CRC GDI Intake Cleaner?

memphiskane

Registered Member
I haven't used the CRC but I recently used the Seafoam spray intake cleaner. I have about 79000 miles on my R spec and it smoothed out the idle quite a bit and it feels better across the whole rev range. I had the Valvoline intake service done on the car when I first got it at 28000. I have used seafoam on all of my older cars but this was the first time on a newer vehicle. Given the impact it had on driveability I am going to be doing every 10000 from hear on out on i think all my cars.

Also that being said I think I will stick with using the vacuum lines to draw it into the intake vs going the throttle body route. Just seems easier to me vs removing all the damn air intake plastics.

JerryB52

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thread starter #6
That sounds good. I'm going to use seafoam the next time also. I didn't get a lot of smoke with the CRC. I kind of wanted to see a lot of smoke to show me that was doing something. :) exactly what vacuum hose can I use so that it doesn't throw a code?

memphiskane

Registered Member
Not sure on not throwing a code. I used the throttle body version and it threw like 2 codes and a pending code. After starting it back up It kept dying on me when I would come to a stop. I just drove the hell out of it in 2nd and 3rd gear to keep the rpms up for like 20 minutes and it ran like a top after. I didn't get very much smoke with the throttle body method either but I didn't get the whole can in. I may try to redo this weekend properly through the brake booster vacuum hose that way I can get a hot soak as well.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Here is what I would suggest. Get a decent borescope - I have a Giraffe borescope I got off Amazon a couple of years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/GiraffeCam-Flexible-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection/dp/B01BI86AEM

Pull the top of the plenum off (like you are going to replace plugs) and use the borescope to examine the intake valves. At this time you could possibly soak the valves with a good spray if the deposits are not that bad. If bad, then a manual cleaning would be in order (as you've no doubt seen on YouTube).

Be aware that any 'canned' solution to intake deposits may or may not work..or you can make your own (it's not difficult). Depending on the amount of deposits, spraying stuff like this into the intake may be wasting your money without knowing exactly what you're dealing with, which I I'd recommend using a borescope to LOOK at the valves.

Then, if you have not done so, install an oil catchcan to prevent any further buildup of deposits.

As for each brand of solution, look the MSDS for each product to see what's in it and decide.

Gunkk

Registered Member
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Be aware that any 'canned' solution to intake deposits may or may not work..or you can make your own (it's not difficult). Depending on the amount of deposits, spraying stuff like this into the intake may be wasting your money without knowing exactly what you're dealing with, which I I'd recommend using a borescope to LOOK at the valves.

Then, if you have not done so, install an oil catchcan to prevent any further buildup of deposits.

As for each brand of solution, look the MSDS for each product to see what's in it and decide.
100% agree with this. Lots of the Seafoam/CRC type spray manifold cleaners are a mix of diesel fuel and Techron (polyetheramine). Most won't do squat but make smoke if you have any serious buildup.

Walnut shells works. Most sprays don't.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.