Complete electrical failure

Jolson71

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I've got a 2012 5.0 r spec. There had been no electrical issues with the car. Yesterday I got home after driving for an hour, shut the car off and went in the house. About half an hour later I went out, started the car and the dash lit up with warnings. Check vehicle power system came on, lost all power steering, made it about a block and the car died completely. I could smell something electrical hot or burning under the hood like something burned out. Alternator was free and spinning, belt was fine, battery is only a couple months old. Now, even with a battery charger on or using jumper cables there is absolutely no electrical power getting to the vehicle. It's completely dead! I'm 2.5 hours from the closest Hyundai dealer, so looking for any suggestions on what it could be. Fuse blown somewhere?

Jolson71

Genesis Model Type
So, replaced the battery, alternator(giant pain by the way!) and belt today. Car starts, runs, and sounds normal but there is still a problem. The battery light is on and "check vehicle power system" occasionally flashes. What else could it possibly be? Is there a voltage regulator or some sort of power module in this system that could be bad? I can't get it in to be diagnosed until Monday and would rather not take it to a dealer. No blown fuses either.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
did the check vehicle power system message go away after driving?
Mine had that before I changed the alternator also - and yes a major pain to do! But the message when away after I drove maybe 1 mile with the new alternator.

G-398435

Turns out the new alternator was junk too! Car died on the highway in a -20 windchill here in MN. Towed to a shop, another new alternator and now seems to be fixed. We will see.

rlkoch1

Hasn't posted much yet...
I was having all kinds of electrical problems with my 2011 Genesis sedan: flickering display, no power at all when I went to start it, etc. I checked the battery voltage and it was ok, as was the alternator. I cleaned the battery terminals although they looked fine and that did nothing. I then disconnected the ground cable where it is attached to the car body in the trunk, cleaned the area even though it looked good and reconnected. I have had no problems since (three months ago)!!!

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
I was having all kinds of electrical problems with my 2011 Genesis sedan: flickering display, no power at all when I went to start it, etc. I checked the battery voltage and it was ok, as was the alternator. I cleaned the battery terminals although they looked fine and that did nothing. I then disconnected the ground cable where it is attached to the car body in the trunk, cleaned the area even though it looked good and reconnected. I have had no problems since (three months ago)!!!
Good point as grounding points are a common issue. Even ones that are out of the weather (in the trunk). Electricity is funny like that especially since you cannot see it (lightning is another story)

memphiskane

Registered Member
On my 2012 it was acting funny from time to time. Cant remember why but at one point I had to remove the ground point for the ECU and the bolt hole was completely rusted out. I moved it to a different bolt after grinding down the paint a bit. No more electrical goofyness after that.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.