• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Coolant smell

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interesting. Same thing here. Not always but sometimes I get home, drive in the garage, get out of the car and think it smells like coolant... I had a look at the coolant level and it's just above the L (low) mark, however my garage is slightly sloped. I'll check when I park at work tomorrow as it's flat.

Last edited:

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Okay, I checked the coolant level at work this morning and it was at the Full mark in the over flow reservoir. I checked again when I left work and it was at the Low mark. Seems this would make sense as the coolant level would be higher in the overflow when hot.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Okay, I checked the coolant level at work this morning and it was at the Full mark in the over flow reservoir. I checked again when I left work and it was at the Low mark. Seems this would make sense as the coolant level would be higher in the overflow when hot.
I'm really beginning to think that we aren't leaking coolant...but at the same time, it REALLY does smell like coolant. I don't know about you guys, but I usually only get a single whiff of it immediately after getting out of my car after driving, but generally nothing after that. Even then, it only happens occasionally.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm really beginning to think that we aren't leaking coolant...but at the same time, it REALLY does smell like coolant. I don't know about you guys, but I usually only get a single whiff of it immediately after getting out of my car after driving, but generally nothing after that. Even then, it only happens occasionally.
Agreed. I've got over 6,000 miles now and I haven't noticed the smell in a while. Curious.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've noticed this coolant smell every once in a while as well. It's something that I will definitely monitor over time to see if it's an issue to be concerned about or not.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I figured out that I get a strong smell of coolant in the cabin when I have the A/C on and make a sharp right turn. I don't see a leak at the bottom and wonder if it's some coating as mentioned above.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Now that our temps here have gotten into the high 80's, so the air is on and things are considerably hotter under the hood, I've noticed the coolant smell again outside the cabin, although not as strong as before. I've never had it in the cabin.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Now that our temps here have gotten into the high 80's, so the air is on and things are considerably hotter under the hood, I've noticed the coolant smell again outside the cabin, although not as strong as before. I've never had it in the cabin.
Hmm... I haven't put two and two together, evidently. I noticed a coolant smell today when getting out of my car, and I was driving with the AC on for a bit. So weird. :unsure:

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'll be having my windshield replaced at Calgary Genesis North on Tuesday and I'll be having them check for this odd coolant smell issue. The service adviser figured it was related to the A/C system working which I just can't wrap my brain around given the distinct anti-freeze like smell that I'm smelling after shutting the car off.

Pepper

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have noticed the coolant smell after driving. I have 2600 miles and have noticed coolant smell since purchase. Has anyone found a resolution?

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have noticed the coolant smell after driving. I have 2600 miles and have noticed coolant smell since purchase. Has anyone found a resolution?
I've got almost 9000 miles on mine and I still smell it sometime. Very curious. I hope we eventually figure out why. I've owned many cars and this is the only one that has this smell - unless there was an actual leak that was obvious.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I smelled a coolant smell in mine just yesterday after I got home. Unsure where it's coming from, as when I'm sniffing around the engine bay I can't determine the source. I usually get a little whiff of it right after I open the door, but when I pop the hood I don't really smell it, even with the engine running.

I have been keeping an eye on the coolant levels, doesn't look like I'm losing anything.

I'm beginning to assume it is coming from the coolant reservoir, perhaps it's venting some fumes when things get particularly hot with hard driving? *Shrug*

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I smelled a coolant smell in mine just yesterday after I got home. Unsure where it's coming from, as when I'm sniffing around the engine bay I can't determine the source. I usually get a little whiff of it right after I open the door, but when I pop the hood I don't really smell it, even with the engine running.

I have been keeping an eye on the coolant levels, doesn't look like I'm losing anything.

I'm beginning to assume it is coming from the coolant reservoir, perhaps it's venting some fumes when things get particularly hot with hard driving? *Shrug*
That would do it. When you shut off, the coolant is no longer flowing but under pressure. That coolant in the block is now soaking all the heat out of the block, but no longer being cooled at the radiator end of the system, and it's a closed system so that thermal energy has to go somewhere. The block heat will boil off a little more coolant as temps equalize, causing some additional pressure, which will cause coolant flow into the reservoir (which is why you have to measure it's level when hot). When things cool off, it sucks that coolant back in. What you are smelling is the steam (coolant saturated hot air) in the reservoir escaping to make room for the hot liquid coolant.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That would do it. When you shut off, the coolant is no longer flowing but under pressure. That coolant in the block is now soaking all the heat out of the block, but no longer being cooled at the radiator end of the system, and it's a closed system so that thermal energy has to go somewhere. The block heat will boil off a little more coolant as temps equalize, causing some additional pressure, which will cause coolant flow into the reservoir (which is why you have to measure it's level when hot). When things cool off, it sucks that coolant back in. What you are smelling is the steam (coolant saturated hot air) in the reservoir escaping to make room for the hot liquid coolant.
I like the explanation, but what is different about this car? I have never owned another car that gave off this smell, which is why I thought for sure there was a leak, but finally accepted it as normal for the G70 (and Stinger).

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I like the explanation, but what is different about this car? I have never owned another car that gave off this smell, which is why I thought for sure there was a leak, but finally accepted it as normal for the G70 (and Stinger).
Maybe it because of the the 2 hot air screws on each manifold that make more heat.
it’s weird that Genesis doesn’t have a cool down pump that circulates coolant through the turbos for a while (my Mini JCW did).

Pepper

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What is the explanation for smelling the coolant while the car is still running and stopped at the red light?

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
What is the explanation for smelling the coolant while the car is still running and stopped at the red light?
The same. In some circles of racing, using higher pressure rated radiator caps are necessary. It's just a spring that regulates it. I wonder what stock on this motor is...

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I went out for a nice drive last night and noticed a slight coolant smell as well once I parked in the garage. Saw no signs of a leak anywhere. Not too worried at this point but damn this car gets really hot!

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I went out for a nice drive last night and noticed a slight coolant smell as well once I parked in the garage. Saw no signs of a leak anywhere. Not too worried at this point but damn this car gets really hot!
I have an insulated garage and it was like a boiler in there during August even at night after turning the car off for 6 hours. This car runs really hot... On the flip side it'll help with my heating bills during winter.

I'm at 6500 miles and the coolant smell isn't as noticeable now that I don't use the AC. Could also be the cooler weather.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums