• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Continentals to the belts!

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Went to have an oil change in my 2015 5.0 and was asked to step back to the work area lift. There I was shocked to see my back tires. I bought the car CPO about 14 months ago and have put a little less than 16,000 miles on it. The tires are the OEM Continentals and truly looked new at the time of purchase. Today the front still look great with very little wear and that is even. The backs were getting close to the tread bars, but I was hoping to make it to summer. Not gonna happen. Up on the lift I could see the tires were starting to show the belts on the inside, the right side was the worst.
Called Discount Tire and have two Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus 275/35-19's waiting on me. I expected staggered tires to have less tread wear since they can't truly be rotated, but 16K on the rears and I drive conservatively? Didn't see that coming. Oh well, at least I won't go Continental again. Will get it aligned at Christian Brothers too.

GennyBenny

Registered Member
Lubbock, TX
Genesis Model Type
Could be an alignment issue. Did the tread on the outside of the tire look okay or was the whole thing shot? IIRC the Genesis has camber and toe adjustments on the rear. Also keep in mind that the rear tires will wear quicker than the fronts, it's typical for staggered RWD platforms with somewhat aggressive camber.

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Appreciate all the replies. I'm sure an alignment is good insurance, but the wear was "somewhat" even across the bead, although a bit more pronounced on the inside. Take into consideration that this specific tire has that strange arch in the center of the tread. look like you need to add another 30 psi to make it flatten out!

I've already been warned that the tire warranties (mileage) are reduced by 50% on staggered setups. I guess the lack of rotation is a factor but I swear all cars that I've owned with same size tires all-around have always worn more in the front than back, regardless of RWD, FWD, or 4WD.

Oh well, wanted Michelins on it anyway. Just hate to do it halfway, but those Continentals in the front ain't showing any need for replacement yet.

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Went to have an oil change in my 2015 5.0 and was asked to step back to the work area lift. There I was shocked to see my back tires. I bought the car CPO about 14 months ago and have put a little less than 16,000 miles on it. The tires are the OEM Continentals and truly looked new at the time of purchase. Today the front still look great with very little wear and that is even. The backs were getting close to the tread bars, but I was hoping to make it to summer. Not gonna happen. Up on the lift I could see the tires were starting to show the belts on the inside, the right side was the worst.
Called Discount Tire and have two Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus 275/35-19's waiting on me. I expected staggered tires to have less tread wear since they can't truly be rotated, but 16K on the rears and I drive conservatively? Didn't see that coming. Oh well, at least I won't go Continental again. Will get it aligned at Christian Brothers too.
Are you in Memphis?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Treadlife warranty on the factory Continentals is 40k miles, which is cut in half to 20k because of the staggered fitment. We typically see the rears needing replaced between 20-25k miles. The fronts, 25-30k. So if you bought it CPO, it already had some miles on them, so you got the average life out of them.

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
CPO car and I doubt there was a legitimate tire warranty anyway. I’m in Lake Norman area of NC. General consensus was I likely got a “good” tread life out of the OEMs. Gonna have it aligned though. Here they are, the right one showed the belts.

Attachments

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
These cars seem to have quite a bit of negative camber in the front - wear on my front tires appear to be mainly concentrated on the inside...

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Well, the alignment did not show any HUGE issues, only a bit of toe adjustment needed on the right side. Never had less than 32psi or more than 37psi on that right rear.
I’m just concluding those Continentals are to be avoided.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

JerryK73

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Its typical for the rear tires to wear out more quickly then the front tires in a staggered set up. In my M3 it used to be 2 sets of rears to 1 set of front tires.

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Its typical for the rear tires to wear out more quickly then the front tires in a staggered set up. In my M3 it used to be 2 sets of rears to 1 set of front tires.
I’m hearing that more and more. Guess it’s the nature of the beast.

ddoz23

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Wow

adamg

Hasn't posted much yet...
Saskatoon, Canada
Genesis Model Type
I still have the record on tire wear. Wore my new Bridgestone Serenity rears down to the exposed steel belting in 6000km. Costco was nice enough to give me warranty replacement, and I went for a wheel alignment post haste.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums