Driver's Window Erratic

trespinosranch

Registered Member
Gilroy, CA
Interesting problem today. I cracked my driver's window a couple of inches. A few minutes later I went to raise it and it would only go up a quarter of an inch and then down a half inch. Tried to lower it and it would only go down a half inch. Didn't matter if I touched & released the button or held it up or down.

Tried this several times with the same result. So I pulled over and turned off the engine and restarted it and got the same results. By now the window was almost completely down.

Luckily the dealer was only a mile away. I demonstrated the problem to the SA and she went inside to write up a work order. She thought the window may be off track or an electrical issue.

While she was inside I turned the engine off & on again and this time the window went up. If it didn't the car would not be driveable. We get a lot of rain in the South and I would never have been able to park it anywhere without fear of someone going inside.

I tested the window a few more times and it seems o.k.

I'll keep my appointment for next week, but I'm afraid it will be one of those wasted 2-3 hours with an unable to replicate statement on the work order. I did tell the SA to indicate on the order that she witnessed the issue.

Last edited:

balfor

Registered Member
CA
a similar thing happened to me but it was the front passenger window. it was hot and I hit auto on both front windows to get the heat out of the car when starting out. My driver's window went all the way down but the passenger window only went one inch down and stopped. Thinking I did not press the switch hard enough to activate auto down I hit the switch again and same thing, only traveled one inch down. I found even holding the switch down would result in the window moving only one inch and stopping even with the switch held. Going back up it was the same thing.

I was scared the window would not go up at all so i hit the switch a few times to get it back closed. The next time I started the car it worked perfectly (of course), so I did not bother to set an appointment.

Definitely annoying but as long as it does not happen again I'm not sure what the service guys will say.

trespinosranch

Registered Member
Gilroy, CA
Yep, exactly a similar occurrence. I'll further test all the windows this weekend and if I can't "replicate" I'll probably cancel the appointment. I don't really want them tearing off the door panel or screwing with anything electrical only to tell me that no problems were found.

trespinosranch

Registered Member
Gilroy, CA
Driver's window seems to be fine now. But while checking all the windows I discovered the left rear passenger window is not working. I've probably never used it before and I just now discovered the defect. I tried the reset procedure listed in the manual and that was no help. Right rear is o.k.

marinakorp

Registered Member
Driver's window seems to be fine now. But while checking all the windows I discovered the left rear passenger window is not working. I've probably never used it before and I just now discovered the defect. I tried the reset procedure listed in the manual and that was no help. Right rear is o.k.

It may be the switch in the drivers door... you say the left rear passenger doesn't work?

1 - check to see that the window locks aren't turned on...
2 - check to see that the window switch in the rear has the same issue...

if the driver can not activate the rear... but the rear can...then the fault may be in the drivers switch assembly (rain water getting in paying tolls, etc)...

if both the driver an the rear are having problems... then it may be the window rrgulator / motor..etc.

celltech

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
I have something wonky going on in my master switch as well. Front drivers window won't work for a while and then suddenly it comes to life. Then I noticed it seems the drivers rear is also acting sleepy as well. And it seems like when one starts working then they all are ok?

I wish something would just blow up and totally quit so I can get Hyundai to replace it and be done with whack-a-window.

trespinosranch

Registered Member
Gilroy, CA
It may be the switch in the drivers door... you say the left rear passenger doesn't work?

1 - check to see that the window locks aren't turned on...
2 - check to see that the window switch in the rear has the same issue...

if the driver can not activate the rear... but the rear can...then the fault may be in the drivers switch assembly (rain water getting in paying tolls, etc)...

if both the driver an the rear are having problems... then it may be the window rrgulator / motor..etc.
Both switches, drivers & left rear passenger, don't operate the window.

It doesn't make any difference if the child lock switch is on. The driver can still operate all windows....unless there is a defect.

marinakorp

Registered Member
Both switches, drivers & left rear passenger, don't operate the window.

It doesn't make any difference if the child lock switch is on. The driver can still operate all windows....unless there is a defect.
Then it sounds like you have a problem with the window / motor ... instead of a switch problem.

If one operated the window.. and not the other...then it would / could be a switch problem.

if both fail to operate, very rare that both switches are bad. Not impossible.

On my G1 - thought If I put the locks on (there is a button on the drivers door) ... even I couldn't operate the other windows ...with the button engaged.... ill go check.

TroyK

Registered Member
all four of my windows can get wonky at times and not react to your input, especially when it's cold outside. and it doesn't matter if i use the button on the driver's door, or the buttons on the other doors. usually if i just pull up on the switch on my driver's door, that seems to activate something and they'll work. hasn't been enough of a consistent problem yet for me to complain to the service tech.

MikeyTG

Registered Member
Joisey
I had an inoperable window plus another that was intermittent on an older car, they fixed the dead one and said that a bad window can make other windows act up. Sure enough the window that was intermittent never failed again.

mo1sk8

Hasn't posted much yet...
New Jersey
I had the same thing happen to me. The windows would go up or down a few inches.. or window doesn't respond to switch....

There is a way to RESET your power windows.
1) The Engine Start/Stop button should be in the ON position.
2) Close the window and continue pulling up on the power window switch for at least one second

This has worked for me. (Happened twice) Hope this helps.

Munch520

Registered Member
Midwest/SW FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
A few old Audis used to do this to me all the time, motor replacement in that door solved the problem back then IIRC.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
This just happened to me today. Driver's window would only go up and down by about an inch. Tried restarting the car to see if it'll reset it but no go. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.