• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Curb View Mirror Tilt Troubles

Limbermind

Hasn't posted much yet...
Arizona
Hi All,

First post. The community here seems to be of high quality. Kudos to the mods and members for making this place great.

Proud new owner of a 2012 R-spec.

I am really, really enjoying this car. Came from a G35 6sp. What a change!

On to my question.

I have spent a fair amount of time searching both Google, and this forum for information on the tilt-down function of the side rear view mirrors when the transmission is placed into reversed.

I have become familiar with how the function is made active (mirror adjustment switch NOT in center position).

The problem: the passenger side mirror does NOT tilt down. Only the drivers side mirror tilts down.

The manual adjustment of the passenger mirror works perfectly, albeit slower than the drivers mirror.

The fold-in/out feature of the mirror works, but it has had some fold-out issues (paint scrape on the close fitting surfaces of the joint).

The auto-dimming feature of the mirror works perfectly.

Can anyone share similar experience or a remedy? I took it to the dealer this morning and my service adviser said "bring it back next week so we can spend more time with it" (I only had one hour of time for them).

I understand things happen and these vehicles are complex, but it has left me with an uneasy feeling.

Can you guys make me feel better with objective input?

I really hope someone else has been through this.

Also, can this car actually be this fast or am I in the Matrix?

Thanks!

EXBMWGUY

Been here awhile...
Hi All,

First post. The community here seems to be of high quality. Kudos to the mods and members for making this place great.

Proud new owner of a 2012 R-spec.

I am really, really enjoying this car. Came from a G35 6sp. What a change!

On to my question.

I have spent a fair amount of time searching both Google, and this forum for information on the tilt-down function of the side rear view mirrors when the transmission is placed into reversed.

I have become familiar with how the function is made active (mirror adjustment switch NOT in center position).

The problem: the passenger side mirror does NOT tilt down. Only the drivers side mirror tilts down.

The manual adjustment of the passenger mirror works perfectly, albeit slower than the drivers mirror.

The fold-in/out feature of the mirror works, but it has had some fold-out issues (paint scrape on the close fitting surfaces of the joint).

The auto-dimming feature of the mirror works perfectly.

Can anyone share similar experience or a remedy? I took it to the dealer this morning and my service adviser said "bring it back next week so we can spend more time with it" (I only had one hour of time for them).

I understand things happen and these vehicles are complex, but it has left me with an uneasy feeling.

Can you guys make me feel better with objective input?

I really hope someone else has been through this.

Also, can this car actually be this fast or am I in the Matrix?

Thanks!

First off -- welcome. Good choice.

My mirrors both operate exactly the same, depending on on the switch position. Yes, the car is fast, but wait until its fully broken in. I regularly arrive at my destination up to an hour before my departure time. :cool:

Limbermind

Arizona
First off -- welcome. Good choice.

My mirrors both operate exactly the same, depending on on the switch position. Yes, the car is fast, but wait until its fully broken in. I regularly arrive at my destination up to an hour before my departure time. :cool:

Thanks for the input. I suspect most folks have mirrors that work fine.

Ugh.

I'm still in the break-in period so although I'm getting a sip of the power I have yet to really let it go.

Come-on 600 miles!

I hope others have some direct experience with my problem. It's really nagging as I would use the feature multiple times daily.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
The mirror is definitely not working as it's supposed to. And the fact that you're getting paint scraping when it folds/unfolds suggests a faulty part and/or installation, so I think you need to visit the dealer. (Fewer presses of the return key are another, unrelated suggestion. :))

CC4.6

Been here awhile...
Central Florida
"I regularly arrive at my destination up to an hour before my departure time."

Rats, you must have gotten the flux capacitor option! I know I should have gone for that. :D

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Welcome to the OP. Lucky you, you have one problem with your new car. Let your dealer fix it for free. Maybe it was damaged on the boat ride over.

During my first month with my new car I picked up a nail in a tire sidewall. That expense was on me. Stuff happens. I've had no other real problems, so far, to spoil the fun.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
The mirror problem is most likely the little switch in the door. Easy fix for the dealer.

