuel the dealer most likely put in. This helped, but after driving them back to back it didn't really make a big difference when comparing both cars. Passing on the highway and merging to get up to highway speeds in both cars felt pretty similar. I work from home so I don't spend a lot of time on the highway, mostly short trips around town. I'd be curious to drive an automatic RWD version, see if it feels closer to my car. The sluggishness of the loaner feels like a tuning issue or some sort of emissions hack they are doing, makes me wonder if a tune/tuning box would fix it.

Handling/Ride - Both cars feel very similar handling wise. My car just feels like the sharper version of the loaner. Steering feel on my car is better and the initial turn in is better. You can attribute most of that to the tires (PS4S v all seasons on loaner), bigger rims on my car and no AWD system influencing steering feel on my car. The loaner feels a bit smoother with the smaller rims, but overall the cars feel very similar ride-wise. I did notice some plowing in the loaner when going a bit too aggressive into turns, but again that's probably just the tires/AWD system. Wet weather grip is noticeably better on the PS4S vs the loaner's all-season tires, so if you're concerned about the PS4Ss in the rain, I wouldn't be.

Interior/Features - The loaner has the elite package so it has some features that my car doesn't I'll just go through the stuff I noticed:
Seats - The upgraded leather quilted seats are worth the upgrade over the leatherette seats, they're much more comfortable. If it was hot out I would have missed the cooled seats in my car, as the loaner doesn't have them. Overall if I had the option I would have upgraded to the leather seats (lucky canadians get the leather seats in the sport manual).
Infotainment/Tech - The loaner's navigation infotainment has a noticeably sharper screen vs the base screen that came in my car. I prefer the buttons on my car as there is a seperate Phone button that doesn't exist in the loaner (yes you can re-program the star button to open the phone, but I have that programmed to open android auto). I didn't use navigation, so can't comment on accuracy of that. Radar cruise control on the loaner is a nice upgrade, I didn't get to test how it worked in traffic, but on the highway it seemed to work good. Folding mirrors are nice along with the bling factor of the LED logo on the loaner.

Loaner automatic transmission woes - This probably drives everybody with the automatic nuts.. I wish you could leave Auto Hold on and turn off automatic shutoff functionality (the loaner off the line is slowww when the engine turns off, my wife's volvo isn't this slow) instead of having to do every time you start the car. My wife's volvo you can at least keep Auto Hold ON, I don't understand why Genesis doesn't give this option. Maybe they'll fix this in the refresh. Worth noting my car doesn't auto hold unless there's a hill, and it doesn't turn off automatically.

Summary: I can certainly see the draws of the loaner, the extra features over my car make it a better highway cruiser IMO. If you have a long highway commute or a commute with a lot of traffic it would be hard to justify the manual. My car is def. more engaging and certainly does a better job making the 2.0T feel sufficient. Do I dare say it does the slow car fast thing pretty good. Again, I'm driving around town and back roads, I feel like I would run out of room to really enjoy the 3.3TT. Either way I'm curious to drive the 3.3TT, see how it compares.

Last edited:

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
OP - interesting takes! i also posted about my experience with a 2.0T Elite AWD a few weeks ago, while my 6MT was in for service.

NOTE that i have the CAD spec 6MT which comes with much different packaging than the US spec:

from my previous post:

so i have a review...of a G70 loaner car over the weekend. i had my G70 6MT Sport in for its 2nd 'free' Genesis service.

while in for service, they gave me a 2021 2.0T Elite AWD for the day in grey on black. in CAD, this is the 2nd most expensive 2.0T trim. after my day in it, i do not understand the trim packaging. i was also very surprised how different of an impression the car made overall.

observations compared to my 6MT Sport trim - remember, the CAD 6MT trim differs from the US 6MT which doesn't have the Sport appearance package or many other CAD spec bits:

Positives:
- the Elite gets additional safety gadgets. this must be the primary reason someone would pay $4k over the base 2.0T.
- the Elite has Navi which worked well
- Elite has ventilated seats. this is by far the highlight of what the Elite offered over the 6MT Sport. i want, but can't have. booo (vented seats come with the US spec 6MT trim)
- in a weird way i feel the 2.0T and boost programming are better suited to the 8AT. while i did not like the 8AT, the Elite car seemed to drive smoothly and engine/tranny were well matched. the 6MT can be a bit too 'surgey' since the throttle control is so different
- strong feeling acceleration (but nothing too wild)
- it had HTRAC which would be handy in slippery conditions

Negatives:
- no HUD
- no performance gauge screen
- weak-sauce silver 18" rims
- low-grip A/S tires
- base brakes were OK, but nowhere near the bite of the euro compound Brembo combo
- lame exhaust note compared to 6MT's sport exhaust - i had no idea how much of a difference this would be
- the engine sound inside the cabin was very different than in my car, which is still a 2.0T
- much more pronounced "enhancement" with the piped in noise. when i got the car it was on the highest/most enhanced setting. it was VERY obvious and off-putting and set off my dislike of the Elite trim. with the 6MT, the most enhanced setting is very tame since the exhaust sounds better to start with.
- no extending thigh support
- no auto-side bolster when Sport mode engaged
- the elite leather did not feel like leather. even my car-guy buddy mentioned the same thing. there is a vast difference between the Sport x-stitched Nappa and the Elite leathers
- the x-stitched interior of the Sport has so much more character than the subtle Elite pattern
- door cards were boring, no visible stitching
- light grey roof liner was much cheaper looking than the black microfibre (or whatever it's called) in the Sport
- not a fan of the bright chrome exterior trim compared to Sport dark chrome
- i do not like the centre console of the 8AT - far too much flat plastic, especially beside the driver's right leg. the 6MT has a handbrake which creates a deep recess in the console so that there is no wall of plastic beside your right leg. also, the leather 6MT shift boot takes up the real estate of the Elite's black plastic trim
- i do not dig the electronic park brake. it's finicky and not very sport-oriented. using the parking brake has been a useful tool in the past in slippery conditions and having manual control of it is far more confidence inspiring than leaving everything traction-related to the electronics
- not a fan of the auto start/stop - i shut that off each time i got in, which is easy enough to do but annoying
- the Elite gets additional safety stuff, some of which drove me nuts for tight city driving. i ended up shutting off the forward-collision feature
- fuel economy of the Elite lagged far behind my 6MT. i never see above ~12-13 L/100kms in my car. i was at just shy of 17 L/100kms for the day in the Elite. certainly part of that was due to me bagging on it a bit. but nothing crazy and i was in the city all day
- flappy paddles responded OK to downshifts, but the car kept reverting to D when i slowed down or came to a stop
- the Elite didn't seem to inspire driving for fun as does the Sport
- turn in and handling is much sharper in the lighter RWD 6MT trim

Between the interior and exterior trim packaging, as well as the subdued colour and rims, nothing felt special about the Elite i drove. it was a fine car and did everything well enough, but it just does not elicit any emotion or sense of wanting to have fun as does the Sport trim. my guess is that the Elite buyer must have the safety gadgets but doesn't need some of the luxury pieces found on the higher Prestige trim. Prestige is another $4k or so, so i get it. but i never expected to see such a drastic difference in the car's character and feel between trims.

i realize that there is no getting around a fundamental difference going from 6MT to 8AT - that is a game changer which of course impacts my perception. i also know that the only other G70 trim i would have purchased would have been the 3.3T Sport since i appreciate all of the Sport trim packaging elements which we get in CAD with the 6MT. then again, if Genesis hadn't made headlines by offering a 6MT trim i probably would have never considered the G70 in the first place. hyundai/Genesis were never on my radar, and i'd be driving a 6MT BMW 2 or 3 series right now.

just my 0.02. no offense to any of the Elite owners. everyone has their motivations and priorities which led to their purchases, and i'm sure they'd not care for the 6MT at all. so, maybe the answer is Genesis did a great job appealing to a wide demographic with the G70.

skroonigan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
2019 and 2020 Elite have differing equipment (ventilated seats). Which year was the loaner?

I'm not sure, tbh. It def didn't have ventilated seats.

I'm surprised at how different but similar our experiences have been, I'll bold some stuff I forgot to mention that I experienced:
OP - interesting takes! i also posted about my experience with a 2.0T Elite AWD a few weeks ago, while my 6MT was in for service.

NOTE that i have the CAD spec 6MT which comes with much different packaging than the US spec:

from my previous post:

so i have a review...of a G70 loaner car over the weekend. i had my G70 6MT Sport in for its 2nd 'free' Genesis service.

while in for service, they gave me a 2021 2.0T Elite AWD for the day in grey on black. in CAD, this is the 2nd most expensive 2.0T trim. after my day in it, i do not understand the trim packaging. i was also very surprised how different of an impression the car made overall.

observations compared to my 6MT Sport trim - remember, the CAD 6MT trim differs from the US 6MT which doesn't have the Sport appearance package or many other CAD spec bits:

Positives:
- the Elite gets additional safety gadgets. this must be the primary reason someone would pay $4k over the base 2.0T.
- the Elite has Navi which worked well
- Elite has ventilated seats. this is by far the highlight of what the Elite offered over the 6MT Sport. i want, but can't have. booo (vented seats come with the US spec 6MT trim)
- in a weird way i feel the 2.0T and boost programming are better suited to the 8AT. while i did not like the 8AT, the Elite car seemed to drive smoothly and engine/tranny were well matched. the 6MT can be a bit too 'surgey' since the throttle control is so different
- strong feeling acceleration (but nothing too wild)
- it had HTRAC which would be handy in slippery conditions

Negatives:
- no HUD
- no performance gauge screen
- weak-sauce silver 18" rims
- low-grip A/S tires
- base brakes were OK, but nowhere near the bite of the euro compound Brembo combo
- lame exhaust note compared to 6MT's sport exhaust - i had no idea how much of a difference this would be
- the engine sound inside the cabin was very different than in my car, which is still a 2.0T

- much more pronounced "enhancement" with the piped in noise. when i got the car it was on the highest/most enhanced setting. it was VERY obvious and off-putting and set off my dislike of the Elite trim. with the 6MT, the most enhanced setting is very tame since the exhaust sounds better to start with.
- no extending thigh support
- no auto-side bolster when Sport mode engaged
- the elite leather did not feel like leather. even my car-guy buddy mentioned the same thing. there is a vast difference between the Sport x-stitched Nappa and the Elite leathers
- the x-stitched interior of the Sport has so much more character than the subtle Elite pattern
- door cards were boring, no visible stitching
- light grey roof liner was much cheaper looking than the black microfibre (or whatever it's called) in the Sport
- not a fan of the bright chrome exterior trim compared to Sport dark chrome
- i do not like the centre console of the 8AT - far too much flat plastic, especially beside the driver's right leg. the 6MT has a handbrake which creates a deep recess in the console so that there is no wall of plastic beside your right leg. also, the leather 6MT shift boot takes up the real estate of the Elite's black plastic trim
- i do not dig the electronic park brake. it's finicky and not very sport-oriented. using the parking brake has been a useful tool in the past in slippery conditions and having manual control of it is far more confidence inspiring than leaving everything traction-related to the electronics
- not a fan of the auto start/stop - i shut that off each time i got in, which is easy enough to do but annoying
- the Elite gets additional safety stuff, some of which drove me nuts for tight city driving. i ended up shutting off the forward-collision feature
- fuel economy of the Elite lagged far behind my 6MT. i never see above ~12-13 L/100kms in my car. i was at just shy of 17 L/100kms for the day in the Elite. certainly part of that was due to me bagging on it a bit. but nothing crazy and i was in the city all day
- flappy paddles responded OK to downshifts, but the car kept reverting to D when i slowed down or came to a stop
- the Elite didn't seem to inspire driving for fun as does the Sport
- turn in and handling is much sharper in the lighter RWD 6MT trim

Between the interior and exterior trim packaging, as well as the subdued colour and rims, nothing felt special about the Elite i drove. it was a fine car and did everything well enough, but it just does not elicit any emotion or sense of wanting to have fun as does the Sport trim. my guess is that the Elite buyer must have the safety gadgets but doesn't need some of the luxury pieces found on the higher Prestige trim. Prestige is another $4k or so, so i get it. but i never expected to see such a drastic difference in the car's character and feel between trims.

i realize that there is no getting around a fundamental difference going from 6MT to 8AT - that is a game changer which of course impacts my perception. i also know that the only other G70 trim i would have purchased would have been the 3.3T Sport since i appreciate all of the Sport trim packaging elements which we get in CAD with the 6MT. then again, if Genesis hadn't made headlines by offering a 6MT trim i probably would have never considered the G70 in the first place. hyundai/Genesis were never on my radar, and i'd be driving a 6MT BMW 2 or 3 series right now.

just my 0.02. no offense to any of the Elite owners. everyone has their motivations and priorities which led to their purchases, and i'm sure they'd not care for the 6MT at all. so, maybe the answer is Genesis did a great job appealing to a wide demographic with the G70.

Man, you def. make me jealous we didn't get a real "Sport" trim in the US for the 6mt. This is thesecond 2.0t awd loaner I've had that I've experienced sluggish acceleration, makes me wonder if there's a software update these cars aren't getting in the US that the CA cars are getting.

Last edited:

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think it was a 2020. Ventilated seats in 2020 moves up to a higher package from 2019 where it was in Elite. No longer. I have an Elite 2019 and recently had a 2020 Elite loaner and noticed it immediately.

PJ Genesis

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On the lag issue- you have to remember the 2.0T AWD system has extra weight, friction, rotational inertia and an automatic transmission to overcome. It is not hard to imagine the manual would feel much more spritely off the line. I've learned to push past the lag, and think it gets going pretty quickly. The Germans do it better on a 2.0T, but I'm happy to not having spent German money for the car.

skroonigan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On the lag issue- you have to remember the 2.0T AWD system has extra weight, friction, rotational inertia and an automatic transmission to overcome. It is not hard to imagine the manual would feel much more spritely off the line. I've learned to push past the lag, and think it gets going pretty quickly. The Germans do it better on a 2.0T, but I'm happy to not having spent German money for the car.

Oh I totally agree. I wonder if the automatic transmission or the AWD system is the greater factor. I'm curious what sort of results a transmission and engine tune would do.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums