Confusion About Trim Options - 2.5 vs 3.5

FLtime

Registered Member
Polk County Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think the 2.5T with Advanced package is what I'm going to go with, but I have the below questions, and was wondering if anyone else on here was struggling with the same, or has found answers....

1) Leather: 2.5T Advanced has "Leather Seating Surfaces", but Sport Prestige has "Leather with Mesh Insert". Is it the same type and quality of leather? Does the 2.5T Advanced come with the Nappa leather? What's the difference between Leather and Nappa?

2) Highway Driving Assist II: Do you get this with the 2.5T Advanced package? The Genesis site doesn't spell this out.

3) Headliner: Do you not get the suede headliner with any of the 2.5T models?

4) No heads up display options on the 2.5T?

5) No heated steering wheel on the 2.5T?

It looks like I have to jump from the 2.5T advanced at $49,150 MSRP to the 3.5T Sport Prestige at $62,500 MSRP if I want a Suede Headliner, Nappa Leather, heated rear seats, a Heads Up Display, and 12.3" 3D display. Not sure if that's worth $13,350.

Etex

Registered Member
Nappa grade leather is tanned to net a softer, smoother finish and is full grain. Mesh inserts comes with regular leather. DA II has listed indivdual items (see chart).

Check out the following chart / attachments Screenshot_20210717-125712.jpg

All trims share the Standard base except as noted.

Screenshot_20210625-085558.jpg
This charts items shared between 2.5t vs 3.5t.
Highlighted items are unique to that trim level.

Gv70_42.jpg

PaulZooms

Hasn't posted much yet...
Lakewood, CO
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I think the 2.5T with Advanced package is what I'm going to go with, but I have the below questions, and was wondering if anyone else on here was struggling with the same, or has found answers....

1) Leather: 2.5T Advanced has "Leather Seating Surfaces", but Sport Prestige has "Leather with Mesh Insert". Is it the same type and quality of leather? Does the 2.5T Advanced come with the Nappa leather? What's the difference between Leather and Nappa?

2) Highway Driving Assist II: Do you get this with the 2.5T Advanced package? The Genesis site doesn't spell this out.

It looks like I have to jump from the 2.5T advanced at $49,150 MSRP to the 3.5T Sport Prestige at $62,500 MSRP if I want a Suede Headliner, Nappa Leather, heated rear seats, a Heads Up Display, and 12.3" 3D display. Not sure if that's worth $13,350.

Below is what’s included one trim above the Advanced, on the 2.5T Sport Prestige.
Still no HUD or Full digital cluster - same for any 2.5T.

Full details for all trims here:

Attachments

• FF9A358F-946D-4C62-849B-22AAF6FFC490.png
    FF9A358F-946D-4C62-849B-22AAF6FFC490.png
    400.7 KB · Views: 20

FLtime

Registered Member
Polk County Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Nappa grade leather is tanned to net a softer, smoother finish and is full grain. Mesh inserts comes with regular leather. DA II has listed indivdual items (see chart).

Check out the following chart / attachments View attachment 38032

All trims share the Standard base except as noted.

View attachment 38033
This charts items shared between 2.5t vs 3.5t.
Highlighted items are unique to that trim level.

View attachment 38034
This is very helpful, thanks! So it looks like the lowest trim that has Highway Driving Assist II is the 2.5T Sport Prestige.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Not sure if worth it but if that was stretching the budget I'd be looking at a Palisade with some of those features for $45k.

FLtime

Registered Member
Polk County Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
After looking over each trim level and features, I really feel like Hyundai missed the mark......

- I very much want to get the Havana Brown interior, but that's only available in the two lowest trims! IMHO - nothing beats a nice brown/saddle colored Nappa interior. But it's not available! :-(

- Why would anyone buy the 2.5T Sport Prestige, when the 3.5T is $150 cheaper?

- It's a bummer that you can't get Nappa leather until you spend almost $60K on the 3.5T sport advanced. (but yet, I can get Nappa on a $40K Santa Fe!)

- Also a bummer that you don't get the suede headliner until 3.5T sport advanced.

- Heads up display is only in the top $62,500 model. (but I wouldn't want the suede seats on this model) (and again, you can get HUD on a $40K Santa Fe)

- 12.3" Digital Cluster is also only in the top trim.

As @EdP points out, some of these features are offered down-market in the Palisade and Santa Fe. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

With the way certain options are restricted, it has me looking more seriously at the Calligraphy Santa Fe. 😔

Last edited:

Etex

Registered Member
3.5t Standard is Not $150 cheaper and is the exact reason I created the chart. To make a fair comparison you have to look closely at what is Not included in the 3.5t Standard. For the 2.5t Prestige you would have to subtract the value of all the items not included in the base 3.5t. Or add them to the price of the 3.5t (which gets you close to the 3.5t Advanced. I did the math and it came out to $ thousands more for stepping up to the V6 + Mono bloc brakes + Electronic controlled suspension w/ road preview.

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
3.5t Standard is Not $150 cheaper and is the exact reason I created the chart. To make a fair comparison you have to look closely at what is Not included in the 3.5t Standard. For the 2.5t Prestige you would have to subtract the value of all the items not included in the base 3.5t. Or add them to the price of the 3.5t (which gets you close to the 3.5t Advanced. I did the math and it came out to $ thousands more for stepping up to the V6 + Mono bloc brakes + Electronic controlled suspension w/ road preview.
And the eLSD rear end..

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

FLtime

Registered Member
Polk County Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Good point. Thanks again for the chart. It helps a ton.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I did a chart as well and for me it came down to a fully loaded 3.5T or fully loaded 2.5T and difference was around $10,000. Is buying a 3.5T for $10k more worth getting things like 3D display, HUD, eLSD, suede headliner etc?

Not to mention most likely highly insurance cost, higher registration fee and less gas mileage all adds up over time.

So for me the extra $10K isn't worth it. The 2.5T meets 95% of what I want. I'll use the extra $10k for a nice vacation.

cruskal

Registered Member
Did anyone test drive 2.5 and 3.5? It will be interesting to know the comparison. We're mostly looking at features here, but I haven't read anything about how 2.5 drives in comparison.

And Seating is Leather with mesh inserts in 2.5 Prestige, someone mentioned that that looks cheap in person.

orion007

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The fact that you need a 3rd party chart to even understand the options tells you how badly Genesis missed the mark on options. The fact that you have convenience features ties to an engine choice that is asinine.

It’s also been mentioned in many other threads that the GV70 is anywhere from 3-8k over priced. I think this will be reflected in the market maybe not now because of the chip shortage but fairly soon I think discounts will need to be offered on these compared to other models available including some offered by Hyundai and Kia that are perhaps a better value for the money.

galodoido

Did anyone test drive 2.5 and 3.5? It will be interesting to know the comparison. We're mostly looking at features here, but I haven't read anything about how 2.5 drives in comparison.

And Seating is Leather with mesh inserts in 2.5 Prestige, someone mentioned that that looks cheap in person.
what's up with that, genesis. mesh inserts looks cheap and I hate the suede inserts on the highest trim as well. It sucks I don't want to give up on HUD. Only if they offered it in other trims as optional, but yeah they don't.

cruskal

Registered Member
what's up with that, genesis. mesh inserts looks cheap and I hate the suede inserts on the highest trim as well. It sucks I don't want to give up on HUD. Only if they offered it in other trims as optional, but yeah they don't.
I think the only way you could get HUD without suede inserts is with a Beige interior.

Billbert

Hasn't posted much yet...
After looking over each trim level and features, I really feel like Hyundai missed the mark......

- I very much want to get the Havana Brown interior, but that's only available in the two lowest trims! IMHO - nothing beats a nice brown/saddle colored Nappa interior. But it's not available! :-(

- Why would anyone buy the 2.5T Sport Prestige, when the 3.5T is $150 cheaper?

- It's a bummer that you can't get Nappa leather until you spend almost $60K on the 3.5T sport advanced. (but yet, I can get Nappa on a $40K Santa Fe!)

- Also a bummer that you don't get the suede headliner until 3.5T sport advanced.

- Heads up display is only in the top $62,500 model. (but I wouldn't want the suede seats on this model) (and again, you can get HUD on a $40K Santa Fe)

- 12.3" Digital Cluster is also only in the top trim.

As @EdP points out, some of these features are offered down-market in the Palisade and Santa Fe. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

With the way certain options are restricted, it has me looking more seriously at the Calligraphy Santa Fe. 😔
Count me among those that are disappointed in Genesis' optioning of the GV70. HUD, and beige or gray leather interior + heated steering wheel on the 2.5 platform were must have for us. We went to the dealer with the intention of getting in the queue for a 2.5 and wound up buying a Santa Fe Calligraphy. It had everything we wanted and more for $42K. It shares the 2.5 motor with the GV70 although it is rated at less hp than the Genesis. I'm guessing that's due to the premium grade fuel requirement for GV70 which allows them to tweak the boost a bit. Torque specs are the same for both motors.

I'll wait for Genesis to make the market corrections to their first attempt at optioning and try again then.

Etex

Registered Member
Mesh inserts, looks nice, comfortable & is probably more practical to cleanups.

Screenshot_20210719-092354.jpg
Screenshot_20210719-092354.jpg

Last edited:

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I saw the mesh in person and thought they looked pretty good. I do agree with others commenting on the spread between the stripped base and the fully loaded but then again they did the same thing with the GV80 and that seems to be working. Most are opting for higher trim levels in that vehicle. It must be a Hyundai group thing. They offered the stripped down Stinger with a smaller 4 banger thinking they would sell a lot of those but the take rate was way higher for the loaded 3.3 GT versions.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners