• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Disappointed--2015 Ultimate

the_kid_hartford

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Hi All
Just brought home a 2015 Ultimate w/23k miles from Carmax. Two problems that they are going to have to try and fix.

1. Knock sound from front driver side suspension which I am sure is air shock. Dealer heard this too on test drive.
2 car is shaking badly at acceleration between 15 and 30 mph and at 50-60 mph. Did not feel it on test drive. it is VERY noticeable.

Carmax wrote up the knock sound and wheels needing refinishing and added the shaking issue after I called Sales Adviser.

On the good side the car is beautiful and getting a lot of looks. It might ride better than my A8L.

I hope they are able to fix these correctly and quickly.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Might have been a better idea to not take delivery or pay the balance owing on the car before these issues are corrected. Leverage is a great motivator! Hopefully they are prepared for repairing properly. I've got the 2015 5.0 ultimate (Canadian AWD version) and it has electronic adaptive suspension that changes performance using computer inputs. Apparently each strut is around $1000 so hopefully it's not as you say "air shock" if that's what your model has!

the_kid_hartford

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Might have been a better idea to not take delivery or pay the balance owing on the car before these issues are corrected. Leverage is a great motivator! Hopefully they are prepared for repairing properly. I've got the 2015 5.0 ultimate (Canadian AWD version) and it has electronic adaptive suspension that changes performance using computer inputs. Apparently each strut is around $1000 so hopefully it's not as you say "air shock" if that's what your model has!
My A8L was having major issues and I'll leave at that. I already spoke with GM at Carmax and will do it again tomorrow to express my sincere disappointment and expectation that this is fixed.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

the_kid_hartford

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
What does it mean for them to “write up” the issues? Did they say they would fix it at no cost? When you bought it, isn’t it on an “as is” basis? If you are still within the timeframe I assume you could return it. How long has it been?
It's a repair order. The dealership has written up on paper the issues that they will fix.

Carmax 7 day return policy

DSXMachina

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

the_kid_hartford

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Be sure to post the diagnosis and repairs for those issues please!
Funny you should post that. Service called me today after I dropped off car this morning.
Control arm bushing is causing knock sound AND acceleration issue.
I don't know alot about cars but how can a circular peice of rubber in a suspension component cause acceleration stuttering??
The Service tech and Sales Manager both said it could but since my car is still under factory that they sent it to Hyundai today to get bushings fixed that they would let dealership know to diagnose that a well........ any thoughts??

the_kid_hartford

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
How these problems got past their rigorous inspections we can only guess. CarMax is one tough customer when it comes to evaluating cars before THEY buy them, and again before they go on the lot.
This will end well, one way or another.
My conversation with GM tomorrow will be about that "rigorous" inspection. I expect it to be reinspected.

DSXMachina

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

the_kid_hartford

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Control arm bushing failure is usually a wear/mileage related problem. It is virtually unknown at your mileage. There is no connection between control arm bushing failure and acceleration, unless you possibly are referring to a clunk noise issue.
Yes it is a clunking sound in front driver side issue.