Disaster has struck!

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
A mere three weeks after buying a 2015 5.0, I took it in for warranty replacement of the backup camera and I think they botched the job because they tell me my head unit has failed. They said something about the backup camera shorting out the head unit. Is this even possible? Surely a competent mechanic would disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work?
So now I have no idea how long it will take to get the car back.
The head unit was working just fine when I brought it in. WTF?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
A mere three weeks after buying a 2015 5.0, I took it in for warranty replacement of the backup camera and I think they botched the job because they tell me my head unit has failed. They said something about the backup camera shorting out the head unit. Is this even possible? Surely a competent mechanic would disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work?
So now I have no idea how long it will take to get the car back.
The head unit was working just fine when I brought it in. WTF?
The camera does go through the head unit so yes, I'd say it is possible. Was it the old camera taking out or the new one going in that was the problem? Don't know enough about the setup to say of the mechanic was competent or not in how he proceeded or if the new camera was damaged in shipment. You would think it is just a plug in that could be done with the battery live and ignition off.
Is this covered under warranty? If so, the good news is you get a new head unit, though a PITA waiting for it.

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The camera does go through the head unit so yes, I'd say it is possible. Was it the old camera taking out or the new one going in that was the problem? Don't know enough about the setup to say of the mechanic was competent or not in how he proceeded or if the new camera was damaged in shipment. You would think it is just a plug in that could be done with the battery live and ignition off.
Is this covered under warranty? If so, the good news is you get a new head unit, though a PITA waiting for it.

I have a Ford warranty and the dealership put in a claim, and an inspector for the warranty went and looked at the car, I think, yesterday.

I have no idea what the dealer did with the car. All I know is that it was working fine when I dropped it off.

How long would it take to get a new head unit? It looks pretty easy to install and remove. There is a video on youtube showing how it’s done. But there appear to be horror stories about how long it takes just to get the unit and it scares me.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have a Ford warranty and the dealership put in a claim, and an inspector for the warranty went and looked at the car, I think, yesterday.

I have no idea what the dealer did with the car. All I know is that it was working fine when I dropped it off.

How long would it take to get a new head unit? It looks pretty easy to install and remove. There is a video on youtube showing how it’s done. But there appear to be horror stories about how long it takes just to get the unit and it scares me.
I had mine replace a few years ago. Either the dealer had it or was able to get it withing the few days of my appointment. That was when the 2015 was a couple of years old so they may not keep one around now.

I know I waited for the car and it was not long, maybe 60 to 90 minutes or so.

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Dealerships cannot stock head units. Hyundai ships them out FedEx 2 day express. As long as they are ordered by 6pm pacific time, they'll be to the dealer in 2 business days. Very rarely do I have one go on backorder.

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Dealerships cannot stock head units. Hyundai ships them out FedEx 2 day express. As long as they are ordered by 6pm pacific time, they'll be to the dealer in 2 business days. Very rarely do I have one go on backorder.

Ok, thanks. That’s good to know. The dealer was nice enough to give me a loaner but I miss my car. It rocks.

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
You have a Ford warranty? Is Ford doing the work? If so, makes sense how this could happen.

Ford aftermarket warranty. Hyundai is doing the work.

I don’t have experience with Fords, other than my Extremely awesome CVPI. It needed almost no unscheduled mainetenance in 11 years. It was like a tank.

adamg

Hasn't posted much yet...
Saskatoon, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Definitely shoddy backup cameras in these cars. Mine also had to be replaced on warranty. Hyundai should extend the warranty on the backup cameras due to known defect.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It stops working prematurely in the life cycle of the vehicle.
Aside from normal wear items, that covers everything in the vehicle. . In general, Hyundai/Genesis warrants them longer than other makes with 5/60.

Chevy is 3/36
Ford is 3/36
BMW is 4/50
Lexus is 4/50
VW is 6/72

I think you'd have to prove some design or manufacturing anomaly to get more.

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Agree.
A lot of the older Bosch anti-lock brake modules failed due to bad soldering. For a while, a guy set up a business in North Dakota to repair them for only $250, instead of the ridiculous OEM price of $700.
If there was a systematic defect in these Huundai cameras, you would think there would be a similar deal with an entrepreneur.

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The camera's aren't that bad that they would extend the warranty or recall them. We are the #1 selling and servicing Genesis dealer in the central region, and of all the different part numbers for the 2015+ Genesis (4 different part #'s), I've only sold 3 since we've been open (March 2015), and 1 of those did not fix it (it ended up being a short in the floor harness). So it's not that common of a problem on the Genesis. We sell a lot more of the ones on the Sonata, Elantra, and Santa Fe, but there are also a lot more of them on the road too.

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Well, the Ford Warranty denied the claim, and the dealership is refusing to accept responsibility for breaking the head unit so I guess I have to sue the dealership for negligence. God, this sucks.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well, the Ford Warranty denied the claim, and the dealership is refusing to accept responsibility for breaking the head unit so I guess I have to sue the dealership for negligence. God, this sucks.
Can you sue both at the same time in small claims? Obviously, either the dealer did it and is responsible or it was defective and the warranty company is responsible to pay. Then a judge could decide on one of them. Did they give a reason for the denial?

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Can you sue both at the same time in small claims? Obviously, either the dealer did it and is responsible or it was defective and the warranty company is responsible to pay. Then a judge could decide on one of them. Did they give a reason for the denial?

Nope, cannot sue the warranty provider. I'm stuck in binding arbitration with the warranty company. At least it's only $50 to file a claim with them.

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Aside from normal wear items, that covers everything in the vehicle. . In general, Hyundai/Genesis warrants them longer than other makes with 5/60.

Chevy is 3/36
Ford is 3/36
BMW is 4/50
Lexus is 4/50
VW is 6/72

I think you'd have to prove some design or manufacturing anomaly to get more.

Effective with 2020 models VW’s warranty is 4/50,000. Ya gotta wonder too why Ford and GM haven’t offered at least a 4 year warranty.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Ya gotta wonder too why Ford and GM haven’t offered at least a 4 year warranty.

Simple, Costs money to do that. Especially if your product is somewhat less than dependable

PMCErnie

Ancient ‘steemed Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Simple, Costs money to do that. Especially if your product is somewhat less than dependable

No, it isn’t that simple. Hyundai’s were not particularly impressive when the 10/100,000 warranty was born.

Costs money? No kiddin’. That’s what the business world is all about.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums