• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Curbed my rim

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can share your pain. Curbed my right passenger the other day. I couldn't blame that one on my wife =(

Hurts to even think about it.
Damn... Thanks for the empathy! Helps me feel a tiny bit better knowing I'm not the only person who did this on their brand new car... 😞

Are you planning on fixing it?

md1801

Registered Member
St. Louis, MO
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Make friends with one of the companies that does this at all the higher-end dealers in your area. There are several such companies in my area and it never hurts to have a connection. I'm willing to bet they charge the dealers less than the $75-100 mark, so you may be able to negotiate that cost as well.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was actually gonna ask if anyone had experience getting something like this repaired..

..found a place in my area with really good reviews quoting $140 to repair it.

Dealership quoted me $600, plus whatever it is to mount and balance.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The wheel repair shops will strip it, weld as needed and remachine as needed. Then re-powder coat/spray. I’ve had one done on another car and could not tell it from my other rims. It looked brand new. Paid $110 directly to the wheel shop and nothing thru a dealer.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
How deep is the gash? Can't quite tell my the pic. Is it just the finish layer or did you lose some chunks too?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
How deep is the gash? Can't quite tell my the pic. Is it just the finish layer or did you lose some chunks too?
Not too deep - after wiping off some of the debris it doesn't look super bad, but definitely some material was removed. I've got one more wheel repair shop I'm gonna get an estimate from, they do more luxury/premium/high-end cars.

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
F*CK!!!

Turning into a parking lot and didn't see the f*cking low slung curb.
I curbed my right front on my G80. If I remember correctly, a local shop charged me around $180 to fix it like new. Don't know if the G70 has the overhead camera view that my G80 has, but I don't go anywhere around curbs without the overhead view on since my screwup.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I curbed my right front on my G80. If I remember correctly, a local shop charged me around $180 to fix it like new. Don't know if the G70 has the overhead camera view that my G80 has, but I don't go anywhere around curbs without the overhead view on since my screwup.

It does; unfortunately for me this was while I was going forward, rounding a turn from the entrance to the parking lot, I was going fairly quick (~10mph) and just didn't realize how close I was to the curb while making the turn. Boom. Smacked right into it with the rear passenger tire as I was turning right. 100% my own fault for not paying attention.

When I'm pulling in to park, I've always got my eyes glued to the side/rear cameras when coming in close to a curb. But for this situation I think I just didn't realize just how wide my car is.... I guess I've been so used to driving beaters... :c

Thank you for the input. I'm glad to hear they were able to fix your rim really well, I'm hopeful that I'll have the same experience!

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
When I'm pulling in to park, I've always got my eyes glued to the side/rear cameras when coming in close to a curb. But for this situation I think I just didn't realize just how wide my car is.... I guess I've been so used to driving beaters... :c
I should note I have front wheel insurance! When I dinged my wheel, I played around with thinking I would put the dinged wheel in the trunk, using it as a spare until I heared I couldn't do that because of the staggered wheels. While thinking of doing this, I saw a brand new front wheel on ebay for about $225 and bought it. Been thinking of selling it, but it sits in the garage now and IF I were to ding either front wheel, I would have an immediate replacement. INSURANCE???

RE concrete corners, most new corners are rounded, but there are still a lot of older 90 degree corners out there just waiting to be hit on right hand turns.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums