Disable DRLS *HERE*

John M

It's just a Hyundai...
Milledgeville, GA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I hate DRLs and I know many of you may too. Now you can get rid of them for good in literally seconds. No wiring relays in or other involved nonsense.

1) Remove the FAM (front area module) from the underhood fuse box. Flip the lever toward the firewall and it will eject like a Nintendo cartridge (see how old I am?
😃
)

2) Break off Pin 17. I used needle nose pliers and twisted back & forth about 1/4 turn in each direction until it broke off cleanly. The pins are labeled on each end of the 3 connectors. You'll see Pin 18 clearly marked on the middle group. Go left one and that's *Pin 17*

3) Plug FAM back in. Done.

Yes it's permanent. If you or another owner wants DRLs later you can buy a new FAM for cheap on ebay. Many are $75 or less.

All we're doing with this mod is removing a ground input to that computer that tells it "this car has DRLs." You can go further than I did and remove the whole thing, find out which of the 50 wires is this one, and cut it so it's reversible. I didn't care about going that far because it's cheap enough to replace if the need ever arises.

Take your time and it'll be the easiest mod you've ever done!

This should work on Genesis sedans as well as long as they use the same FAM.

DRL disable graphic.jpg

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I hate DRLs and I know many of you may too. Now you can get rid of them for good in literally seconds. No wiring relays in or other involved nonsense.

1) Remove the FAM (front area module) from the underhood fuse box. Flip the lever toward the firewall and it will eject like a Nintendo cartridge (see how old I am?
😃
)

2) Break off Pin 17. I used needle nose pliers and twisted back & forth about 1/4 turn in each direction until it broke off cleanly. The pins are labeled on each end of the 3 connectors. You'll see Pin 18 clearly marked on the middle group. Go left one and that's *Pin 17*

3) Plug FAM back in. Done.

Yes it's permanent. If you or another owner wants DRLs later you can buy a new FAM for cheap on ebay. Many are $75 or less.

All we're doing with this mod is removing a ground input to that computer that tells it "this car has DRLs." You can go further than I did and remove the whole thing, find out which of the 50 wires is this one, and cut it so it's reversible. I didn't care about going that far because it's cheap enough to replace if the need ever arises.

Take your time and it'll be the easiest mod you've ever done!

This should work on Genesis sedans as well as long as they use the same FAM.

View attachment 42628
Curious why you hate them. I can[t see them when I'm sitting in the car, many states require them to pass inspection, they actually can have some benefit, though minimal. They don't use gas or slow performance.
If you are a spy and they would give you away, I can understand.

John M

It's just a Hyundai...
Milledgeville, GA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I would be fine with them if they were LED strips, something actually planned into the design of the car. Running the high beams (aimed directly at oncoming trafic) at 50% duty cycle is a terrible crutch.

I also disagree with the basic theory of DRLs as being "safer." When something is unusual it stands out. When it becomes the norm, it blends in. Back in the 80s the only vehicles with lights on in the daytime were school buses and ambulances and you could see them coming from the horizon. Now it all blends into the sea of visual noise. Now the only thing they're good for is stupid people who won't turn their lights on in the rain or fog, or who forget turn them on when leaving a lit parking lot.

High beam DRL systems also don't play nicely with headlight swaps. I run regular bulbs because I don't think LED bulb swaps are ready for headlight duty yet but some people like them. The stock setup hammers the high beam bulbs which should see little use each year but instead are on every second the car is driving.

People looking to disable them are some of the hottest search terms for any car website so I'm clearly not in the minority! I cross-posted this in the Genesis section where DRL removal is a lot more popular. Countless people will run into this via a google search one day and benefit from it.

Now I'm free to drive with the parking lights on, showing off the ornate ring of LEDs around the low beam projector. At least until I buy a set of KDM lights anyway!

led lit velossatech high performance big mouth ram air snorkels airscoops for your genesis
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners