• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Curb Rash Anyone?

Genebro

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Anyone have a product or procedure for at least cosmetic touch up of curb rash on the standard alloys of a 2017 G80? I've never been prone to curb rashing my wheels (much), but I've never had a car with the large footprint of this car, especially the front wheels in relation to the short front end overhang. I'd prefer something DYI rather than a full tires off/refinish approach. Thanks.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Powder coat can't be fixed or touched up, only removed entirely and re done (cheaper to get new rims at that point). You could remove the leading edge with sand paper where it wants to peel back and use touch-up paint, but you won't find a good matching color, and it may still want to peel back further over time, but it's unlikely. Powder coat is a great very durable product, but sucks to fix.

Chrome is worse, once it's curbed and starts to peel, it will just keep peeling over time.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I was looking for touch up paint because I have a tiny black mark on my Siberian Ice G80 and came across this. When I pulled down the paint size menu to make my order I noticed something strange. They have rim paint. I have scratched rims before on cars and could never get paint that matched them so I order it as well. It's 10 bucks and if it matches it is well worth it. In this case I hope I never need it and with all the cameras and mirror tilting etc. maybe I won't but you never know. I have not come close to a curb yet. but if I do need it I will be ready. ( I have scrapped the wheels on the last two cars I owned.

Hyundai Siberian Ice B/C - Hyundai - Express Paint

Once I get my paint I will report back on how well it matches to the OEM wheels. I'm not real sure about this one.

mgg

Last edited:

Genebro

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks for both replies. I'll keep going on this pet project and keep all posted.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have a small ding on my bumber that I've decided to give this site a shot at fixing.

Re wheel rash, there are those who never experienced wheel rash until it happens. I have and ended up with a $200 bill to fix it. I will say with the "overhead" camera display, with care the chances of it happening are greatly diminished.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I agree I did not have the camera system or the auto tilt side mirrors in my other cars. I am very careful with this one as I really love the wheels.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I’m very careful when driving near curbs, but even then, only three weeks into ownership of my 2019 G80 Sport I rubbed a curb in a parking garage. The designers of the garage put in a winding entrance lane designated by raised curbs, and the width of the lane was just slightly wider than my vehicle, not taking into account the curves of the lane. It wasn’t until I hit the curb that I realized there was no chance of me negotiating the lane successfully.

I actually felt the pain in my bones. Not fun.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have run into two similar situations. I got lucky and got through them and don't use those drive through's any more. One at Toco Bell and one at Sams Gas/ Car Wash. Why they would curve those things and make them so narrow is beyond me. You can see the curbs are black from people hitting them with their cars.

If the rim paint matches you may be able to sand the rim a little where it scrapped and paint it. Probably won't be perfect but will look a lot better than road rash. Here is another product you can put on your rim to avoid road rash and a video on how to repair road rash.

Preventing Curb Rash | What Is Curb Rash? | Rvinyl

Last edited:

cappuccinoman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
i would suggest to look up a local Rim repair place and get a few price quotes. Just to let you know the rim on a G80 sports cost about $1000 EACH

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I've got tire and wheel coverage that specifically covers cosmetic as well as structural damage, so I'm not worried about it. I knew going in that the wheels would be expensive.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Powder coat can't be fixed or touched up, only removed entirely and re done (cheaper to get new rims at that point). You could remove the leading edge with sand paper where it wants to peel back and use touch-up paint, but you won't find a good matching color, and it may still want to peel back further over time, but it's unlikely. Powder coat is a great very durable product, but sucks to fix.
Not buying this. I had curb rash on my front wheel on my '18 G80 Sport. Took it to a wheel shop and they fixed it like new including powder coat and clear coat. About $200 out the door.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
i would suggest to look up a local Rim repair place and get a few price quotes. Just to let you know the rim on a G80 sports cost about $1000 EACH
If you google G80 wheels, there are several available for $300-$600.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Anyone have a product or procedure for at least cosmetic touch up of curb rash on the standard alloys of a 2017 G80? I've never been prone to curb rashing my wheels (much), but I've never had a car with the large footprint of this car, especially the front wheels in relation to the short front end overhang. I'd prefer something DYI rather than a full tires off/refinish approach. Thanks.
I have a G80 Sport wheel. I think it's new, but if not, it looks new. I bought it on the internet about 5 months ago to replace my front curb rashed wheel, but I had the damaged wheel fixed and just kept this one for possible future curb rash. Will to sell it for $270 including shipping. If you don't like it on arrival, I'm willing to take it back, but you will have to pay the return shipping. Once again, this is a front wheel.

Since you might scuff up another one down the road, I would be inclined to try mgg's fix, post 8 above.

It appears that the G80 Sport has different wheels than the G80 or the G80 5.0 FWIW.

Last edited:

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have a G80 Sport wheel. I think it's new, but if not, it looks new. I bought it on the internet about 5 months ago to replace my front curb rashed wheel, but I had the damaged wheel fixed and just kept this one for possible future curb rash. Will to sell it for $270 including shipping. If you don't like it on arrival, I'm willing to take it back, but you will have to pay the return shipping. Once again, this is a front wheel.

Since you might scuff up another one down the road, I would be inclined to try mgg's fix, post 8 above.

It appears that the G80 Sport has different wheels than the G80 or the G80 5.0 FWIW.
OK since this post I got some curb rash. It looked really bad but I found some paint at Walmart that is a really good match for the G80 Sport wheels. It is Rust-Oleum Universal Advanced Formula Metallic Paint & Primer in One. The color is Black Stainless Steel. It is not a perfect match but man it is close. I sanded the little spots and painted and it looked pretty good but you could see the gouges. So I re-sanded filled the gouges with filler re-sanded smooth and repainted and man unless you know it is there cant tell. 20190806_155740_HDR.jpg

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums