• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Coolant smell

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I bought a 2019 G70 3.3T Design a couple of months ago. I now have 3100 miles on it, and have noticed that distinctive sweet smell of coolant outside the car when it's up to temp ever since I bought it. You can't smell it in the cabin. I see this has been a pretty common complaint on the Stinger forums, and some older G90 forums. I have yet to read of anyone getting to the bottom of it. Is anyone else experiencing this? The car runs fine, and the engine temp is normal. I have not seen any signs of a leak, and the overflow reservoir is right at the max line (which is well below the top, so not anywhere near overflowing). I'm waiting on an answer from service as to whether I should bring it in before the upcoming oil change. I worry that there's a crack somewhere.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Perhaps factory stuff is just burning off? Is it getting worse?...or slowly less and less?
I don't think so. I'm familiar with that, but this is definitely a coolant smell. It seems just as bad as ever. I would expect with 3100 miles I shouldn't be smelling anything. A couple of the Stinger owners ended up finding cracked thermostat housings, and one guy had a cracked radiator. Of course it's under warranty, but things like that have a bad habit of going bad very quickly at inopportune times.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The problem in the older V8 G90 is bad o-rings and there is a TSB on it. Highly unlikely that will be an issue with the G70 or any model currently being produced.

If all coolant levels are normal then I would think that rules out a leak but you may want to have the dealer look at it to make sure. If you can report back one way or the other that would be great.
Yes, I read that too, and figured it wouldn't apply (or they would have addressed it). I'll be sure to let you know of any findings.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hmmm... The other day I swore I almost smelled some coolant just after getting out of my car, but I figured it was another car (was in a parking lot). My car currently has about 500 miles on it so far. I'm gonna keep tabs on this. If I do smell coolant I'll report back.

MRJONG

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is coolant smell similar to burnt clutch smell? Sometimes I'll get out of the car and get a whiff of something that smells like burnt clutch even when not driving really aggressive, I drive a 2.0 Elite so it is automatic.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is coolant smell similar to burnt clutch smell? Sometimes I'll get out of the car and get a whiff of something that smells like burnt clutch even when not driving really aggressive, I drive a 2.0 Elite so it is automatic.
No, burnt clutch and burnt brakes have a very different, acrid smell. Coolant has a sweet smell. And I noticed that the factory washer fluid has a strong smell of alcohol that you smell in the cabin every time you use the washers. Never noticed it in any other car. I think it's because their fluid is a different formulation.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Husky - I went for a spirited drive yesterday, and when I pulled into my garage and got out I sniffed around for a bit... No coolant smell whatsoever on my car. I did smell the brakes, though! (You could feel the heat coming from them, too).

Mine is a 3.3 AWD Sport, about 590 miles on it so far.

Have you had a chance to take a peek under the hood, or under the car when you smell it? I would say put a cardboard sheet underneath it where you park, but I think the bottom cover would probably catch any drips anyway...

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Husky - I went for a spirited drive yesterday, and when I pulled into my garage and got out I sniffed around for a bit... No coolant smell whatsoever on my car. I did smell the brakes, though! (You could feel the heat coming from them, too).

Mine is a 3.3 AWD Sport, about 590 miles on it so far.

Have you had a chance to take a peek under the hood, or under the car when you smell it? I would say put a cardboard sheet underneath it where you park, but I think the bottom cover would probably catch any drips anyway...
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have had a look under the hood, and on the floor, but as you say, the bottom cover would pretty much catch any drip and hide it. I will say that tonight when I got out of the car in the garage, I didn't smell it. I'll have to see if it returns. I have told dealer about it and have asked them to have a look when I take it in soon for my first oil change. I'll report if they find anything.

Absintheuphoria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No, burnt clutch and burnt brakes have a very different, acrid smell. Coolant has a sweet smell. And I noticed that the factory washer fluid has a strong smell of alcohol that you smell in the cabin every time you use the washers. Never noticed it in any other car. I think it's because their fluid is a different formulation.
This. This I keep noticing and has been a minor irritation and something I've never noticed with the dozens of other Hyundai/Genesis cars I've driven. Even if I have the air off the auto-cabin fresh air thing will kick on and push it in.

clark1566

Registered Member
Savannah, Ga.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am not sure if this is related, but I had the same issue on my 2016 Sonata. I had the 2.0t engine in it and had a strong coolant smell after driving it. Turned out to be a hose clamp. Hyundai uses spring type hose clamps and over time they lose tension. I had one completely lose tension and the hose came loose and leaked coolant. Replaced the clamp and the smell went away. These engines may be different but it might be something to keep an eye on.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am not sure if this is related, but I had the same issue on my 2016 Sonata. I had the 2.0t engine in it and had a strong coolant smell after driving it. Turned out to be a hose clamp. Hyundai uses spring type hose clamps and over time they lose tension. I had one completely lose tension and the hose came loose and leaked coolant. Replaced the clamp and the smell went away. These engines may be different but it might be something to keep an eye on.
Thanks for the info - good to know. It might indeed be a loose clamp. I'll see if the dealer finds anything.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the info - good to know. It might indeed be a loose clamp. I'll see if the dealer finds anything.

When is your next service due?

I noticed a whiff of a coolant smell yesterday after driving. It's weird. Definitely a coolant smell, though. I only got a small smell of it right when I opened my door to get out, but then couldn't smell it at all after that, even when poking around under the hood. This is weird... Hmm.. That said, you're definitely not the only person having this issue now!

I'm gonna be changing my oil pretty soon, I'll be able to take a closer look from underneath while doing that. Other than that, I'll be taking my car in for regular service at 5-6k miles, and I'll probably bring it up then as well.

ValueCreator2

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
When I’ve used the washer fluid I’ve noticed a very pleasant smell, like the better hand sanitizers. I’m now getting a light that my fluid is low. I’d like to get the original fluid to replace it. Anyone know what brand washer fluid they use? Do they sell washer fluid?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
When I’ve used the washer fluid I’ve noticed a very pleasant smell, like the better hand sanitizers. I’m now getting a light that my fluid is low. I’d like to get the original fluid to replace it. Anyone know what brand washer fluid they use? Do they sell washer fluid?
Genesis will top it off for free. Genesis uses similar stuff as Audi does...alcohol based...actually cleans your windshield.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just had it serviced last week and asked them to check for leaks, etc... They didn't find anything but I still smell it, especially after "spirited" driving. Very puzzling. They said some nonsense about sometimes you may smell the exhaust because of premium. 🤣🤣🤣
Pfff.... They're dumb.

I've been sniffing around my car again and again after driving it, and only occasionally I'll get a whiff of sweet, coolant-like smell. With the hood open, it actually kinda smells like it's coming from the windshield washer reservoir. I'm wondering if it's just washer fluid I'm smelling...? When I sprayed the windshield the other day with the nozzles, it actually smelled about the same as this coolant smell I've been getting.

I wonder if that's what it actually is? All the coolant hoses and connections I see are bone dry. :unsure:

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Pfff.... They're dumb.

I've been sniffing around my car again and again after driving it, and only occasionally I'll get a whiff of sweet, coolant-like smell. With the hood open, it actually kinda smells like it's coming from the windshield washer reservoir. I'm wondering if it's just washer fluid I'm smelling...? When I sprayed the windshield the other day with the nozzles, it actually smelled about the same as this coolant smell I've been getting.

I wonder if that's what it actually is? All the coolant hoses and connections I see are bone dry. :unsure:
In my case I don't think it's that because my washer fluid (factory fill) has a strong smell of rubbing alcohol, not the sweet smell of coolant. I'll let you know if I ever get to the bottom of this.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums