• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Cracked Windshield - Twice in 5 months...Recall issue??

GV80SweetThomas

Houston, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I have a 2021 Genesis GV80 - I love my car!

In Dec. 2021, a large projectile hit my windshield while driving and cracked it, after a long wait (months) for the part, I finally had it replaced in March 2022. In May 2022, I heard a small "crack" sound come from the dash/windshield area but didn't see anything. A few hours later when I got in my car, my windshield was cracked.

I have Googled "GV80 windshield issues" and found that many Genesis drivers have complained about the windshield cracking easily and multiple times. IS THIS A RECALL, if not, SHOULD IT BE?

In my 30 years of driving, I have never had a cracked windshield. I find it odd that a brand new luxury car has such a sensitive/thin/defective windshield. The replacement costs $1,500. Insurance covers it, however, I have spent $1000 in deductibles to have the windshield replaced twice.

Hopefully I won't have this issue again, but I believe this is something that Genesis needs to look into and handle.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have a 2021 Genesis GV80 - I love my car!

In Dec. 2021, a large projectile hit my windshield while driving and cracked it, after a long wait (months) for the part, I finally had it replaced in March 2022. In May 2022, I heard a small "crack" sound come from the dash/windshield area but didn't see anything. A few hours later when I got in my car, my windshield was cracked.

I have Googled "GV80 windshield issues" and found that many Genesis drivers have complained about the windshield cracking easily and multiple times. IS THIS A RECALL, if not, SHOULD IT BE?

In my 30 years of driving, I have never had a cracked windshield. I find it odd that a brand new luxury car has such a sensitive/thin/defective windshield. The replacement costs $1,500. Insurance covers it, however, I have spent $1000 in deductibles to have the windshield replaced twice.

Hopefully I won't have this issue again, but I believe this is something that Genesis needs to look into and handle.
So a large projectile hit your windshield and you think the car maker should do a recall.

The second time may be from a faulty installation. Do you have evidence of anything?

I don't know if there is an issue of some sort with the glass and perhaps that should be investigated but they cannot control large projectiles.

You can and perhaps should report it but don't get your hopes up yet. You say it is thin. Do you have measurements of the thickness? What other cars use? Facts work better than supposition. If you can put some together you may have valid concern.

mlb007

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
So a large projectile hit your windshield and you think the car maker should do a recall.

The second time may be from a faulty installation. Do you have evidence of anything?

I don't know if there is an issue of some sort with the glass and perhaps that should be investigated but they cannot control large projectiles.

You can and perhaps should report it but don't get your hopes up yet. You say it is thin. Do you have measurements of the thickness? What other cars use? Facts work better than supposition. If you can put some together you may have valid concern.

I know when it happens to me I sure do!!

koala

Registered Member
Calgary, AB
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I've gone through at least 15-20 windshield replacements in my 22 years of driving. You get used to it when you drive somewhere with winter half the year.

At the end of the day, if a large object strikes your windshield, it's probably going to crack.

Some vehicles are more prone to this than others, and it really has a lot to do with the rake of the windshield. We went through 5 windshields on our 2014 GLK (3 years / 110,000 km). I went through 3 on my pair of S2000's (5 years / 50,000 km). The common theme was the angle of the windshields on those cars.

Our 2017 Sedona has only ever had one windshield replaced after 6 years / 140,000 km. But look at the angle on that windshield, rocks are more prone to deflect off and not hit dead on.

Southbeach

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I've gone through at least 15-20 windshield replacements in my 22 years of driving. You get used to it when you drive somewhere with winter half the year.

At the end of the day, if a large object strikes your windshield, it's probably going to crack.

Some vehicles are more prone to this than others, and it really has a lot to do with the rake of the windshield. We went through 5 windshields on our 2014 GLK (3 years / 110,000 km). I went through 3 on my pair of S2000's (5 years / 50,000 km). The common theme was the angle of the windshields on those cars.

Our 2017 Sedona has only ever had one windshield replaced after 6 years / 140,000 km. But look at the angle on that windshield, rocks are more prone to deflect off and not hit dead on.
The dealer I’m buying my gv80 from told me that not only can you get a protective film for the front of your vehicle but they also have a protective film that goes on the windshield. I’m certainly going to look into this more when my vehicle arrives and hopefully ask all the appropriate questions. Re: HUD, etc. He said it really helps save your windshield.

koala

Registered Member
Calgary, AB
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The dealer I’m buying my gv80 from told me that not only can you get a protective film for the front of your vehicle but they also have a protective film that goes on the windshield. I’m certainly going to look into this more when my vehicle arrives and hopefully ask all the appropriate questions. Re: HUD, etc. He said it really helps save your windshield.

Yep, I'll do that film on my second GV80 windshield. The first one is covered by the wear and tear warranty package :)

These films are only worth doing if you know the installer is extremely experienced as they have to go down perfectly. They also have their own wear issues from excessive wiper use

Southbeach

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yep, I'll do that film on my second GV80 windshield. The first one is covered by the wear and tear warranty package :)

These films are only worth doing if you know the installer is extremely experienced as they have to go down perfectly. They also have their own wear issues from excessive wiper use
Thank you. These are some of the questions I’m going to ask. I am getting that extra package protection as well but would like to do everything I can not to have future problems.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

mlb007

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80

and pad their margins.

A J

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
There is no film or FILM that’s going to prevent rock chips or cracks in the windshield. The only windshield that may give you added protection is on specific jeeps. Per my insurance claim rep …”some new jeeps come with gorilla glass ,(iPhone) technology. “ I had a pebble hit my GV80 …cracked,then spider webbed a week later…500 deductible. Your either lucky or your not…said the stone.

Southbeach

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
There is no film or FILM that’s going to prevent rock chips or cracks in the windshield. The only windshield that may give you added protection is on specific jeeps. Per my insurance claim rep …”some new jeeps come with gorilla glass ,(iPhone) technology. “ I had a pebble hit my GV80 …cracked,then spider webbed a week later…500 deductible. Your either lucky or your not…said the stone.
I cannot say whether it would work or not as I have never had the protective film on my windshields, however, it does work when you have the film installed on your vehicle. I have the front end of my Jaquar wrapped and not one blemish from anything.

wheeling

Registered Member
Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
The windshield glass is defective. mine just cracked this weekend. Nothing hit it. I noticed a center of origin that is in the interior of the glass and covered by plastics of the dash. There is no way I or anyone else could cause this. I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and see what they will say.

Southbeach

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The windshield glass is defective. mine just cracked this weekend. Nothing hit it. I noticed a center of origin that is in the interior of the glass and covered by plastics of the dash. There is no way I or anyone else could cause this. I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and see what they will say.
Good to know. Thank you.

JEBIV

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The Genesis windshield is far from weak !! 65 mph impact from a rock the size of 3 fists, scared me to death but the windshield did it's job windshield.jpg

Speeder

Registered Member
Quinton, NJ
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I'm over 33,000 miles on my GV80 and still rolling with the original windshield. Peoples driving styles also factor in here. Granted you can't avoid everything that's laying on the roads but maintaining a decent following distance sure helps you avoid objects kicked up by other vehicles. My latest incident was with a turkey but I don't think the grille is defective.
1652715331780.png

Jhon

Registered Member
Southwest Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
My last two cars:

Audi Q5, windshield at 12000 miles $2,400
Acura RDX Windshield at 6000 miles. $1,500

Here in Florida, there is no deductible for broken glass providing you have comprehensive coverage.