Dealer finally managed to locate my 2021 Prestige this week: Should buy or hold out for a 2022?

Rubato

SUSTAINING MEMBER
After putting down a deposit to hold a GV80 Prestige over the summer, agreeing to pay MSRP and get a reasonable return for my trade-in, and after months of delays, it looks like I will finally have the option to get it in the color I want this week.

Back in the summer, getting a 2021 was fine, but as time goes on I am wondering whether at this point in the year I should hold out for a 2022 rather than buy the last of the 2021's. Resale, new updates, and a generally later build to address problems (differential etc.) are all reasons to wait. My dealer says its my choice at this point. But his 2022 allocation has not been built yet at the factory in Korea. So realistically we are looking at best case scenario of December delivery, but more likely January or, the horror, beyond.

A bird in the hand, of course. I know, I know. I was told there will be a Prestige Plus for '22 (not necessarily what they will call it). That would likely have the back seat console. I am assuming that it would also include the folding 3rd row seats, but not sure. Also two new colors.

Frankly, the thing that interests me most are the OTA updates that Genesis advertised in their press release. I was told that these would be software, not hardware, updates that would be available for the 2021's. I would like to believe that. But it is certainly hard to get accurate information from anyone on this subject and I have been trying for months.

Not really asking anyone to tell me what to do! However--- since this board is such a great resource......

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Too many variables in such a decision for an unknown person on the internet to know what you should do.

One option in your favor at this specific time in the auto sales cycle is that if you take the '21 vehicle and eight months from now your preferred '22 is available (lucky you) you would (very) likely be able to trade or sell your nearly new '21 for close to your buy price meaning you had the use of the vehicle for a nominal cost. Who knows if this current car availability situation will continue? Who knows what '22 models will include? Who knows, who knows, who knows? But using the current situation and extrapolating into the future, using only the information we have now, then this situation will play to your position.

And if the logjam of car sales breaks or your preferred '22 is never available then you still have the "one in the hand" going forward. I say take what is there. No regrets about the future.
Regrets are for the past.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Rubato

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Too many variables in such a decision for an unknown person on the internet to know what you should do.

One option in your favor at this specific time in the auto sales cycle is that if you take the '21 vehicle and eight months from now your preferred '22 is available (lucky you) you would (very) likely be able to trade or sell your nearly new '21 for close to your buy price meaning you had the use of the vehicle for a nominal cost. Who knows if this current car availability situation will continue? Who knows what '22 models will include? Who knows, who knows, who knows? But using the current situation and extrapolating into the future, using only the information we have now, then this situation will play to your position.

And if the logjam of car sales breaks or your preferred '22 is never available then you still have the "one in the hand" going forward. I say take what is there. No regrets about the future.
Regrets are for the past.
No worries— I’m not basing my decision on what you say. But you do make an interesting point regarding the impact of the global shortages on the markets. I’m any case, I’m leaning towards getting the 21, just experiencing some decision waffling. Thanks!

JEdwards

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
After putting down a deposit to hold a GV80 Prestige over the summer, agreeing to pay MSRP and get a reasonable return for my trade-in, and after months of delays, it looks like I will finally have the option to get it in the color I want this week.

Back in the summer, getting a 2021 was fine, but as time goes on I am wondering whether at this point in the year I should hold out for a 2022 rather than buy the last of the 2021's. Resale, new updates, and a generally later build to address problems (differential etc.) are all reasons to wait. My dealer says its my choice at this point. But his 2022 allocation has not been built yet at the factory in Korea. So realistically we are looking at best case scenario of December delivery, but more likely January or, the horror, beyond.

A bird in the hand, of course. I know, I know. I was told there will be a Prestige Plus for '22 (not necessarily what they will call it). That would likely have the back seat console. I am assuming that it would also include the folding 3rd row seats, but not sure. Also two new colors.

Frankly, the thing that interests me most are the OTA updates that Genesis advertised in their press release. I was told that these would be software, not hardware, updates that would be available for the 2021's. I would like to believe that. But it is certainly hard to get accurate information from anyone on this subject and I have been trying for months.

Not really asking anyone to tell me what to do! However--- since this board is such a great resource......
If I were you, I would buy the one which is available this week.

I went through a similar thought process in August. Buy now, or wait to perhaps get a few new features in a 2022.

I did some research on differences between the Korean 2021 and 2022 models. I found no reports (or even rumors) about any significant changes to the 2022 model except for the optional second row captains chairs, and one rumor that they might offer the 16 way driver seat to the front passenger in the top trim. I also wondered if the speed limit sign reading feature of the GV70 might be added to the 2022 GV80.

After thinking about for a few days, I made the decision with a thought experiment. If I had the option to buy a 2021 GV80 immediately, or wait 5-6 months to buy one with massaging passenger seat and the speed limit sign gizmo, which would I choose? Those feature were not worth the wait: I chose to buy in August.

Subsequent changes to the Australian and Canadian website, show neither of those features (or any new features at all that I could see in the build tools).

Anyway, the decision is up to you, but it is unlikely that you would miss out on any thing but a higher model year on your title.

BTW. Are you by any chance buying it from the dealership in Arlington?

Last edited:

2021GCSGV80

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I also wondered if the speed limit sign reading feature of the GV70 might be added to the 2022 GV80.

How is this different from the speed limit sign reading in the 2021 GV80? Mine shows me speed limits on the HUD and the infotainment map. Plus if I have cruise set it will adjust the speed to the speed limit that is posted on the roads with exception of temporary construction signs. But in order for that to work I have to set my cruise to the current speed limit of the road I'm on then it will continue to watch them and adjust. In my car it happens to be 1 mile faster than that limit but I'm sure most it's the speed limit.

Dan S

Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I had the same option. I stuck with the 21 3.5 Prestige. Love it. Only had for a week and still lots to learn.
I agree, I waited for 5 months and finally received the 21 Prestige 3.5. Sales person told me that the people on the list after me will get 22 models. However, no build dates have been assigned.

JEdwards

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
How is this different from the speed limit sign reading in the 2021 GV80? Mine shows me speed limits on the HUD and the infotainment map. Plus if I have cruise set it will adjust the speed to the speed limit that is posted on the roads with exception of temporary construction signs. But in order for that to work I have to set my cruise to the current speed limit of the road I'm on then it will continue to watch them and adjust. In my car it happens to be 1 mile faster than that limit but I'm sure most it's the speed limit.
The 2021 GV80 does have some awareness of speed limits, but only from annotations in the navigation system map data. The car cannot use the camera system to recognize, parse, and respond to speed limit signs via camera data.

The "speed limit gizmo" I was talking about uses map data as before. But it passes vision system data through a recognizer to allow real world speed limit signs to supplement the map data.

LostAgain

Registered Member
New Mexico, USA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I have a CH-R with both map based and camera based speed limit displays. The camera based system will pick up most speed limits and display them for a short period. The road side is quite overgrown where I drive the CH-R and the camera can't always see enough of the sign to identify it. For me it has never added value except some amusement when it picks up speed limits on off ramps while I travel past still on the highway. So the car displays two totally different speed limits for a while until the camera sourced one switches off again :rolleyes:

2021GCSGV80

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80

Just saw this article about how long shortages will last…

Rubato

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Well —— drumroll please—we picked up our Adriatic Blue/Dune 2021 Prestige yesterday.
Thanks to everyone who responded here; it can expected that owners of 21 models would have some bias of course, but I appreciated the insights from those who shared them. My wife and I also appreciated the surprise bottle of champagne brought to us at the dealership by one member here (who shall remain nameless). It was a remarkable gesture and one we shall not forget. It highlights how special it is to be an owner of a Genesis GV at this particular time.

We are in the honeymoon phase and floating on cloud-nine. Can’t wait to drive it over the next week and forward . We already got several neighbors walk by while we were parked in our driveway yesterday oogling it and saying things like “wow, is that Tiger Woods Car??” And commenting on how beautiful and unique it is.

No buyers remorse here
(At least not yet…). The car drives better than I even hoped for. Bring on the 2022’s…..

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners