• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Consumer Reports rates Genesis 3.8 highly

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Saw the latest issue of CR in Barnes and Noble today. They did a comparison of the new Cadillac XTS vs the very new Lincoln MKS. Both were rated low and not recommended. Here are their scores vs other luxury boxes too:

Lincoln MKS: 60
Cadillac XTS: 79
BMW 535i: 81
Eqqus Signature: 82
Chrysler 300 LTD: 83
Lexus GS 350: 84
Merc Benz E 350 86
Genesis 3.8: 92 :)
Infinity M37: 93
Audi A6 3.0 Premium Plus Quatro: 93

All but the Lincoln and Cadillac were recommended buys.

LA Genesis

Registered Member
Los Angeles, CA.
I was hoping the American cars would finally be able to get favorable reviews and compete with the best. My last two cars have been foreign (Infiniti and Genesis) but I always prefer to buy American. The Cadillac CTS gets good reviews but the design is dated. I believe Ford products are good overall. Let's hope U.S. manufacturers get their act together soon.

Thanks for posting this PMCErnie.

Southern Boy

Registered Member
I’ve been screwed, blued and tattooed so many times by GM that I wouldn’t have one of their vehicle if I somehow got it free. If I did would trade it for an Asian or European manufacturer.

Many Asian and European vehicles are manufactured in America by American workers, who make the same money, but the quality of the vehicles and warrantees are head and shoulders above what GM and Chrysler offer.

Almost all automobile manufactures make most of their vehicles offshore. An example is GM, 75% of their vehicles are now manufactured offshore. The only vehicles they make in the good old USA are vehicles with high profit margins, but even that is coming to an end. Listen to what the CEO of GM told the Chinese when attending a new GM plant opening in China.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r19LxtnzCIQ"]General Motors Has Become China Motors - YouTube[/ame]

Chrysler is 60% owned by Fiat, an Italian manufacturer, so where is the buy American anymore? Chrysler depreciates to fast to warrant a high price of purchase IMPO.

These are some of the reasons why I look to Asian and European manufacturers.

car nut56

Hasn't posted much yet...
I had been rooting for Lincoln to do well too.
I worked for Ford and Lincoln dealers years ago and also would
love to see a Lincoln that could compete with other luxury cars. Sadly, all
Ford is committed to do is rebadge various Ford models as "Lincolns," and
spend very heavily on a new advertising campaign. IMHO, the Hyundai
Genesis is the car a modern Lincoln should be. Hyundai spent the
money to build a new rear drive chassis and set of engines specifically for
the luxury car market, and the result is an automobile that competes well
with other American, Asian, and European cars in its class, while offering
great value for the money. If Ford followed this path, I would consider
buying a Lincoln again. I had a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC which had some
of the ingredients I want in a luxury car, but lacked really good quality or
much ride and handling refinement. But it was still more of a unique
luxury car than the MKZ and MKS of today. I prefer my Genesis to
anything that Ford is making at present and it is also much better
than my old Lincoln.

grsams

Getting familiar with the group...
^ Agreed. If my new car would have been in the eval, Genesis would def not had high marks and would have not been on the buy list. Really beginning to think (as I once did) that Hyundai is junk. I though that maybe they had changed from their old rep, but I think I could be wrong.

Vince2

Registered Member
Well for me (DESPITE several frustrating issues - solved at last) its still a solid, good looking car that I fully expect to drive for years. I too might have joined in the chorus of doubters while dealing with several issues but as I drove the car to work this morning I'm again a proud Genesis owner and promoter.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
It is sad that U S companies still have reliability issues. Ford is better than in the past. As an example I purchased a beautiful new 1986 fully loaded (heated windshield and all) black Mercury Sable LS. In 60k miles the heated windshield failed, heater hoses failed, fuel tank failed, body side molding fell off many times, nearly every light burned out, cruise control failed, tie rod ends replaced, shocks leaked and then replaced, hood metal was so thin that it had dents in it from just closing it. Climate control failed numerous times, Alternator replaced, power seat quit, engine belt pulley replaced then last the transmission stopped working which was under warranty, what a POS. I then purchased a 1989 Mazda 929(great car).

Last edited:

Taxman

Getting familiar with the group...
The last American Luxo car I owned was a 2000 Eldorado. It was great until about 40,000 miles. Then it self destructed! A/C compressor, two batteries, power locks, climate control, and several more things I can't remember. I owned it 6 yrs and put 48,000 miles on it. That's when extended warranty was up. Went to Lexus GS after the Caddy. I'd be first in line for another full size american coupe with RWD for around $50K.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Almost all automobile manufactures make most of their vehicles offshore. An example is GM, 75% of their vehicles are now manufactured offshore. The only vehicles they make in the good old USA are vehicles with high profit margins, but even that is coming to an end. Listen to what the CEO of GM told the Chinese when attending a new GM plant opening in China.
That's only b/c GM is the leading seller in China and one has to build in China to sell due to the high tariffs.

And GM not only builds a compact (the Cruze) in the US, they even build a subcompact (the Sonic) in the States (the only domestic automaker to do so - Ford builds the Fiesta in Mexico); due to concessions given up by the UAW, GM can now build a subcompact profitably in the US.

The ATS and CTS are widely considered to be the best handling sedans in their respective segment (the problems w/ the ATS are a too tight rear, the CUE system and certain not up to date powertrains) and the Omega flagship should be even better overall.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums