Crazy oil change on my 2012 3.8

ASP05021

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Thread starter #1
took it in yesterday for an oil change at a local quick lube shop , normally I take it to the dealership.. (first time other than d'ship).. anyhoo.. the tech comes over to me and say .. uh.. there was no oil filter on the car? I thought that had to be crazt because there was no oil or check engine light notification.. no clear change in things other than my wife mentioning to me friday night that she felt something weird.. Now is it crazy to think this actually happened that somehow the filter fell or popped off and the car gave no sign at all that something so potentially catastrophic occurred.. I'm thinking I should run to the dealership to check it out because not sure I can trust what they said in the shop.. For the record he also said my alignment was off because the center of the tire was worn on one of the tires and I know full well that is more likely an overinflation issue than an alignment issue.. Just thought I would see what folks thought about that here... How the heck can an oil filter even fall off?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
took it in yesterday for an oil change at a local quick lube shop , normally I take it to the dealership.. (first time other than d'ship).. anyhoo.. the tech comes over to me and say .. uh.. there was no oil filter on the car? I thought that had to be crazt because there was no oil or check engine light notification.. no clear change in things other than my wife mentioning to me friday night that she felt something weird..
Note the filter is in a cartridge and it is possible to put it back on with no filter inside.

ASP05021

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #3
ahhh.. so does that mean that the dealer didn't put a filter in last oil change..? Guess I need to go back to them and file a complaint.. What effects can this potentially have on my engine.. I assume that without the filter there is accumulation of grit in the oil which can potentially affect wear on engine parts.. Must have been like that for a good 6 months since the last oil change..

Thanks for the info...

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
ahhh.. so does that mean that the dealer didn't put a filter in last oil change..? Guess I need to go back to them and file a complaint.. What effects can this potentially have on my engine..
That's what it sounds like. If you have a record, or the dealer does, they can tell who did the last change. Pretty unthinkable that it was done to make a few bucks on the service and that a tech is that careless. Yes, if conditions were bad it would add to the wear over time.

There are a few people here, especially Mark_888 that do not trust the dealer to do an oil change. Leaving out a filter would rank high on reasons.

homeofstone

Registered Member
First the 3.8 has a canister filter that is installed in a housing, so it can't fall off . if the cover was not on the filter housing then there would have been no oil pressure. So question for the OP - Did you actually see what the tech was talking about regarding the "no filter statement"? Did the tech install a filter per Hyundai specs? Only OEM filters should be used. Some after market filters can damage the engine.

ASP05021

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #8
I am also curious about how a non OEM filter may damage the engine..

Audio

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
It's advertisements. They are also browser-history targeted. For example, the post you speak of does not show me bathing suits. It shows me watches(I recently was researching and purchasing a new watch). So you have a whole new line of explaining to do. lol

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
I would expect that from Walmart, etc but not a dealer....

That's what it sounds like. If you have a record, or the dealer does, they can tell who did the last change. Pretty unthinkable that it was done to make a few bucks on the service and that a tech is that careless. Yes, if conditions were bad it would add to the wear over time.

There are a few people here, especially Mark_888 that do not trust the dealer to do an oil change. Leaving out a filter would rank high on reasons.

ASP05021

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #14
Haha.
I cannot fathom why bikinis popped up. Lol.
Anyway. I actually wrote Ng fully accused the dealer. Went back through my records and realized that I took the car in the interim to a friends shop. Clearly not as good a friend as I thought as it seems that he didn’t don’t bother to change the filter and it either disintegrated or was not replaced.
Completely unacceptable. Will never take my car back then again.

Thanks for all the responses.
It's advertisements. They are also browser-history targeted. For example, the post you speak of does not show me bathing suits. It shows me watches(I recently was researching and purchasing a new watch). So you have a whole new line of explaining to do. lol

MorrisGray

Hasn't posted much yet...
You never know about things like this, which is why I prefer to do my own oil changes as long as I am able to. I like to look things over underneath the car and to make sure all of my panel fasteners are put back on. You ever see cars running down the road with one of those underbody panels dragging the ground or flapping in the wind?
I sometimes let the dealership change the oil when they run an oil change special but they always upcharge for the extra 1/2 quart of oil needed, but still only $30 and change.
The quick lube shop could have been misleading you so that you would keep coming back to them because now you would trust them!

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Exactly. Even so, with what few oil changes I've had done, and doing my own. I've lost some of the 12 bolts that hold the underengine panels on. SO I just ordered and bought some from the local dealer to replace them.

You never know about things like this, which is why I prefer to do my own oil changes as long as I am able to. I like to look things over underneath the car and to make sure all of my panel fasteners are put back on. You ever see cars running down the road with one of those underbody panels dragging the ground or flapping in the wind?
I sometimes let the dealership change the oil when they run an oil change special but they always upcharge for the extra 1/2 quart of oil needed, but still only $30 and change.
The quick lube shop could have been misleading you so that you would keep coming back to them because now you would trust them!

MorrisGray

Hasn't posted much yet...
Man, I just did my oil change yesterday and was worried I wasn't going to get the drain plug or the filter cap off. The last oil change was done at the dealer. I had to get a hammer and tap on my wrench for the 17mm oil pan bolt to break loose. And then I had to get my long torque wrench out to have enough leverage to break my 27mm oil cap loose. Thankfully all of my panel bolts are still in place, eight I believe. I used the Kia 26320-3c30A oil filter that I ordered from Amazon and filled with 5 quarts of 5w30 full synthetic oil. I also bought a Purolator A46056 air filter at AAP locally to replace the bug infested one that was in the air box. First time I looked at it, I almost didn't pull it out to examine it because it was so clean on top. But make sure you remove and inspect because all the trash comes in from underneath the filter. It took longer than I had hoped but I was glad that I did it myself and got to look everything over.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
5.4 I believe. I changed mine a couple of weeks ago and absent-mindedly put in the 5 qt jug then dumped in another quart...DUH. So I had to dribble out enough to get it down to the full mark. Silly me.

One more thing to add... I know that the 2012 v6 is supposed to take 5.5 quarts of oil but it shows at the full level mark on the dipstick so I am going to leave it alone and keep an eye on it for the next week.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
I use a K&N air filter and clean it twice a year. I hate when those dudes use the gorilla grips to put the drain plug and filter in...it's just laziness.

Man, I just did my oil change yesterday and was worried I wasn't going to get the drain plug or the filter cap off. The last oil change was done at the dealer. I had to get a hammer and tap on my wrench for the 17mm oil pan bolt to break loose. And then I had to get my long torque wrench out to have enough leverage to break my 27mm oil cap loose. Thankfully all of my panel bolts are still in place, eight I believe. I used the Kia 26320-3c30A oil filter that I ordered from Amazon and filled with 5 quarts of 5w30 full synthetic oil. I also bought a Purolator A46056 air filter at AAP locally to replace the bug infested one that was in the air box. First time I looked at it, I almost didn't pull it out to examine it because it was so clean on top. But make sure you remove and inspect because all the trash comes in from underneath the filter. It took longer than I had hoped but I was glad that I did it myself and got to look everything over.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.