Control Knob stopped working

cbdream99

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have the V6 Tech pkg, yesterday I was trying to enter an entry in the phone book but somehow I can't complete it after I added the name. Then now I can only page up and page down with the control knob. If I turn the knob in either direction, it doesn't do anything, so I cannot access all the menu items. I took it to the dealer and they say it won't take the software update and have to replace the control knob unit. Worse, it takes 4 weeks for the part to arrive...

Anyone seen this before? I am afraid the whole unit has to be replaced..:(

bilmat

Getting familiar with the group...
Fremont, CA
Re: Control Knob stop working

I'd raise a stink about the four week waiting period. It shouldn't take a Hyundai dealer that long to get any part for their flagship model, even if the part had to come from South Korea. I suggest going over the head of the service manager and expressing your displeasure to the area rep, or whoever is next up the ladder. Couldn't hurt!

dataguy

Been here awhile...

I agree. That's like the parts have to be shipped the wrong way around on a slow boat from Ulsan.

I'm not sure why the control knob unit has anything to do with not taking a software update (unless maybe they can't go through the service menu with the controls inop), or why they think a software update will fix the problem. <puzzled>

Seattle Genesis

Registered Member

I have the V6 Tech pkg, yesterday I was trying to enter an entry in the phone book but somehow I can't complete it after I added the name. Then now I can only page up and page down with the control knob. If I turn the knob in either direction, it doesn't do anything, so I cannot access all the menu items. I took it to the dealer and they say it won't take the software update and have to replace the control knob unit. Worse, it takes 4 weeks for the part to arrive...

Anyone seen this before? I am afraid the whole unit has to be replaced..:(

Is the dealer aware of priority shipping, overnight delivery ? Thats not a good response from your dealer. Id find another one.

cbdream99

Hasn't posted much yet...

Yes, its ridiculous. I also talked to the Hyundai Customer Service. The part is on back order (apparently I am not the only one having problems). There are other people ahead of me, next shipment is going to be in September which is why 4 weeks away.. I am really concerned about this, the dealer seems to be clueless. First the service advisor tried to reset the memory fuse which doesn't help then a tech came out and asked me for the owner's manual, he tried to touch the screen , using the up/down volume buttons on the steeling wheel... then I asked him about the software updates and he said.. oh . yeah... hmm! Just hope the module can solve the problem.

ShoNuff

Registered Member
Atlanta

Yes, its ridiculous. I also talked to the Hyundai Customer Service. The part is on back order (apparently I am not the only one having problems). There are other people ahead of me, next shipment is going to be in September which is why 4 weeks away.. I am really concerned about this, the dealer seems to be clueless. First the service advisor tried to reset the memory fuse which doesn't help then a tech came out and asked me for the owner's manual, he tried to touch the screen , using the up/down volume buttons on the steeling wheel... then I asked him about the software updates and he said.. oh . yeah... hmm! Just hope the module can solve the problem.

Dude, that's just scary - you really do need to get your car serviced at another dealership from now on. I know service advisors shouldn't be expected to know as much as a Gennie tech, but that level of cluelessness is appalling. :eek:

mrgenesis2009

Getting familiar with the group...
Orlando, FL
The same thing happened to me tonight. I was scrolling through stations and it stopped working. I can't scroll on any menu now. I posted a question about this before I saw this. I tried to search but nothing came up so I posted. Anyway, even before I found this I was already thinking the usual crap about dealerships. They'll have me come down to tell me that they'll have to order something and it'll take some time. I suspect that is exactly what will happen tomorrow, but I will post my experience. I already had another service issue with a defective tire. The car only has 1200 miles on it. I'm a little disappointed. I also have a slight rattle somewhere in my dash. This car should not have any rattles for a long time.

G-929499

My knob just stopped working tonight. Was spinning through some music and it just stopped responding. I guess we're goin to the dealer!
I just purchase a use Genesis and I have the same problem and was trying to get a used one

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums