Data (center console) USB

FrankieD

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi all,

i was just wondering if anyone has swapped the data usb (center console) with the regular usb (armrest)?

Is that possible to do?

ince getting the wireless CarPlay dongle, the center area is a bit cluttered and I would like to have it in the arrest storage instead. Not sure if a straight swap would work or not

Any input/help would be appreciated. Thanks

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Would think it’s possible, but you will probably need to add an extension to the primary port to get it to extend to center console area. Depending on accessibility and how hard it is to remove the center console components, might be easy or a real pain. Ideally if you had a wiring diagram and knew where each USB port terminated under the dash at the connector, it might be possible to switch the wires at the connection to the info system vs re-routing the two physical ports thru the console.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's a known issue that if you were to plug a USB hub into the front console and then try to use AA or CarPlay via that hub you'd get an error.

USB has the ability to daisy chain components, which is what you'd be doing unless you found an unused USB input on the head unit, which looks to cause issues with AA/CarPlay.

Friedmike

Registered Member
ORLANDO, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's a known issue that if you were to plug a USB hub into the front console and then try to use AA or CarPlay via that hub you'd get an error.

USB has the ability to daisy chain components, which is what you'd be doing unless you found an unused USB input on the head unit, which looks to cause issues with AA/CarPlay.
any idea if a work around was ever achieved allowing the use of a USB hub to power both a usb flash drive for music and wired carplay for maps? i know i tried several types of hubs and none worked. any clever solutions? thanks

G-808878

Which dongle did you purchase? I just ordered the Carlinkit V2.0. Also have wondered about your question but it sounds like it would be some work.

Friedmike

Registered Member
ORLANDO, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Which dongle did you purchase? I just ordered the Carlinkit V2.0. Also have wondered about your question but it sounds like it would be some work.
i've only tried normal usb hubs. i have not tried a wireless carplay adapter and then using the usb port on the carplay adapter. if the carplay port was in the arm rest, i'd definitely try it, just thought it'd be pretty cluttered if i had to put the adapter up front near the head unit.

here are the ones i've tried:

Friedmike

Registered Member
ORLANDO, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi all,

i was just wondering if anyone has swapped the data usb (center console) with the regular usb (armrest)?

Is that possible to do?

ince getting the wireless CarPlay dongle, the center area is a bit cluttered and I would like to have it in the arrest storage instead. Not sure if a straight swap would work or not

Why on earth the armrest USB is not setup for data/carplay is beyond me. my alfa had the opposite problem. 3 usb ports and all activated carplay so if my son plugged into one, he was taking over my nav. but even my old lexus is had 2 data usb ports in the armrest alone. oversight.

Friedmike

Registered Member
ORLANDO, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi all,

Is that possible to do?

What wireless CarPlay did you get? How long after you turn car on does it take to connect? Any noticeable lag when using the steering wheel or touch controls?

Friedmike

Registered Member
ORLANDO, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi all,

Is that possible to do?

What wireless CarPlay did you get? How long after you turn car on does it take to connect? Any noticeable lag when using the steering wheel or touch controls?

bsulffridge

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone come up with a solution to switching the data port to the center console? Just a thought, could you swap the head unit connection points so the inputs are reversed? A wiring diagram or info where those connect to the head unit would be super helpful.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners