• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Dealership Service Cost

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I just bugs me. They call out a spec that they don't care to meet. The exception (the asterisk) is "if the oil is not available in your country". Well, it IS available in my country - Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum are good examples.

I made the case to Genesis because they create confusion in their manual. Like I said, I'll likely settle and use the cheap stuff, but if no one ever questions it, they'll never fix it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I thought it was pretty well proven that a full synthetic was better for engines than conventional oil, especially high revving and in cold & hot climates.

Do oil makers even recommend 1 year drain intervals on conventional oil? The manual recommends that too, but again, I think they're assuming you used a full synthetic.

Do it's okay to use conventional oil and drive 7,500 miles and leave it in the engine for a year? I honestly don't know, but it sounds excessive.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Okay, I feel better now. I looked up the owner's manual for a 2016 model, and for whatever reason, Hyundai feels that the 2016 Genesis 3.8 should get "GF-4 (or above)" oil, while the Genesis G80 3.8 should get ACEA A5.

But it's the same engine! As Ed discussed, Genesis / Hyundai are just trying to meet top mpg ratings and figure that ACEA oils will help that. So they now call that out for the newer models.

Here's a cut from the 2016 owner's manual.

Attachments

elp_jc

El Paso, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Have a few related questions. First, how many quarts of oil for the G80S 3.3T then? Is it 7.3 like the G70, or 8, like somebody else posted? And is the service for 3 years included on 2020 G80s or not? I don't plan to use it, but need to know to try to negotiate a better deal. Stupid local dealer have messed up my cars EVERY time I had to take them in, so I avoid them like the plague, and do all the maintenance myself. But if I have to pay for service I won't use, I want to discount that. Or try to.

And finally, my ex Azera with the 3.3 started making horrible noises at start-up, due to having the stupid oil filter upside down on top of the engine. If it's still like that, the 3.3T would be a deal-breaker for me. I want it rightside up at the bottom of the engine, even if I have to remove belly pans to get to it. Thank you.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Have a few related questions. First, how many quarts of oil for the G80S 3.3T then? Is it 7.3 like the G70, or 8, like somebody else posted?
Oil fill is consistently 7.9 Qts. U.S. on my 2018 G80 3.3T Sport. I drain oil for +30 minutes from the lower drain plug and always change the oil filter.

I was surprised at the higher volume, with most cars I've owned being in the 5 qt. range. I suspect the engine oil being used to lube/cool the turbos is the reason for the extra oil. Would be interesting to know what the non-turbo G80 3.8 and 5.0 oil capacity is.

And finally, my ex Azera with the 3.3 started making horrible noises at start-up, due to having the stupid oil filter upside down on top of the engine. If it's still like that, the 3.3T would be a deal-breaker for me. I want it rightside up at the bottom of the engine, even if I have to remove belly pans to get to it. Thank you.
On the 2018 G80 3.3T Sport the oil filter is on the bottom of the engine. I am not convinced top side oil filter is an issue. This was how my 2011 Genesis 3.8 was configured. I put 100K miles on without any issue and it was not noisy. It also made changing the oil filter easy.

What is your hypothesis on the top side oil filter being an issue?

elp_jc

El Paso, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
What is your hypothesis on the top side oil filter being an issue?
Oil drains out of the filter overnight (gravity), even with check valves (not sure the Azera had any). So every time you start the engine cold, it takes precious time before oil pressure builds up and starts lubricating properly. And as you know, the most engine wear happens on cold starts. Anyway, the fact Hyundai changed the location from above to under the engine tells you something :). But glad to hear filter is under the engine now, like it's supposed to. Thanks.

G-769697

Synthetic oil is a scam. I've owned dozens of cars and the oil does not affect anything- never ever had an engine fail due to oil- I'll let the dealer put whatever is appropriate for my climate in my G80 Ultimate.

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Sure, a car will go 30, 40, 100k miles on conventional oil, if you've owned dozens you likely don't drive them all that many miles. It's proven that synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil.

I just want what the manual specifies.

I'm getting mine changed Monday, I'm sure they'll use conventional (the alternate oil) which is fine as long as they'll change it every six months.

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Have a few related questions. First, how many quarts of oil for the G80S 3.3T then? Is it 7.3 like the G70, or 8, like somebody else posted? And is the service for 3 years included on 2020 G80s or not? I don't plan to use it, but need to know to try to negotiate a better deal. Stupid local dealer have messed up my cars EVERY time I had to take them in, so I avoid them like the plague, and do all the maintenance myself. But if I have to pay for service I won't use, I want to discount that. Or try to.

Yes, maintenance is included on the 2020s. Good luck getting a discount if you don't use it. The dealer gets paid by Genesis to do the maintenance and to valet your car for you. So you doing your own oil changes would actually cost them money. Genesis would be the only one saving money. You're negotiating with a dealer, not Genesis.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums