daytime running lights

dagrossmd

Hasn't posted much yet...
does anyone have information on programming the genesis sedan to automatically display daytime running lights? i queried the service folks but they didn't have the faintest suggestion other than manually turning on the parking lights each time you get into the car.
thanks
dagross

Can't be done on USA models.

As for turning on "Parking Lights", this is exactly what I do on cloudy (low light) days. The little bulb next to the high beam bulb does a fair job of letting cars know where you are on cloudy days. Parking lights go off when you shut car off and you exit the car.

On sunny days, when I travel the "Blue Roads" (two lane roads), I just use my headlights. They also go off when you shut car off and you exit car.

dagrossmd

thanks bob. nice to know that the manually lit lights turn off when the car shuts off. i am continually amazed by my v8 2010 genesis with the tech package. i drove 4 5 series bmw's until the genesis and can't believe i spent so much money in the past when compared to the hyundai.
mt. dora is a delight.we have friends with a weekend home on lake gertrude and get up there from boca raton fairly often. it's a breath of fresh air.

As for turning on "Parking Lights", this is exactly what I do on cloudy (low light) days. The little bulb next to the high beam bulb does a fair job of letting cars know where you are on cloudy days. Parking lights go off when you shut car off and you exit the car.

On sunny days, when I travel the "Blue Roads" (two lane roads), I just use my headlights. They also go off when you shut car off and you exit car.
I want you to understand the "you exit car" above. If you stay in the car after you shut the ignition off, they lamps stay on. Only when you open the car door to get out, will the lamps go out.

fiscue

I am a firm believer that daytime running lights should be outlawed. When you have these lights on the tail lights are not on, some of the people that drive on our roads across this country do not understand what safety is. If you have daytime running lights on you do not have tail lights, but you need tail lights.When it is foggy and you come up behind cars that are not running their true headlights they can be very hard to see. We need to have better informed drivers and make them use (headlights) when it is foggy or raining, We need to use our head lights when it is raining as the law states. By the way, parking lights are for parking, in a lot of states it is illegal to drive with your parking lights on, check it out for yourself. Motor cycles are required to run with their lights on so they can be seen. If people can not see a car on a clear day with out day time running lights they need to turn in their drivers license. Some of the new cars have the signal lights next to the driving lights, when they use the signal lights the driving lights make the signals hard to see. You can not stop ignorance, and there is a lot of it on our roads these days.
4-6, white. rebadged. The car suits me just fine.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
I am a firm believer that daytime running lights should be outlawed. When you have these lights on the tail lights are not on, some of the people that drive on our roads across this country do not understand what safety is. If you have daytime running lights on you do not have tail lights, but you need tail lights.When it is foggy and you come up behind cars that are not running their true headlights they can be very hard to see. We need to have better informed drivers and make them use (headlights) when it is foggy or raining, We need to use our head lights when it is raining as the law states. By the way, parking lights are for parking, in a lot of states it is illegal to drive with your parking lights on, check it out for yourself. Motor cycles are required to run with their lights on so they can be seen. If people can not see a car on a clear day with out day time running lights they need to turn in their drivers license. Some of the new cars have the signal lights next to the driving lights, when they use the signal lights the driving lights make the signals hard to see. You can not stop ignorance, and there is a lot of it on our roads these days.
4-6, white. rebadged. The car suits me just fine.
I agree completely:) Daytime running lights offer no benefit imo. Just turn on your damn headlights if you want lights on during the day!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
There may be one advantage to daytime runing lights. When you have your lights on during the day (the regular lights, front and rear) then your brake lights aren't as noticeable when your tail lights are already on.

fiscue

There may be one advantage to daytime runing lights. When you have your lights on during the day (the regular lights, front and rear) then your brake lights aren't as noticeable when your tail lights are already on.
I am fairly sure that most brake lights can be seen if indeed the tail lights are on for day time use. Still again we do not use our ( parking ) lights while we are in motion, after all we do not need to be cool as some call it. Our car is cool enough for me. Our so called government has to many laws on the books that are worthless and some are very stupid, As we are aware they do not enforce most of them.

JollyRoger

Gatineau, Qc

Bob CTRC,

What do you mean by saying DRL "Can't be done on USA models"? Isn't thar possible to "reprogram" the computer the meet Canadian Regulation?

Bob CTRC,

What do you mean by saying DRL "Can't be done on USA models"? Isn't thar possible to "reprogram" the computer the meet Canadian Regulation?
Reprogramming the computer will not do it, because you still need the relay to operate the DRL. Although there is a place for the DRL in the engine compartment fuse and relay tray, there is no wiring connecting the spot where you would plug in the relay, so you would only be plugging the relay into nothing.

Not like the Sebring Convertable I owned a few years ago. All I had to do for DRL was to order the module, then plug the module into the correct area of the fuse panel. Easy. Worked like a charm.

mdeanster

Alabama
I agree completely:) Daytime running lights offer no benefit imo. Just turn on your damn headlights if you want lights on during the day!
I respect your opinion as well as others that wish not to have DRL's. I rode a motocycle for eleven years many years ago (long before any regulation for DRL's on motorcycles) and learned the headlight during the day reduced the number of cars that pulled out in front of me; most just don't look closely enough and the headlight helped. I have also towed boats for 40 years and noticed a substantial differecne in the quick response other drivers have to my rig with an 8'6" trailer coming their way on a narrow 2-lane when I have my headlights on during the day vs not turned on. There is a difference in the way many drivers respond when lights are on a vehicle during the day.

My quest for DRL's come from this experience and the desire to not have all my lights on during the day. The USA version simply has not been set up for it. The fact the headlight systems turn off with the ignition is common to headlights today, regardless of DRL's. But, some of the dash board instruments/devices dim too much for daylight when the headlights are switched on. In addition, there are at least 8 other lights or lighting modules turned on besides my headlights when they are switched on and I would prefer not to use these other lights during the day, in addition to the desire to see all my instruments fully illuminated during the day.

The issue of full lighting during the day when weather conditions warrant is a separate issue as well as the stupid drivers that don't turn on lights at night (caused partially by DRL's, but maybe mostly by continuous luminescent instrumentation such that the drivers just don't realize their headlights are off in well lit urban area at night). These would be simply solved by tying the headlighting system to the wipers and also making the headlighting system automatic when it's dark and the vehicle is in a drive gear (or in motion).

Anyway, separate DRL's should at least be a choice or an option for a vehicle that is already partially designed and prepared for them and already costs over $40k.

mdeanster

Alabama
Reprogramming the computer will not do it, because you still need the relay to operate the DRL. Although there is a place for the DRL in the engine compartment fuse and relay tray, there is no wiring connecting the spot where you would plug in the relay, so you would only be plugging the relay into nothing.

Not like the Sebring Convertable I owned a few years ago. All I had to do for DRL was to order the module, then plug the module into the correct area of the fuse panel. Easy. Worked like a charm.
You are correct;there's a position, but it's not wired. And clearly some don't like DRL's anyway and some do.

For those that do like and want DRL's and are searching for a way to install some on their car, I have found a few alternatives.

First, the many LED's out there that are not rated at least 1 watt per LED, don't bother for DRL use. However, if you select one that is rated above 1 watt (I have found one at 3 watts), you will definetly have to turn them off or have them auto dim (dip) when your headlights are on at night.

I have found one source for LED's that come with a switch that simply connects to the positive and negative terminals on the battery. It detects a voltage change when the engine starts and turns on the lights; turns off when you stop the engine. Simple enough to connect. Also has an extra wire you can connect to the headlights if you want (option) the DRLs to turn off when the headlights come on. The LEDs are rated at 1 watt each, which is enough to see during the day, but I don't think matches some of the brighter factory DRLs on some of the European cars. http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Philips-Day-Light-LED-Daytime-Running-Lights-DRL-p/led_ddl_sku_7c.htm

There's another source that claims the LED's are 3 watts each, which might be more similar to the brighter factory DRL's. If so, these will require a dimming switch (or optionally turn them off) at night when the headllights come on. The 3 watt LEDs are http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?...+Lights+-+Rectangular+AUDI+Style+-+Clear+Lens

Then there are numerous other sources for LED DRLs that might have a relay to turn them off when the headlights come on, but you must find an ignition wire to connect to or find a switched fuse position, which only exists inside the cabin of the Genesis as far as I can determine. So for these DRLs, you may want the switch that can connect to the battery terminals. I have ordered such a switch, but don't have it yet and don't know if it will work by connecting to the Genesis terminals under the hood. That's what I'm counting on because I don't want to wire through the firewall or disturb any other wiring to connect to an ignition wire. This source has a switch that turns on and off with the engine as well as a switch that will dim 50% (dip) when the headlights come on. See SY DRL300A and SY DRL300B at http://www.autostyle.nl/productfind...st=False&universal=True&indexdesc=--+Category

I plan to return to this thread and report on the switch I have ordered. I have a set of 1 watt LED's (Rated Working Current: DC 1.12A) I ordered from the following source that fit perfectly and snuggly in the lower grill using 3M tape. No drilling, no cutting. http://www.carpartslights.com/drls-led-daytime-running-light-drl-day-light-audi-style-p-498.html

Trobmo

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Does anyone know where the fuse for the "parking light/side marker" is located? Neither of my lights are coming on, on the passenger side but the driver side comes on.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.