Driver seat backing detached

loudmax20

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have a 2015 and mine has done the same thing. I can't seem to figure out a way to get it back on. Its headed to the dealer tomorrow for a service and I was going to ask them to look at it.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Here is the schematic of the drivers back;

There are hook clips on the bottom and push in clip on the top. I would imagine the top push clips either not fully engaged or broken off. Please do take it to the dealer and let them replace it. They aren't inexpensive at $427.00 a piece.

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Let me guess. Part #7 in the diagram, and the clips themselves are not available separately?

loudmax20

Genesis Model Type
My dealer said the top clips are broken and are going to order a new back and will replace it under warranty, they also said I wasn't the first one to come in with this issue.

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
^^^ Ding ding ding!

I have had this happen to me. The plastic tabs on part #7 were broken right off. There are two metal pieces that slide under those plastic tabs and push into the frame of the seat. That is how the entire back piece is attached to the seat.

I went to the dealer and they asked for $850 for part #7. I said screw that. I fixed it myself by drilling two small holes on the broken tab housings. Put a zip-tie thru the hole and around the metal pieces and tightened. Lined up the metal pieces with the locations on the frame of the seat and pushed them in. It has been a SOLID fix for a while now.

If you need to access the internals of your seat, I don't see how you access them without breaking those plastic tabs. Seems like a design flaw.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
It seems like Hyundai sells the Genesis as an discount luxury sedan, but charges full luxury prices like their competitors for replacement parts for this car. I looked at the seat back and other part costs; which are very expensive. $400 for a plastic seat back? Wow.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
^^^ Ding ding ding!

I have had this happen to me. The plastic tabs on part #7 were broken right off. There are two metal pieces that slide under those plastic tabs and push into the frame of the seat. That is how the entire back piece is attached to the seat.

I went to the dealer and they asked for $850 for part #7. I said screw that. I fixed it myself by drilling two small holes on the broken tab housings. Put a zip-tie thru the hole and around the metal pieces and tightened. Lined up the metal pieces with the locations on the frame of the seat and pushed them in. It has been a SOLID fix for a while now.

If you need to access the internals of your seat, I don't see how you access them without breaking those plastic tabs. Seems like a design flaw.
Not sure why you'd have done that. They are a warranty item and covered under the factory warranty. Unless of course you're out of the factory warranty already.

fonque

Hasn't posted much yet...
MD
Genesis Model Type
I have my car in the shop right now for this very same issue. The service dept told me that hyundai is denying the warranty claim because it appears that someone has applied an outside force and broke the seat. how can I get the warranty to cover this, I am still within my 60K.

the.tru.albertan

Genesis Model Type
^ The only reason it would break is from outside force. The plastic tabs are weak and they are attached to the metal frame of the seat. It would be very easy for them to deny warranty for this just because of the design of it. Certainly crappy but I have no idea how to convince them otherwise to get warranty applied.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have my car in the shop right now for this very same issue. The service dept told me that hyundai is denying the warranty claim because it appears that someone has applied an outside force and broke the seat. how can I get the warranty to cover this, I am still within my 60K.
Go to another dealer. Call Hyundai customer service and file a dealer complaint on the problem, not Genesis.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Last edited:

Christina

I took mine into today. 30,000 km. Denied warranty repair.

Literally no one has ever sat in the passenger seat behind driver seat. There was definitely no force.

I’m gong to see if there is any technical bulletin on this issue. If it breaks that easily, it’s a design flaw.

I left furious.

Christina

My dealer said the top clips are broken and are going to order a new back and will replace it under warranty, they also said I wasn't the first one to come in with this issue.
What dealer did you go to? Mine is denying it’s warranty because I caused the damage.

the.tru.albertan

Genesis Model Type
Even in the OP pic, I can see the metal pieces that slide under the plastic tabs are still pushed into the seat frame slot.

The tabs all break at the exact same spot. It's a straight up design flaw. Word of advice - don't use the seat back pocket. Opening it up and holding it causes stress on the plastic tabs against the metal mounted pieces. They WILL break. I can see in OP pic that they have stuff in the seat pocket so we know that they had to have that pocket held open to put the stuff in.

Mine broke because a passenger held the seat pocket open. While holding it open to put stuff into the pocket, the top tabs broke.

LakeHarvester

Genesis Model Type
This just happened to me. I know the condition that caused the failure in my case. My daily drive consists mostly of winding back roads that would be perfect for filming car commercials. I was in a tight curve under a heavier than normal side load when I felt it. It felt to me like there was something in the seat back pocket that slid from one side to the other. After getting home I noticed it. Both of the plastic retaining clip holders were sheared off. Nothing was in the seat back pocket.

This forum has been an excellent resource. I found this thread today and went with the 5 cent zip tie repair @the.tru.albertan posted. That had her all fixed up in a just a few minutes. Warranty is great if 1) It is covered by warranty and 2) You don't mind the hassle of leaving the car with the dealer for a day or two (which I do). Thanks again Albertan!

Now for my rant: I think I may be asking too much from this car. I was not cornering like I would in a Porsche! I bought this car to replace a Toyota Avalon. The Genesis is many times better at handling than the Avalon ever was. But if I need to drive it the same to keep things from breaking I would go back to the Toyota for the reliability. The Avalon was 10 years of only changing oil, tires, and brakes. My experience with the Genesis have not been great in that department. For having only 37,000 miles my car is no stranger to the dealer. Perhaps it's only my expectations for the Genesis need to be re-calibrated.

Before:

After: (y)

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Interesting post as I have a broken seat back too, but mine is not nearly as bad as yours. It's been like this for probably 8 years and I think the back was broken when I had my heated/cooled seat repaired maybe? I'm not exactly sure, but the switch was shorting out and they repaired the issue, but I don't really now what was involved in the repair and if the back of the seat was removed.

I'll look into fixing mine myself this summer.