Custom CAI... what to do with vacuum hoses?

Thread starter #1

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
I see two vacuum hoses connected to the stock intake. For those with a CAI did you just connect them together?

Or maybe it's time to install a catch can.

Thread starter #3

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Wow so sad. My other car forum would have had multiple responses by now. No wonder no performance parts manufacturer wants to make anything for us.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Wow so sad. My other car forum would have had multiple responses by now. No wonder no performance parts manufacturer wants to make anything for us.
Not much payback potential in this market segment. Check the demographics.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
I can't speak for the R-Spec as I know there are some minor differences, but on my aftermarket intake pipe (4.6 '10) it had ports pre-installed to connect the vacuum hoses to it.

Thread starter #6

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
I can't speak for the R-Spec as I know there are some minor differences, but on my aftermarket intake pipe (4.6 '10) it had ports pre-installed to connect the vacuum hoses to it.
Thanks man. Yeah I was assuming the R2C intake had ports as well but can't find good pictures of it.

Paul

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Aftermarket intakes will include a section of hose to draw off of the drivers side valve cover, but not the passenger side.
I had a Weapon R intake (Same exact setup as the R2C) installed for a very short time that had one nipple installed which did just this.
Problem is, even though it's only one side, you're still drawing oil saturated blow-by into the intake. The passenger side blow by is still being drawn into the motor, just at a different point...

I haven't done so yet, but if I decide to keep the car, I will be installing a multi-port catch can that will allow my to run hoses from both valve covers.
For shits and giggles, pull off your intake pipe at the throttle body, open up the throttle plate and see how much oil is just sitting along the bottom of the intake plenum.

Thread starter #11

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Waiting on a few more parts to fab my intake then ordering a Mishimoto catch can to bypass all that nasty blow-by from the intake tract.

Going a different route then most for the intake. Going to leverage the stock airbox with a K&N high-flow filter. Then going with a 4" intake tube from the stock airbox to a 4"-3.5" 90° coupler to connect to the TB. Tried doing a less pronounced angle but there isn't enough room to do it. I think removing the OEM intake contraption and going 4" from airbox should give the engine some much needed air to breathe. I am leaving the over-the-radiator piece that connects to the OEM airbox. Looks like it will force a bit more air into the intake tract.

Last edited:

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
There have been many comments/reports about so-called cold air intake kits over the years. All the kits I have seen so far consist of an intake tube and K&N type filter costing around $250. I have not seen an example with an air dam.
I have owned three V8 Genesis, one V6 Genesis and now an Equus. I can tell you that the oem airbox/filter container is exactly the same on all models, with the V6 having a different exit point.
What I have done on all my Hyundais is to replace the oem airbox with a BIG K&N filter. Filter area/size matters!
I use:
K&N RF-1040 Universal Clamp-On Air Filter: Oval Straight; 4 in (102 mm) Flange ID; 7.5 in (191 mm) Height; 9 in x 5.75 in (229 mm x 146 mm) Base; 7 in x 4.5 in (178 mm x 114 mm) Top.
Cost is about $61 for just this filter. The filter has a rubber mount base. You need a short metal 4" tube to connect to soft OEM intake the K&N.
To be really effective one needs an air dam/surround that blocks engine/radiator air from the filter. I built mine out of simple sheet heat duct sheet metal from Lowes. Used some cardboard to make a template first.
My app does not have a neat rubber weatherstrip across the top. In fact, it looks primitive. But it does work and works well. My total investment cost is about $72; and I can reverse to OEM in about an hour.

Thread starter #13

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
I'm simply replacing the "contraption" that is the OEM intake. The airbox is staying. Going with a 4" intake tube from airbox to a 4" to 3.5" 90° elbow at the TB. And a K&N 33-2426 filter.

Rspected

Genesis Model Type
This forum isn't very active. Genesis owners are few and far between and those looking to modify them are even fewer. That being said, I got a custom intake tubing done for mine by a fab shop near me, and they put a breather filter on the end of the PCV hose if that helps.

Edit: pics of intake and breather hose can be found on my Instagram @greasy5.0

Thread starter #18

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Just a test setup with parts in the garage. Will build something more permanent once I'm happy with the results. Still need to pick up a K&N high flow filter.
3.5 to 4" elbow then 4" tubing/coupler to airbox.
20190102_195916.jpg

zAlucarDz

Hampton Roads, Va
Genesis Model Type
Just a test setup with parts in the garage. Will build something more permanent once I'm happy with the results. Still need to pick up a K&N high flow filter.
3.5 to 4" elbow then 4" tubing/coupler to airbox.
View attachment 17405
NSXNEXT is the inlet for the air box 4" ? I noticed the clamp on the airbox seem to have reduced the coupler size that you have in the image by about .25" to .5". I was looking at doing this same intake setup as well. I just got my exhaust done custom 2.5" (MSA Style) x pipe and gutted secondary cats.

Paul

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
Looks nice, but I would recommend either wrapping that intake tube with heat reflecting foil or some sort of heat resistant coating. Metal piping heat-soaks pretty quick when there isn't adequate under hood airflow.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.