EXBMWGUY

Been here awhile...
"I regularly arrive at my destination up to an hour before my departure time."

Rats, you must have gotten the flux capacitor option! I know I should have gone for that. :D

Don't leave home without it!!

LIMBERMIND - like others have said, this is easily fixed by your dealer at no cost to you. These cars are largely defect-free. Don't let this dampen your view of the car. The flux capacitor is also not a bad idea. :D

gameday22

Been here awhile...
Florida
The mirror is a quick fix for your dealer, if there is paint scraping on the inside then it was definitely damaged during shipment or possibly on the lot..either way they will take care of it under warranty for you.

On the flux capacitor reply all I have to say is in the infamous words of Dr. Emmett Brown:

I need more gigawatts !!!

I have a 2010 Genny that I got in June of 2010, was going to get the new R-Spec but if my thoughts are correct the 2014's should be a completely redesigned Genesis (usually every 5 model years), which means summer of 2013 is when I'll pick another one up. I fully plan to keep my current one, it has been a great car. :)

Ruissimo

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Limbermind,

Welcome! Great choice in car, by the way :)

Here's what I would do:

1) Go to hmaservice.com - sign up if you haven't already done so. Go to "Telematics Information" on the left side. Enter your VIN #. Check to see if any work was done to your car OTHER THAN a pre-delivery inspection. If something major happened to your car, you'll find it on there. It is common to see the driver's visor being replaced on there, for example.

2) Set up a service appointment with your local dealer. Not sure where you are located, but hopefully there are multiple dealers in your area and you can find a good one. They'll take care of you!

I know it sucks to have a car go in for service when it is so new (I just dropped mine off yesterday for something that wasn't even an issue) - but once it is fixed, you're gonna feel SOOOO much better!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Polen

Getting familiar with the group...
Texas

Limbermind

Arizona
Limbermind,

Welcome! Great choice in car, by the way :)

Here's what I would do:

1) Go to hmaservice.com - sign up if you haven't already done so. Go to "Telematics Information" on the left side. Enter your VIN #. Check to see if any work was done to your car OTHER THAN a pre-delivery inspection. If something major happened to your car, you'll find it on there. It is common to see the driver's visor being replaced on there, for example.

2) Set up a service appointment with your local dealer. Not sure where you are located, but hopefully there are multiple dealers in your area and you can find a good one. They'll take care of you!

I know it sucks to have a car go in for service when it is so new (I just dropped mine off yesterday for something that wasn't even an issue) - but once it is fixed, you're gonna feel SOOOO much better!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Thanks to everyone for the replies and thank you Ruissimo for the tip!

I signed up at hmaservice.com a few days ago, so I'll go conduct the steps you outlined after I post this.

I have a repeat visit scheduled for Tuesday next week. This time I'll be giving them the car for most of the day so I really hope the technician can conduct some quality troubleshooting.

I have more news on the subject:

When I got home tonight I had a thought about what might be occurring. I quickly thought of a test that could help shed more light on the matter. I pressed the #2 driver memory button and watched both the side mirrors. As I expected, only the drivers mirror moved. Passenger mirror did nothing. I then purposefully moved each mirror to a crazy angle and stored it in the #2 slot, then pressed the #1 slot (the one I use) then back to #2. No movement in the passenger mirror for either transition. All other memory associated functions operated perfectly.

Interesting finding I think.

I'm confident that this is all related. As best as I can surmise given my limited knowledge of exactly how Hyundai conducts these operations, I've come to some conclusions (admittedly possibly wrong) about what could be happening.

1. The device in the mirror that reports the current position of the plane of the mirror is malfunctioning/not connected. This could be potentiometers, encoders, or similar that are simple devices that are "aware" of where the motor(s) have just moved the mirror to.

2. The memory register/location where the mirror plane position is stored is malfunctioning/corrupt.

3. The data connections that serve mirror position to the "computer(s)" is non existent, and thus the machine has no idea where the mirror is and as a result can't move it to a new location because it has no idea where the new location "is".

There may be more to this, and again I may be way off base with these thoughts. I think they're reasonable however.

Another finding I forgot to mention in my OP: A 2" section of the gasketing that seals the mirror where it meets the structure of the door has obvious signs of trauma. Looks like someone tried to use a pry tool of some sort to get the mirror apart. No idea how that could happen (maybe at port?). I showed the service adviser, and she indicated that no work was done on the mirror at all while it was in the shop the first time.

More to come, thanks again for all your replies. I will keep everyone posted on this. I hope maybe this will help some other poor schmuck in the future.

Limbermind

Arizona
Forgot to mention, thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Anyway, I just checked HMAService.com for information on any work conducted at port. As best as I can tell, things look clean. See snipet below.

PortWork.jpg

Is this displaying the information I'm after? It seems to. Can I dig deeper than this?

FIAT

Been here awhile...
Curb View Mirror Tilt Troubles:
I have a similar problem my passenger side mirror will occasionally stay tilted down
after several days of folding in and out. Anyone else have this happen?

DominicJE

Been here awhile...
It happened a few times to me before as well where it would stay tilted but I would simply just move it back up, I haven't had issues with it in months now though.

Limbermind

Arizona
Hi All,

UPDATE:
I dropped off the the car this morning at 7:45. By 9:30 I received an email from my SA that the technician needed to remove the door panel to continue troubleshooting.

I said "proceed"

At ~1:30pm I received another email stating roughly the following:

Control module located in front passenger door faulty. Verified by placing know-good unit in situ and verified correct operation. Mirror operated correctly.

It's bittersweet, but I'm glad they found the problem. The SA indicated that they will be ordering a new control module AND ordering a complete new mirror assembly * from Korea. When parts arrive, the mirror will be sent out for color match. Once returned from paint, the new mirror assembly and control module will be installed during one session.

All should be well following my third visit for this issue.

I got many apologies from my SA. I let her know that I was unhappy/displeased, but not with her or her technicians service, but rather the whole situation.

Side note: they provided me with a Santa Fe loaner for my trip to the office and back to the dealership.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Will post update once parts arrive and have been painted (~3 weeks)

Later.

* previously un-mentioned: Mirror damage occurs when mirror is folded. Close fitting surfaces of the mirror-fold joint bind up and scrape off paint. Also causes mirror to bind when folding back out, not allowing it to reach the extent. They found the joint clearance to be "under spec" and are replacing the entire mirror assembly.

Edit: Wordsmithing

Edit: Apparently I did mention the mirror-fold troubles in my OP. Sorry.

Last edited:
Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Glad you're getting it taken care of properly.

Three weeks sounds about right - other people have indicated that parts ordered from Korea don't come quickly.

You're lucky about the loaner.

The most my dealer does is offer a shuttle from their place to my workplace.

OneFunGenesis

<- Runnin' on Empty
Rochester, NY
^ My dealer gives you a Genesis loaner. They have one set aside for those who bring in a Genny or Equus. It's a 3.8 but still.

I'm surprised they wouldn't rob the mirror off another car. Thats what dealers typically do and I have seen it done with the Genesis as well. It gets the customer happy and on the road again. Then all they need to do is order a mirror for their lot sitter ha

Limbermind

Arizona
Glad you're getting it taken care of properly.

Three weeks sounds about right - other people have indicated that parts ordered from Korea don't come quickly.

You're lucky about the loaner.

The most my dealer does is offer a shuttle from their place to my workplace.

I was surprised she managed to swing me a loaner. Initially only the shuttle was on option.

Limbermind

Arizona
^ My dealer gives you a Genesis loaner. They have one set aside for those who bring in a Genny or Equus. It's a 3.8 but still.

I'm surprised they wouldn't rob the mirror off another car. Thats what dealers typically do and I have seen it done with the Genesis as well. It gets the customer happy and on the road again. Then all they need to do is order a mirror for their lot sitter ha

I asked if using the proven good part to repair my vehicle was possible. She said no.

The SA indicated that Hyundai does not allow this. Funny, they dismantled a stock unit to get the part required to verify problem.

If they truly follow the letter of the law, then I respect that.

Last edited: