• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Consumer Reports rates audio poor

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The latest car comparison issue of Consumer Reports now on the newsstand rates the sedan as a recommended buy, but rates the audio as poor. What the hay?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Probably based on reliability.

Vince2

Registered Member
I was asked to rate my Genesis by Consumer Reports in their annual survey. My audio has died at startup and did not reset for several hours...Hyundai kept my car for three days to check out the issue (the audio never quit while they had the car) my Hyundai sevice center was never able to duplicate the problem. This has happened four times since I've owned the vehicle (luckly a pseudo solve is available: pull the big yellow fuse from the interior driver side fuse box, thanks forum). So how should I rate the Audio? I rated it as problematic..isn't it? Neither of the Hyundai centers I use for service were even aware of the issue. We really enjoy our cars but there are issues and to date Hyundai hasn't handled this issue well. So as far as reliability the audio is poor.

PMCErnie

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
I have to agree with Vince. Those frozen Nav screens are bothersome with no fix in sight.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Just read a couple articles, one from Nov 2012 and the Genesis V8 sedan is on the upscale "best list" for definitely would buy again.

Upscale cars
Make & model Definitely buy again
Dodge Charger (V8)* 88%
Chrysler 300 (V8)* 84
Chrysler 300 (V6)* 81
Lexus ES 81
Dodge Charger (V6)* 80
Hyundai Genesis Sedan (V8) 80
Buick LaCrosse (V6) 65
Buick LaCrosse (4-cyl., eAssist)* 63
Buick Regal (non-turbo)* 57
* = under 3 years of ratings

Yes under the general survey responses, in the RELIABILITY section the audio is rated poor for 09-12 and power equipment in the 09 and 10 are rated poor, and as an 09 owner I would agree with both.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Let's be honest with ourselves guys; a boatload of us have had our head units replaced. With all that smoke there's gotta be a fire in there somewhere.

jaboyd

Getting familiar with the group...
I believe that CR lumps all of the nav, radio, cd, etc functions that are displayed on the screen as "the audio system". There have been many complaints and issues on the headunit ranging from annoying to catastrophic so it makes sense that teh Gensis rates low. Look at Ford and all of their problems with their new nav system.

crhbobby

Been here awhile...
Indiana
I have a 2009 Genesis with Tech. The audio system did not have a problem until after the 36K mile mark. I currently have 70K.

The "no audio" condition occured about once a month for a while, and now has been occuring about every 2 weeks. Usually I go to turn the car on, and there is no audio. The other day I was listening to a DVD-audio at moderate volume...and when I went to change sources...the no audio condition occured.

I usually pull the audio fuse and the problem goes away. Has anyone had the problem not go away? I want to keep this car...but the frequency of the audio problem is increasing. They have had If I think the audio system is going to have a "permanent" no sound condition - I need to get rid of this car. I do not intend to buy a head unit or amplifier.

I asked my dealer at one time, and they said they have never heard of this problem. I feel like we owners need to pressure Hyundai to get a solution to this problem. I do not want to spend 3K+ for this problem.

Anyone have the audio never come back on?

Take care,

Bob

Ram Air

Registered Member
I have a 2012 R-Spec. The audio has gone out completely, twice, just recently. No disc, I-Pod, radio, voice commands..... nothing! The screen shows that everything is on but there is a slash through the speaker icon. Is there a mute button I don't know about? When I restart the car everything is okay.
It's going in tomorrow

kman

Registered Member
I have to agree with Vince. Those frozen Nav screens are bothersome with no fix in sight.
Mine was fixed through a software update. Got it at the same time I was doing the transmission lag update after I mentioned the problem to the dealer. Have not had the screen freeze even once since that, and it would happen about twice a month before.

PMCErnie

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Mine was fixed through a software update. Got it at the same time I was doing the transmission lag update after I mentioned the problem to the dealer. Have not had the screen freeze even once since that, and it would happen about twice a month before.
Would you kindly tell us the details of the fix as written on your invoice? Now that might be helpful.

Vince2

Registered Member
Ram Air many owners of the Genesis (Equus too) have had this happen. I've had it happen about five times over three plus years of ownership (2 vehicles). There is apparently a software fix (addressed, however, to pre 2012 vehicles) that is said, by some here on the forum, to fix the issue. If you ask for and explain to your dealer about (even though you shouldn't have to explain) a software fix addendum that includes the 2012 maybe you can have this fix applied. In the meantime if you pull a large yellow fuse found in the fuse box located inside the car on the drivers side you can reset the system and have the audio return. There are details of this in the Equus portion of the forum. Very Tacky but it is what it is.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums