Drivetrain Noise - TSB 09-SS-002

mcginnpm

Registered Member
Member GENESIS380 mentioned TSB 09-SS-002 in the "Support for suspension issues" thread when the TSB hit the street on 8/13/09. I didn't see it noted here or elsewhere on the forum, so thought I'd add it to the TSB section.

The TSB (attached here) adds an "isolation washer" at the rear wheel hub bearings to resolve a noise issue. Applicable to 4.6's before 16 Feb 09 and 3.8's before 12 May 09.

If you are getting a driveshaft "snap" noise when driving forward or reverse, you might bring this up with your service department.

Attachments

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Member GENESIS380 mentioned TSB 09-SS-002 in the "Support for suspension issues" thread when the TSB hit the street on 8/13/09. I didn't see it noted here or elsewhere on the forum, so thought I'd add it to the TSB section.

The TSB (attached here) adds an "isolation washer" at the rear wheel hub bearings to resolve a noise issue. Applicable to 4.6's before 16 Feb 09 and 3.8's before 12 May 09.

If you are getting a driveshaft "snap" noise when driving forward or reverse, you might bring this up with your service department.
Interesting that the "isolation washer" is plastic. Not easy to install from what I can tell by looking at the TSB.

crupp

Been here awhile...
Atlanta, GA
I get a snap type noise when I put the car in reverse. it is a quick noise and only happens once. I notice every morning because the car is in the garage. Is this what this TSB is referring to?

Calvin

Been here awhile...
Sarasota FL
Is it just me or does the TSB seem to change cars in mid-instruction???? Step 5 suddenly shows removal of drum brakes and not a disc rotor??? I did not look at the 3.8 but I believe it has disc's all around just like the 4.6. Maybe the Canadian model uses drum brakes in the rear. I'm confused!

Calvin

Been here awhile...
Sarasota FL
Ok, foget my last entry! The drum brake assembly must be for the parking brake. Thats nice to know since in an emergency we have a totally seperate back up braking system for the rear wheels, cool!!!

mcginnpm

Registered Member
I'm guessing that "SOP" means "start of production".

To my knowledge the vehicles produced and purchased in 2008 are still considered to be 2009 models. It would make sense that a fix to an issue would be applicable back to the beginning of production, particularly with such a new model.

So, in that case, I'd interpret the TSB to be applicable to your Genny. Of course, if it's not making any noise, its probably nothing to worry about, at least for now.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I'm guessing that "SOP" means "start of production".

To my knowledge the vehicles produced and purchased in 2008 are still considered to be 2009 models. It would make sense that a fix to an issue would be applicable back to the beginning of production, particularly with such a new model.

So, in that case, I'd interpret the TSB to be applicable to your Genny. Of course, if it's not making any noise, its probably nothing to worry about, at least for now.
The date of production on my car would qualify it for the TSB. However, my car does not make any strange noises. I carefully looked at the instructions on how to implement the TSB (which is fairly difficult install) and I would be very concerned about them putting everything back together correctly, so I don't plan on having it done unless I hear the noise. I definitely don't want to be first one to have it done at my dealer.

awsdean

Hasn't posted much yet...
I would like to thank you for posting information about this TSB. It described exactly what was happening to me. A "snap" noise when I was backing out of parking. Almost like you ran over a stick. It would only happen once. It was not consistent but seemed to happen more when I turned the wheel hard while backing up. I thought it was going to be one of those things you could never explain when taking it in for service. Especially since I could not control when it happened. Thanks again for this post and to all the others that take the time to post. This was my first experience with any issue on my Genesis (25,000 milies).

Note - Took a copy of the TSB in to my dealer in Cincinnati. Didn't question it at all. Told me it would take awhile and to schedule the following week and he would give me a loaner for the day. Came in for the appointment and they gave me a new 2010 Genesis (less than 3,000) miles to drive. Only had it back for a short while but have not experienced the noise.

Great first experience with an issue on the car.

ExMBZowner

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have a 2010 Genesis V-8 . at about 6000 miles I noticed a noise and a vibration from under the console when the car was on load. My dealer found a service bulletin about this and replaced the drive shaft. About 3000 miles later the noise returned with the vibration, and they tell me they want to replace the drive shaft again. The only problem is Hyundai is out of replacement drive shafts. Makes me wonder if this is a bigger problem that they make out. Anyone else had this issue? I love my Genesis it's fast and more comfortable to drive than any other car I have owned. I would have throught this would have been a recall issue.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I have a 2010 Genesis V-8 . at about 6000 miles I noticed a noise and a vibration from under the console when the car was on load. My dealer found a service bulletin about this and replaced the drive shaft. About 3000 miles later the noise returned with the vibration, and they tell me they want to replace the drive shaft again. The only problem is Hyundai is out of replacement drive shafts. Makes me wonder if this is a bigger problem that they make out. Anyone else had this issue? I love my Genesis it's fast and more comfortable to drive than any other car I have owned. I would have throught this would have been a recall issue.
I have heard of this a few times. I think I remeber the drive shaft change and also something about different bushings. It must be a problem only on a few cars. Seems like a supplier sent some out of spec parts to Hyundai and they were used in assembly before the problem was found.