• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Disable Tilt-Telescoping Steering/Enable Memory Seats

WheelerGuy

Registered Member
I've got a question that probably won't affect many users of this forum. But I'm hoping that somebody knows a guy who knows a guy who might be able to help me with my question.

I'm in a wheelchair and I need to install hand controls that operate the brakes and accelerator pedals in my newly purchased 2010 Hyundai Genesis V-6 Sedan. It has the Premium Nav package which means that it has the electronic Tilting-Telescoping Steering Column, integrated with the 2 Memory Seat functions for the Driver's seat.

The company that makes the hand controls says that in order for their hand controls to work, they have to disable the electronic Tilting-Telescoping Steering column. I can live with that part. However, they state that since the steering column is integrated with the memory seats, that the memory seats have to be disabled also.

Is there anyone out there who knows (or who can point me in the right direction of somebody who might know), how to isolate and disable the electronic tilt-telescoping steering function while keeping the memory seat functions enabled?

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
I'm not sure if there's a separate fuse for the steering column only, but I'm sure you can just cut the wire for the motor.
You can probably ask the dealer about it.
Good luck.

Dan

WheelerGuy

Registered Member
Thanks for the suggestion, Dan. I'll run it by the hand control people to see if they can at least try that while they're installing them. My thoughts are that maybe this is an integrated system whereby if you cut one wire to one part of the system, that it disables the entire system.

Are there any auto mechanics here who have worked on an integrated system like this and would know how it works?

I did ask the dealership about this and the service manager's helpful response of course was: "You have to go with what the hand control installers say. They're the experts on those things. And don't expect to get any answers by going through Hyundai. They won't tell you anything that's going to potentially void their warranty." Great. Thanks for going out of your way to look into this..... :(

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
Mount Dora FL; Penfield NY; Roswell NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks for the suggestion, Dan. I'll run it by the hand control people to see if they can at least try that while they're installing them. My thoughts are that maybe this is an integrated system whereby if you cut one wire to one part of the system, that it disables the entire system.

Are there any auto mechanics here who have worked on an integrated system like this and would know how it works?

I did ask the dealership about this and the service manager's helpful response of course was: "You have to go with what the hand control installers say. They're the experts on those things. And don't expect to get any answers by going through Hyundai. They won't tell you anything that's going to potentially void their warranty." Great. Thanks for going out of your way to look into this..... :(

I would still ask Hyundai in California. Like any manufacturer, they do not want to lose the business of anyone with a handycap. You can also ask them who do they recommend. You are not the first person who needs this, so they should be able to answer your questions.

I have a friend who does not have legs below the knees, and only one full hand. He has hand controls on both his Vette and his Accord. If they can do it, Hyundai can do it.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

WheelerGuy

Registered Member
Thanks, Rob. I have an email in to Hyundai Customer Service. Hopefully, they can put me in touch with someone who can walk me through an easy fix to this.

WheelerGuy

Registered Member
Update: The Hand Control installation company was able to install my hand controls in my Hyundai without disabling either the memory seats or the tilt/telescoping steering wheel functions. They put in the extra effort to make sure this worked for me, even though the manufacturer of the hand controls said that it wouldn't work. (They sent the manufacturer pics to show how they did it.)

I am VERY appreciative of the company that put in this extra time and effort to provide such great service. Hyundai Service Dept put in a very small effort, but even saying that is being kind to them.

If you ever need hand controls, contact Jill or Rick at Driving Specialties in Rancho Cordova, CA. No, this is not a paid plug for them. I'm just very appreciative of the extra effort that they put in for me and hoping this helps out other people in similar situations.

ASHDUMP

Registered Member
Update: The Hand Control installation company was able to install my hand controls in my Hyundai without disabling either the memory seats or the tilt/telescoping steering wheel functions. They put in the extra effort to make sure this worked for me, even though the manufacturer of the hand controls said that it wouldn't work. (They sent the manufacturer pics to show how they did it.)

I am VERY appreciative of the company that put in this extra time and effort to provide such great service. Hyundai Service Dept put in a very small effort, but even saying that is being kind to them.

If you ever need hand controls, contact Jill or Rick at Driving Specialties in Rancho Cordova, CA. No, this is not a paid plug for them. I'm just very appreciative of the extra effort that they put in for me and hoping this helps out other people in similar situations.

I'm glad you got everything you wanted and more from the installation company. I'm also glad you posted your questions and solutions here so maybe other people that are thinking about getting a Genesis that is in need of hand controls will have this for reference.

This has been a great bit of information that you've contributed. I hope you can stick around the forums and contribute more!!! :D

WheelerGuy

Registered Member
Thank you very much! I will!