• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Driver seat issues and dealership woes

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So, I just hit 600 miles and my driver seat started grinding when moving forward and rearward. I checked underneath including the motor and screw drive but didnt see anything rubbing or stuck. So, I scheduled a warranty diagnosis with my local dealership and they offered me a shuttle ride... what?! No loaner? They said sorry no, we dont have one available and that service is reserved for scheduled maintenance only. Valet service? Nope, they dont support that.

No other dealership within 50 miles. This was what I was afraid of. I bought a luxury car for luxury experience not the same old B.S. rentals and shuttles. This totally conflicts with the sales pitch. Also, a grinding seat at only 600 miles? Come on man!

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I called the service manager this morning who apologized and indicated that the staff should know about the Genesis program. Said I will have a loaner. Did not mention the valet which is fine because I'd rather not have someone else drive my car anyway.

There seems to be an attitude with this dealership that they arent too enthused with the Genesis brand. This is the same place who's sales manager told me flat out that "...it ain't gonna happen" in response to setting up a stand alone facility. He said Genesis wants a palace but they arent going to comply and eventually Genesis will cave and allow them to continue selling the cars at their Hyundai dealership. Lol they only have 2 Genesis cars, so my guess is that they will be de-certified or will just give up their Genesis cert.

Piz

Registered Member
Connecticut
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sorry to hear about your issues Cgo, hope they get it taken care of quick and right.

Last week Stamford Hyundai gave me a G90 5.0 loaner (hella sweet!) for my 6K mile service (oil change, cabin filter, rotate tires). I asked how it's going with the valet service, dude said they're busy all the time. I was like really? Don't see too many Genesis on the road. He explained they are one of the few dealerships in CT who have opted to support valet service so they're regularly providing this service to owners up to ~50 miles away.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Review, review, review. BBB, Yelp, their website, anywhere you can put it. All too often nobody gives a shit about you until you start telling everyone else about your bad experience

Piz

Registered Member
Connecticut
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There seems to be an attitude with this dealership that they arent too enthused with the Genesis brand. This is the same place who's sales manager told me flat out that "...it ain't gonna happen" in response to setting up a stand alone facility.
This reminds me, when I started G70 shopping in January I went to Balise Hyundai. The manager came out and told me there are no G70's available anywhere in the area, and anyone who tells me otherwise is lying. He was not interested in taking down my info to contact me when they get some! A few days later I go online and see there are plenty of G70 for sale in CT, NY, NJ. WTF. Going out on a limb here, but I'm betting Balise hasn't agreed to build a separate Genesis dealership by 2020 or whatever the timeline is.

Note, I wasn't serious about the G70 at that time, so hadn't done my research, was just passing by the dealership and wanted to sit in one.

Edit: Manager had added that the G70s are all stuck at the shipping ports, waiting for release. No one can get them. Um...

jaymatt

Registered Member
New Jersey
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That is some straight up BS that they are treating you like that. I called my dealer yesterday to make a warranty service appointment for my mis-aimed headlights (I am at 900 miles). They offered several valet service appointment options. Since the dealership is on my way to work, I elected to drop the car off myself and pick up a loaner, and the service person seemed genuinely disappointed that I was not using the valet service. She also said "Just so you know, all our loaners are Genesis models, but you might get a G80, is that ok?" Umm...yes that will be fine thanks! This was Genesis of Cherry Hill in Marlton, NJ. Where are you located?
I live in the area and bought my G70 from the same dealership. I've seen just 2 other G70s in the last 3-4 weeks or so. Both SI, one of which was driven by a lady who I did go and talk to. Funnily enough both times I saw the G70s was at the CVS on Kresson.

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

RoyG70

Registered Member
Manassas, Virginia
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's disappointing to hear about experiences like yours. I, like you, bought a luxury car (my first) for the luxury experience and expect Genesis to deliver on what they promised. My only experience so far (at 3k miles) is that I had the dealer fix a small scratch I noticed when I purchased the car, and they provided me an Elantra loaner. I didn't complain about it at the time, because I still had my other leased ca,r and just drove that for two days, but when I do scheduled maintenance or have warranty service, I expect to use the Valet service without issue.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, one of the hesitations I had was this whole roll out, Hyundai dealership thing. I've owned luxury cars in the past and always had a loaner of the same or higher level waiting, warmed up, and coffee or water ready for me. It's one of those extra perks that seems pretentious but nice none the less when opting to spend the premium on a Luxury vehicle.

I dont think we will see the same extras and treatment until stand alone Genesis dealerships are established if that even comes to fruition.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, one of the hesitations I had was this whole roll out, Hyundai dealership thing. I've owned luxury cars in the past and always had a loaner of the same or higher level waiting, warmed up, and coffee or water ready for me. It's one of those extra perks that seems pretentious but nice none the less when opting to spend the premium on a Luxury vehicle.

I dont think we will see the same extras and treatment until stand alone Genesis dealerships are established if that even comes to fruition.
Unfortunately, you're probably right in that regard. Why fill your loaner fleet with luxury cars when most people coming in for them are Hyundai owners, right? Having a "Genesis customer only" fleet on the side would cost extra money and lot space.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Called to drop off my G70 for a radio boot loop issue. They were hesitant to offer a loaner also...had to have the service manager approve it!

Then mentioned they'd be sure to quote me the cost to fix it before starting the work o_O
Did you tell them you would quote them the cost to valet your own car and process their paperwork?

lopedogg

Registered Member
BC, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
That Valet service sure sounds nice, I bought a used Genny partially because i knew it would never see a dealer. I am in Canada and the nearest regular Hyundai dealer is 250 miles away. Doesn't make me like the car any less, never cared much for dealers anyway.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Called to drop off my G70 for a radio boot loop issue. They were hesitant to offer a loaner also...had to have the service manager approve it!

Then mentioned they'd be sure to quote me the cost to fix it before starting the work o_O
They told me the same thing about my seat issue. Said they would quote me for repair. I reminded them that the car has 600 miles on it... they indicated that they have to assess and then wait to see if Genesis will approve a warranty claim. A ten year warranty is great for selling cars, but I'm starting to think that they scrutinize everything. No telling what theyll approve or disapprove.

This mixed with the loaner and valet issues is not a good way to win over BMW, Audi, Lexus, or Mercedes buyers. Unless they fully embrace the Luxury vehicle concept, they're not going to succeed. They're already at a disadvantage with lack of brand panache, lack of dealerships, and an already dying market of sedans. At the very least, they need to get the dealerships in line and on board with the concept and customer service.

Regor60

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
They told me the same thing about my seat issue. Said they would quote me for repair. I reminded them that the car has 600 miles on it... they indicated that they have to assess and then wait to see if Genesis will approve a warranty claim. A ten year warranty is great for selling cars, but I'm starting to think that they scrutinize everything. No telling what theyll approve or disapprove.

This mixed with the loaner and valet issues is not a good way to win over BMW, Audi, Lexus, or Mercedes buyers. Unless they fully embrace the Luxury vehicle concept, they're not going to succeed. They're already at a disadvantage with lack of brand panache, lack of dealerships, and an already dying market of sedans. At the very least, they need to get the dealerships in line and on board with the concept and customer service.
I would shit all over those guys when you pick your car up. Make them remember you. But that's just me...I make sure they walk away just as pissed as they made me

mkozlows

Registered Member
I will say, this isn't just a Genesis thing. When I was looking at the Giulia, the salesman there mentioned that they give you a loaner if you need service, but that their loaner fleet was mostly Chrysler minivans.

LD5050

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
...sales manager told me flat out that "...it ain't gonna happen" in response to setting up a stand alone facility. He said Genesis wants a palace but they arent going to comply and eventually Genesis will cave and allow them to continue selling the cars at their Hyundai dealership.
If nothing else, I would contact Genesis corporate and relay what that sales manager told you. If he truly speaks for the dealership, they can speed up the de-certification process. If he doesn’t, they need to fire him.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums