Correct Engine Oil for 2020 g70 2.0T

Don in Texas

Magnolia Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Firestone said they would only use 0W-30 ACEA C2 or above for an oil change, the dealer regular 5w-30 is OK and they have an oil change special for $44.95! After carefully reading the manual it appears that ACEA C2 or above is required. The only oil to meet that spec appears to be Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. I would appreciate any comments in regard to this with any recommendation of oil that meets the Genesis specification. Also due to the cost of the oil I plan to change it myself (Firestone wanted $120.00). I would appreciate all feedback!

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I let the dealer change my oil and rotate tires since they always offer decent prices to do both in one trip.

Plus if there are EVER any issues related to oil, it's on their dime to fix it.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Firestone said they would only use 0W-30 ACEA C2 or above for an oil change, the dealer regular 5w-30 is OK and they have an oil change special for $44.95! After carefully reading the manual it appears that ACEA C2 or above is required. The only oil to meet that spec appears to be Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. I would appreciate any comments in regard to this with any recommendation of oil that meets the Genesis specification. Also due to the cost of the oil I plan to change it myself (Firestone wanted $120.00). I would appreciate all feedback!
I'd hate to be one of those posts that does not address your concern - recommendation of oil that meets the Genesis specs, but FWIW, I've been doing my own oil changes from 50k kms onwards on my G70 2.0T. The first 5 oil changes from the dealer was with all random grades. Only the first invoice says "PZL 5W40" which I guess stands for Pennzoil. The subsequent invoices does not mention the brand but just weight. I stopped going to them and have tried a couple of brands of 0W-30 since then. For the last 2 changes, I have been using Castrol Edge Titanium 5W30 as it was cheap and on sale in Costco. I will try the Kirkland synthetic 5W-30 after I use up my existing stock.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It is recommended for high performance and some diesel engines. It has lower SAPS. ACEA C2 is a European spec.
This explains why for diesels but not so much for your engine

You need to use Low SAPS oil because Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, and Sulphur are all substances that can build-up and block your vehicle’s DPF.

Bob the oil guy says:
Hi all, many oil manufacturers (especially European and Australians) now provide Low SAPS (low sulfated ash, phosphorus-sulfur). These oils are specifically blended for diesels with particle filters and gasoline engines with 3 way catalytic converters. However oil manufacturers including Castrol, Liqui-Moly, Kroon-Oil etc do also recommend these oils for cars not fitted with these devices.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It is crazy, isn't it? And see that Quaker State logo in the table? They don't even make the recommended oil!

I bought my 2019 G80 in November last year and the dealership will not put in synthetic oil, only conventional. I stopped going and change my own oil now.

Go back and look at the 2019 manual, I'm pretty sure it will give you more choices. If I were you, I would run a 5W-30 full synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum. They are recommending the 20 weight oil for better gas mileage, but I doubt it protect your engine as well as a 30 weight would.

The attached is from the 2020 G70 manual. And I agree with rmod, the Kirkland oil from Costco is great stuff, and what I'll likely buy going forward. I've been all over the map on this, but hey, it's just oil.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-195309_Office Mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-195309_Office Mobile.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 7

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ +1.

OP - check your OM. it has the correct spec call ups.

my dealer uses 0W30 matching OE specs. Pennzoil Platinum is listed on the invoice. this is the 'winter oil' from ~Oct-Mar.

for my 6 month OCI (out of pocket) i use Penn Plat Euro 5W40 with matching OE specs. this is my summer oil.

i am also 2.0T, btw.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So synthetics oils are OK? If so, what is the best? I have a 3.3T
"Best" has been debated forever. Any of the major brands will do well for you. Shop for price over brand. Amazon, Costco, Mobil 1, Penzoil, etc. are all good.

Don in Texas

Magnolia Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'd hate to be one of those posts that does not address your concern - recommendation of oil that meets the Genesis specs, but FWIW, I've been doing my own oil changes from 50k kms onwards on my G70 2.0T. The first 5 oil changes from the dealer was with all random grades. Only the first invoice says "PZL 5W40" which I guess stands for Pennzoil. The subsequent invoices does not mention the brand but just weight. I stopped going to them and have tried a couple of brands of 0W-30 since then. For the last 2 changes, I have been using Castrol Edge Titanium 5W30 as it was cheap and on sale in Costco. I will try the Kirkland synthetic 5W-30 after I use up my existing stock.
Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestion!

Don in Texas

Magnolia Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ +1.

my dealer uses 0W30 matching OE specs. Pennzoil Platinum is listed on the invoice. this is the 'winter oil' from ~Oct-Mar.

for my 6 month OCI (out of pocket) i use Penn Plat Euro 5W40 with matching OE specs. this is my summer oil.

i am also 2.0T, btw.
Thanks for the suggestions and quick reply!

Don in Texas

Magnolia Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ +1.

i am also 2.0T, btw.
Thanks for the reply!

Don in Texas

Magnolia Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It is crazy, isn't it? And see that Quaker State logo in the table? They don't even make the recommended oil!

I bought my 2019 G80 in November last year and the dealership will not put in synthetic oil, only conventional. I stopped going and change my own oil now.

Go back and look at the 2019 manual, I'm pretty sure it will give you more choices. If I were you, I would run a 5W-30 full synthetic like Pennzoil Platinum. They are recommending the 20 weight oil for better gas mileage, but I doubt it protect your engine as well as a 30 weight would.

The attached is from the 2020 G70 manual. And I agree with rmod, the Kirkland oil from Costco is great stuff, and what I'll likely buy going forward. I've been all over the map on this, but hey, it's just oil.
Thanks!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums