• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Dead Battery - Can't get into vehicle

shillabr

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
We have had our 2010 Genesis parked in the garage for several weeks without being started and when we went to unlock the vehicle with the remote fob, it wouldn't unlock. I am assuming that the vehicle battery is dead because neither key fob will unlock the vehicle, even after changing the fob battery. I thought, no problem, I will just use the manual key to unlock it. To my surprise, I found that the key will not work - it will go into the lock but will not turn in either direction. I also tried the manual key in the trunk but in that case the key will not even go into the lock. Now we bought the car used and I am wondering if the previous owner may have changed out the key fobs with new fobs that will work remotely on the car but that don't have the correct keying to be used manually. Is this a possibility?
My dilemma now is how to get into the car (or even the trunk so that I can recharge the battery)? Getting the car to the dealership would be a major ordeal and I am sure that they would not come to me. Does anyone know if tow truck operator can open a Genesis?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

16UltV6Guy

Act as if....
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'm not very familiar with the 1st gen Genny, but is there any way to go through the back seat trunk pass-through and manage to reach the emergency trunk open handle?

Or a Pop-a-Lock service should be able to get into the driver's compartment.

Hero6

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Locksmith would be the best bet here. In my area, unlocking a car runs about $60 and they are usually there in 45 minutes or less. If you have roadside assistance, your insurance should pay to have this done.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1 more lesson now obvious to the OP: Before you buy a used car, make sure the mechanical key works in the door/trunk locks.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums