Connected Services going away in December 2022

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I see a class action lawsuit in the making!
I can see that, especially since two things were in place before our cars were made 1) 4G technology, and 2) the FCC announcement of the end of 3G.

In other words, Genesis put this technology into the cars knowing it would expire long before the car did - and then touted these features to sell more cars.

I guess in some ways we're lucky that Genesis uses Verizon cellular. They are the last of the major carriers to shut down 3G.

Per Verizon -

"Since 2016, we have stated publicly that we are actively decommissioning our 3G CDMA network. Initially, we announced we would close down our 3G network in 2019. However, we extended our shut off date - first to the end of 2020 and now to the end of 2022 - in order to care for our customers and give them every effort to minimize disruptions to their service as they move to newer and more advanced technologies."

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This article contains a partial list of cars that are affected by the 3G shutdown. We are in good company.

Apparently the manufacturer could make an add-on that could plug into the obd port.

Scroll down about 2/3s the way -

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This list from Consumer Reports is a more complete list, and includes Genesis.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Let’s hope our 2020 Genesis cars are not affected. I’ve looked at my set-up for the modem on my display with all the electronic cell serial numbers showing but nothing identifying for 3G or 4G connectivity shows. I’m betting a cell phone company tech person could probably tell how we are connecting to the cell network by those numbers.

MrRich4

Registered Member
Wisconsin
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Let’s hope our 2020 Genesis cars are not affected. I’ve looked at my set-up for the modem on my display with all the electronic cell serial numbers showing but nothing identifying for 3G or 4G connectivity shows. I’m betting a cell phone company tech person could probably tell how we are connecting to the cell network by those numbers.
I think Tinsley's article states 17-19 model years. So you should be good.

Last edited:
Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The more I think about this, the more bummed I get. I mean, will the navigation even work? It phones home to get the routes so how will that work?

This will also devaluate the car when I sell it. I'm sure someone will ask about the connected electronics and I'll have to tell them none of it works.

My 2019 multimedia manual does show 4G, and I did not get the email - so I'm still hoping I'm not affected.

My first 3 years are up in November this year, just before the disconnect. So I guess I should feel lucky that I got my first 3 years out of it.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So I don't know for sure, but this looks like good news. My 2019 8" screen G80 was built in February 2019.

First of all, I did not get an expiration notification from Genesis about my radio.

Try this - go to Setup, and then touch Connected Services. Next choose Modem Status. When I do that, I see LTE on the screen. From what I understand, LTE is 4G - so maybe I'm okay? If so, I hope other 2019s are good as well.

20220115_145402.jpg

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So I don't know for sure, but this looks like good news. My 2019 8" screen G80 was built in February 2019.

First of all, I did not get an expiration notification from Genesis about my radio.

Try this - go to Setup, and then touch Connected Services. Next choose Modem Status. When I do that, I see LTE on the screen. From what I understand, LTE is 4G - so maybe I'm okay? If so, I hope other 2019s are good as well.

View attachment 42745
According to Mr. Google:
4G LTE is short for “fourth generation long-term evolution.” So it's actually two terms combined. ... And “long-term evolution,” or “LTE,” is industry jargon used to describe the particular type of 4G that delivers the fastest mobile internet experience.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The more I think about this, the more bummed I get. I mean, will the navigation even work? It phones home to get the routes so how will that work?
Yes, of course it will. It can determine the route all by itself, which is what it is already doing for people like me that did not continue that part of the Blue-Link service. It will not be able to factor traffic in, assuming that the cloud service actually was doing that.

Don88

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
Yes, of course it will. It can determine the route all by itself, which is what it is already doing for people like me that did not continue that part of the Blue-Link service. It will not be able to factor traffic in, ssuminag that the cloud service actually was doing that.
There were times when I would be following the blue route and it would change to an adjacent route to my destination due to a traffic congestion. So, I do think the Nav was aware of traffic problems.

MrRich4

Registered Member
Wisconsin
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
There were times when I would be following the blue route and it would change to an adjacent route to my destination due to a traffic congestion. So, I do think the Nav was aware of traffic problems.
I thought Navigation utilized Sirius XM Traffic for integrating traffic

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I thought Navigation utilized Sirius XM Traffic for integrating traffic
On my car, I can choose local HD radio traffic, or XM. I have them both selected because my XM plan is active.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes, of course it will. It can determine the route all by itself, which is what it is already doing for people like me that did not continue that part of the Blue-Link service. It will not be able to factor traffic in, assuming that the cloud service actually was doing that.
Okay. So that's what it's doing (phoning in) when there's a long pause after selecting the route? Based on the release notes a few updates back, the documentation stated it woud call in each time a route was selected. With no phone it can't call in, hence my question.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Okay. So that's what it's doing (phoning in) when there's a long pause after selecting the route? Based on the release notes a few updates back, the documentation stated it woud call in each time a route was selected. With no phone it can't call in, hence my question.
Yes, if you are subscribed to guidance, then it will check with a server somewhere for a better route. If you are not (I am not), or if you can't get service (no signal, no carrier, ...) then it computes the route on its own, same as it did before that update, and the same as most off-line GPS do it. I really don't think you'll notice any difference on this one item.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Curious if some of you with a 2019 can go to Settings, Connected Services, Modem Status and see if it shows LTE, or another technology.

Might be good if some 2018 and 2020 owners do this, too. It may be an accurate way to see if your car is affected.

Last edited:

pmckechnie

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Matthews, NC
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Curious if some of you with a 2019 can go to Settings, Connected Services, Modem Status and see if it shows LTE, or another technology.

Might be good if don't 2018 and 2020 owners do this, too. It may be an accurate way to see if your car is affected.
I checked my 2018 G80 Base with 15.5 map ver and Setup doesn't have a Connected Services page.
I looked at every page but couldn't find anything about LTE or G4. So, I still don't know what I have.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I checked my 2018 G80 Base with 15.5 map ver and Setup doesn't have a Connected Services page.
I looked at every page but couldn't find anything about LTE or G4. So, I still don't know what I have.
Interesting, especially since our cars are identical except for the year. Do you have Connected Services active? If not, maybe the choice is not shown.

My map version is the latest, I updated it yesterday. But Connected Services was there before I updated it. My free three years expires this November.

Below is what I see when I press the Setup button. You can see Connected Services on the bottom right.

20220116_131938.jpg

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm not certain either, I'm only assuming that I'm not impacted because that modem screen shows LTE.

Unfortunately, I believe the 2018 is in the danger zone. Some write-ups said the 2019 was as well, but I'm beginning to think it could be based on certain radios. We have the base 8 inch screen, maybe the larger screens are affected - again, assuming that seeing LTE means I'm not affected.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm not certain either, I'm only assuming that I'm not impacted because that modem screen shows LTE.

Unfortunately, I believe the 2018 is in the danger zone. Some write-ups said the 2019 was as well, but I'm beginning to think it could be based on certain radios. We have the base 8 inch screen, maybe the larger screens are affected - again, assuming that seeing LTE means I'm not affected.
Yes, the 9" screen is going out. Went through the setup and could not find anything about the modem but I did get the email.

Ultimately, we blame Genesis but the head units were made by others, including LG. They should have initiated the change. Genesis should have been watching.

led lit velossatech high performance big mouth ram air snorkels airscoops for your genesis
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners