Complimentary MapCare

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
What is “3 Year Complimentary Map Care”?

Does it mean that after three years, you have to pay for the map (Navi Map) in your screen? If so, I’ve never had to pay for the maps in my center display.

Genesis_16

Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
It means in those 3 years you can update the navigation system which is covered by Genesis and you not paying anything.

Last edited:

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yup.. and after 3 years, you pay for each update. But I think they're only $25 per update, now.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yup.. and after 3 years, you pay for each update. But I think they're only $25 per update, now.
Or free if you download.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
What is “3 Year Complimentary Map Care”?

Does it mean that after three years, you have to pay for the map (Navi Map) in your screen? If so, I’ve never had to pay for the maps in my center display.
Really? This is the first car I have had that I didn't have to pay $160+ for each map update, even the first year.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Really? This is the first car I have had that I didn't have to pay $160+ for each map update, even the first year.
They have updates every six months. I just installed the Apr '21 update in my '19 G80. You need a high speed SD card, and a way to write to it. My laptop has a slot.

But I don't think it's free after 3 years. Correct me if I'm wrong...

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
They have updates every six months. I just installed the Apr '21 update in my '19 G80. You need a high speed SD card, and a way to write to it. My laptop has a slot.

But I don't think it's free after 3 years. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Sorry, if I wasn't clear. I was pointing out that he was complaining about free updates for only three years, when all the other car makers charge (a lot, at that) for all updates, even the first year. Anyway, he is wrong as now Hyundai/Kia/Genesis map updates are free.

For the moment at least, they are all free if there is a download and just $25 plus shipping if there is not. Before April or so of last year, if your car was over three years old, it was $160 or something like that. Hopefully they will stay free now.

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
Sorry, if I wasn't clear. I was pointing out that he was complaining about free updates for only three years, when all the other car makers charge (a lot, at that) for all updates, even the first year. Anyway, he is wrong as now Hyundai/Kia/Genesis map updates are free.

For the moment at least, they are all free if there is a download and just $25 plus shipping if there is not. Before April or so of last year, if your car was over three years old, it was $160 or something like that. Hopefully they will stay free now.
$25 plus shipping. What does that mean. They ship you something but what do you do with that something. There is no SD slot in the car that I know of.
With both my Cadenza and my Regal, all I have to do is install a new (purchased) SD card in the slot. (Years ago, with my Lincoln’s I’d buy a new Disc and install that into the disc slot.)

n8800m

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I use Apple Car Play in my 2019 G80. I see no need to ever pay Genesis for a nav data update.

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
I use Apple Car Play in my 2019 G80. I see no need to ever pay Genesis for a nav data update.
Yes, I “could” do that. I “could” use Apple Car Play on both my Regal & my Cadenza but I prefer to just use the built in Map/Navi. I’m not about to pay OnStar or UVO.

Just want to know how maps are updated when they send you an update and how it is loaded. As far as I know and what one salesperson told me, the 2021 G80 does not use an SD card and no SD slot).
(I’ve never had success with OTA updates).

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes, I “could” do that. I “could” use Apple Car Play on both my Regal & my Cadenza but I prefer to just use the built in Map/Navi. I’m not about to pay OnStar or UVO.

Just want to know how maps are updated when they send you an update and how it is loaded. As far as I know and what one salesperson told me, the 2021 G80 does not use an SD card and no SD slot).
(I’ve never had success with OTA updates).
Some use a USB port.

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
$25 plus shipping. What does that mean. They ship you something but what do you do with that something. There is no SD slot in the car that I know of.
With both my Cadenza and my Regal, all I have to do is install a new (purchased) SD card in the slot. (Years ago, with my Lincoln’s I’d buy a new Disc and install that into the disc slot.)
Do you really think they would send you the update media without telling you “where to stick it?”

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If you really don't have an SD slot (they are semi-hidden), then they will send you a USB stick.

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
If you really don't have an SD slot (they are semi-hidden), then they will send you a USB stick.
Ok. That sounds reasonable.

BTW, my wife already tells me to “stick it where the Sun Don’t Shine”.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums