• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Driving feel of 3.8 RWD vs 3.8 HTRAC?

Skeezix

Registered Member
I wasn't sure whether to post this under the G80 section, or the 2015-2016 Hyundai Genesis section.

There was a recent review on YouTube of a G80 owner who had some less than seller things to say about the HTRAC system on a 3.8 G80.
I'm hoping someone can advise between the driving feel of the 3.8 RWD and 3.8 HTRAC models? Do you think the HTRAC is intrusive or makes the car handle differently?

I'm trying to decide if I need the HTRAC system, or if I can get away without it, but I'm also curious if it affects the driving dynamics of the G80.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I wasn't sure whether to post this under the G80 section, or the 2015-2016 Hyundai Genesis section.

There was a recent review on YouTube of a G80 owner who had some less than seller things to say about the HTRAC system on a 3.8 G80.
I'm hoping someone can advise between the driving feel of the 3.8 RWD and 3.8 HTRAC models? Do you think the HTRAC is intrusive or makes the car handle differently?

I'm trying to decide if I need the HTRAC system, or if I can get away without it, but I'm also curious if it affects the driving dynamics of the G80.
Keep in mind some people would bitch that it is too heavy if you gave them a solid gold bar. I don't know what was said that it is intrusive.

Do you need/want it? Are you in the snow belt? If you never see snow it is not needed, but if you do, it sure makes a difference for me. I used to go up a long hill on my way to work and would easily go past cars stuck and slipping.

I've not had any negative handling but I may not be driving the way the particular review does that you saw. Don't rely on one person's comments, be sure to listen to others.

Skeezix

Registered Member
Understood - and thank you.
I am trying to gather as much data as possible, from as many folks as possible, as I've never owned a genesis.

Additionally, I'm unable to send PMs to other forum members, and do not want to clutter the forums.

omegafiler

Getting familiar with the group...
TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I haven't found the handling dynamics of the G80's RWD vs AWD to be drastically different. Back to back, you'll feel the added weight up front with AWD. But Genesis has done such a good job with keep handling neutral, you don't really suffer from the usual understeer and sloppy handling you may expect.

It's a heavy vehicle regardless, which will continue to be the biggest negative in terms of overall handling. In particular when you're pushing the limits.

As already noted, if you want or need AWD, you'll miss it if you skip that feature. Test drives are important. Personally, I like AWD even for non-snow events. Nothing like having all four wheels assisting with forward traction in any adverse weather condition.

ETERNAL1906

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have 2015 3.8 HTRAC Genesis and for the most part notice no discernible difference from the RWD to the AWD in performance. The main difference is the gas mileage, that is where you notice the weight of the vehicle. There is a noticeable difference in gas mileage between the RWD & AWD variants. I am refilling 1 additional time per month. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I still love the HTRAC, and like previous replies, buy what you like. Just be mindful of the gas mileage.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have never driven a RWD G80. My G80 Sport AWD is the best car I have ever driven in snow. I think the FWD van I had years ago may have been better. But this is better than my AWD Acura TL which was supposed to be very good. We have recently been hit with 14 inches of snow and this thing has handled very well. I did not drive it until the streets were plowed but did have to drive through some drifts where I bottomed out. It handled them with ease. I assume the 3.8 has the same AWD system so should be very good. It also handles very well when there is no snow.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have never driven a RWD G80. My G80 Sport AWD is the best car I have ever driven in snow. I think the FWD van I had years ago may have been better. But this is better than my AWD Acura TL which was supposed to be very good. We have recently been hit with 14 inches of snow and this thing has handled very well. I did not drive it until the streets were plowed but did have to drive through some drifts where I bottomed out. It handled them with ease. I assume the 3.8 has the same AWD system so should be very good. It also handles very well when there is no snow.
Lol I agree with you on the SH-AWD TL. It was meant for performance and corner carving and not for snow whatsoever. It wasn't intelligent enough to hold on to power in the front and always sent 70% to the back when stomped on even if on ice!
The Acura guys hated me for saying that the TL sucked in winter!

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
Lol I agree with you on the SH-AWD TL. It was meant for performance and corner carving and not for snow whatsoever. It wasn't intelligent enough to hold on to power in the front and always sent 70% to the back when stomped on even if on ice!
The Acura guys hated me for saying that the TL sucked in winter!
My '05 RL was the same way. It constantly hunted when on snow or ice.

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good point about the rear bias. It does help having the AWD but certainly have to remember it's a high horsepower car based on RWD dynamics so drive accordingly. Personally only driven in rain and dry and it's been excellent in ride and handling. I haven't driven the RWD car but compared to my RWD Mustang and other RWD/FWD cars I've owned the off the line grip and cornering are great.

Only time I've ever actually noticed it really doing a "thing" is when I jammed it off the line and I could feel the fronts scrobble for traction, which it got very quickly, and I shot off. Otherwise seems to be pretty out of the way.

daviderle

Registered Member
I have just recently purchased a 2016 3.8 RWD. Part of that process, I drove 4 vehicles back to back, 2 AWD and 2 RWD, here are some of my notes for what it’s worth:
  • The AWD ‘feels’ heavier.
  • The AWD engine sounds more strained under load.
  • The RWD ‘feels’ more nippy and eager to go.
  • The RWD returns marginally better gas mileage.
  • The AWD ‘feels’ more planted.
  • The AWD goes around corners with less fuss and slightly more accuracy.

Day to day, performance was more important to me, so I went with the 3.8 RWD, if I lived in a snow area I would have gone with the AWD in a heart beat.

I subsequently drove the AWD Sport and that thing is in a difrent league, If I had the choice that would have been it, but due to my situation I settled for a 5.0 which is wonderful in its own right.

Just my cents and good luck...

lindros2

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My '05 RL was the same way. It constantly hunted when on snow or ice.
Interesting.
I actually spun a 2005 RL on a highway entrance ramp. It was ~55 degrees with light rain/mist.
The coating on the roadway confused the SH-AWD system - I ended up in a power slide and couldn't recover.
AWD systems have come a long way since then...

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interesting.
I actually spun a 2005 RL on a highway entrance ramp. It was ~55 degrees with light rain/mist.
The coating on the roadway confused the SH-AWD system - I ended up in a power slide and couldn't recover.
AWD systems have come a long way since then...
Not sure about the latest iterations but the old one would send power to the back the second you turn your wheels because it thinks you want to take a spirited corner. Unfortunately that is dangerous is slippery or winter conditions.
The RL was the 1st Gen and the TL and MDX was 2nd Gen. 3rd Gen is hydraulic which reacts slower so maybe it is safer!

rroyce46

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Here in Canada we only get H Trac.
I have a 2016 3.8 Luxury & it handles nicer than the nose heavy 5.0 V8.
Best car I have ever driven on snow & icy roads in snowmode or eco & I only have the original Michelin Primacy tires.