Door Pillar Scratch

Thread starter #1

rickyg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
on the 2018 G80, the black shiney "plastic" door pillar has a small scratch on it (don't know how it happened). I am agraid to use a compound on it.... does anyone have experience with trying to remove them?

Thread starter #6

rickyg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
actually i haven't tried it because the car has been at the body shop (( a deer hit me - $7K damage - ouch!) and the body shop said they would try to get it out.

Mad_Max

Hasn't posted much yet...
I don't know the part you're talking about, Don't own a G80, but a lot of these back areas on door pillars is actually a vinyl wrap, not paint. Using compound or polishes on vinyl is a bad idea...

lou1119

Hasn't posted much yet...
California
I don't know the part you're talking about, Don't own a G80, but a lot of these back areas on door pillars is actually a vinyl wrap, not paint. Using compound or polishes on vinyl is a bad idea...
The door pillars on the Genesis are plastic coated metal. You are correct that many on cheaper cars are a vinyl wrap but not the case on a Genesis. Plastic polish may work but don't apply too much pressure and be sure to use a quality micro fiber cloth to apply and buff or you will multiply the number of scratches

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
That's correct they are ABS plastic over metal. I've utilized the polish myself before and there is no danger of causing scratching, unless you go crazy with the polish or attempt to apply it with a polisher. Meguiars PlastX polish is designed specifically to remove scratches in all types of plastics. None of the door pillars on any Genesis are vinyl wrapped, so it's a moot point.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.